Cost of insurance for new drivers

Watch
travelfiend
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I hope this is in the right place and makes sense! I'm hoping to do my driving test this summer to help me with commuting to work next year but I'm worried about the cost of insurance. I know that it varies a lot but I've seen anything from 1-3k a year for new drivers. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much they pay?
I'm 23, a girl and I live in London for reference!
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by travelfiend)
Hello,

I hope this is in the right place and makes sense! I'm hoping to do my driving test this summer to help me with commuting to work next year but I'm worried about the cost of insurance. I know that it varies a lot but I've seen anything from 1-3k a year for new drivers. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much they pay?
Hi there, as IWMTom will also tell you: an insurance premium is based on many, many, many factor. These can include, but are not limited to: age, crime rates, the cost of repairs to the car and what band the car fits into. A new driver will have to pay significantly more, in most cases, than other drivers; as you are inexperienced.

Even if I tell you how much I pay, I doubt it's going to help you out as I live in the country side with, thankfully, a very, very low crime rate; whereas in London there is a significantly higher crime rate.
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Hi there, as IWMTom will also tell you: an insurance premium is based on many, many, many factor. These can include, but are not limited to: age, crime rates, the cost of repairs to the car and what band the car fits into. A new driver will have to pay significantly more, in most cases, than other drivers; as you are inexperienced.

Even if I tell you how much I pay, I doubt it's going to help you out as I live in the country side with, thankfully, a very, very low crime rate; whereas in London there is a significantly higher crime rate.
Exactly this. Do some quotes.
Tubbz
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Now that insurance quotes are generated using accident risk data, because young people are most likely to be involved in an accident, they pay the most.

Depends on the car you want to insure, but I've not seen many people getting quoted under £1500 for their first policy.
DJ98
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tubbz)
Now that insurance quotes are generated using accident risk data, because young people are most likely to be involved in an accident, they pay the most.

Depends on the car you want to insure, but I've not seen many people getting quoted under £1500 for their first policy.
I'm getting quoted just under 1k just for a motorcycle, I'd hate to look at how much it'd cost me to insure a car. I don't live in the safest town though, so that likely contributes to it.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)

I agree.
Best to get some quotes for some of the cars you are interested in to get an idea of prices.
Treeroy
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
it's based on so many factors, if you want a proper answer go on a price comparison site.
username2269391
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm 23 and also live in London... my insurance was £1200 for a slightly powerful hatchback, I'm a new driver however I have two years of no-claims bonus from my moped days that helped lower the premium...

Still, as a female, your premium would probably be less than mine. If you for example live in East London like me, and have a hatchback with a 1.5 litre engine like mine then I imagine you'd be paying around £900-£1100.
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
I'm 23 and also live in London... my insurance was £1200 for a slightly powerful hatchback, I'm a new driver however I have two years of no-claims bonus from my moped days that helped lower the premium...

Still, as a female, your premium would probably be less than mine. If you for example live in East London like me, and have a hatchback with a 1.5 litre engine like mine then I imagine you'd be paying around £900-£1100.
Tell me, oh wise one, how you came to this range of figures. Saying upwards of £1 would be more accurate!
DJ98
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JavaScriptMaster)

I didn't think you could carry over your NCD to a car from a bike/moped?
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DJ98)
Some insurers allow it, some don't. Just the same as some will accept no claims as a named driver and give you a discount for it, despite a NCB not technically being there.
nextgenmedic
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by travelfiend)
Hello,

paid 1.3k got it from insurethebox
comes with black box but they wont cancel your insurance even if you drive badly lol - if the one u get has a black box make sure its a fixed premium and that it says they'll never cancel your insurance based on data from black boxes cause these can sometimes be a bit inaccurate
TY_9999
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nextgenmedic)
paid 1.3k got it from insurethebox
comes with black box but they wont cancel your insurance even if you drive badly lol - if the one u get has a black box make sure its a fixed premium and that it says they'll never cancel your insurance based on data from black boxes cause these can sometimes be a bit inaccurate
Insurance is ****ed cause the premium has risen so much. Cost me 800 with a box in my first drove fine no issues and for my 2nd year it's costing me around 1200 with a box again. Insurance companies are the scum of the earth.
username2269391
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Tell me, oh wise one, how you came to this range of figures. Saying upwards of £1 would be more accurate!
lol, it's just an estimate and I know that girls have lower premiums due to lack of testosterone. It can't be far off but I would have thought obviously, one should only take these figures with a grain of salt this post on TSR is not a comprehensive quote if that's what your thinking.
username2269391
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DJ98)
There's a few companies that do it I found a price-comparison site that had an option in the form that specifies you have NCD from a motorbike/moped, it only reduced my premium by £100
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SkylineR34)
I'm 18 living in East London, held license for a year.i got quoted £7000 for a box with admiral on my ford focus 1.6 😭 but it's alright because I know a loophole in the system which got it down to £1200 a year with direct line 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm intrigued - what's the loophole?
Tubbz
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm intrigued - what's the loophole?
Use a comparison site and don't only get a quote off one insurer?
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tubbz)
Use a comparison site and don't only get a quote off one insurer?
Hardly a loophole, not to mention Direct Line aren't on comparison sites!
Tubbz
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hardly a loophole, not to mention Direct Line aren't on comparison sites!
I'm guessing it's that or not providing accurate details.
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tubbz)
I'm guessing it's that or not providing accurate details.
That was my guess to be fair
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (18)
7.29%
October 2021 (117)
47.37%
November 2021 (25)
10.12%
December 2021 (32)
12.96%
January 2021 (21)
8.5%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (26)
10.53%