coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
ThiIs the negative charge on the carbon atom or on the nitrogen atom. This is different in 3 textbooks...

THANKS
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by coconut64)
ThiIs the negative charge on the carbon atom or on the nitrogen atom. This is different in 3 textbooks...

THANKS
Carbon (for my exam board (OCR A) anyway..)
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by coconut64)

THANKS
It isn't really on either, it's on the ion as a whole.

You can go through the accountancy of ascribing a formal charge to both atoms after having drawn Lewis structures, but this is just one approach to deciding which model you wish to use.

The actual structure is a two-centred particle with an overall negative charge.

If you draw out the most popular Lewis structure you end up with a triple bond between the atoms and a lone pair on each atom. The carbon has a formal charge of 1- while the nitrogen has a formal charge of 0.

However, this flies in the face of the higher electronegativity value of nitrogen, which would be expected to be more stable than carbon holding a negative charge.

So the two accountancy theories conflict one another.

For the purposes of A' level the former model, based on Lewis structures and Formal charge is usually considered to be the "answer".

This fits with some empirical evidence, which shows the cyanide ion to coordinate to transition metals via the carbon lone pair, however there are also isonitriles which bond through the nitrogen. So, even empirical evidence is a little ambiguous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (44)
40.74%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
19.44%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.56%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
8.33%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.33%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
10.19%

Watched Threads