The Student Room Group

URGENT! Did I just mess up my GCSE AQA Chemistry Unit 3?!?

Dear everyone, you know that question in the C3 Chemistry exam (the six marker) that asked you to explain the experiment of finding the energy of the alcohol (the six marker). The one that said "Do not refer to calculations" Well... That is exactly what I did (by mistake) I wrote the formula for energy transfer with temperature increase. That's all I did not insert any numbers I just wrote the formula and said "use this formula to calculate energy transfer". Will I get marked down because of this? I am really worried because the question said clearly not to refer to calculations which I stupidly did. Thank you so much in advance!!!!
question says don't refer to calculations

refers to calculations
Reply 2
That'd make a good meme but not really helping dude XD
Reply 3
Not really, you will get a mark deducted or at worse 2, so if everything else you wrote was correct then you would get 4/5
Reply 4
You won't get deducted marks, you just won't gain marks. As long as you didn't explain how to calculate it in too much detail I think you should be fine. Or, I hope so... I kind of did the same thing lol. But I just said "the student can use a calculation to calculate the energy change overall, which can be used to compare the energy changes between the two alcohols overall", which I hope is okay.

I don't think you messed up your entire C3 exam because of that, you might just miss out on a couple marks from the 6 marker though. Don't worry too much about it :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Andy2000
Not really, you will get a mark deducted or at worse 2, so if everything else you wrote was correct then you would get 4/5

you cant get deducted marks you can only gain them. the calculations part will just be ignored.
Examiners are told to mark positively, so they won't deduct marks, you just won't gain them. It's likely you'll still get a couple of the marks, and even so, science 3 normally have relatively low grade boundaries so you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest