The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Transgender males/females should be made to pay for their NHS treatment

As the title suggests, transgender individuals should pay for their own conversion surgery/treatment on the NHS.

Discuss.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why?
I'm assume you mean they have to finance specifically their conversion surgery, not general health care?

I can understand the logic behind them paying for their conversion surgery. 9/10 cosmetic surgeries aren't funded on the NHS, the individual has to fund it themselves. The tax payer shouldn't have to pay for a simply cosmetic desire.

However, people do get cosmetic surgery on the NHS if there is a big emotional/psychological effect on the individual. e.g. Weak chin surgery. You could argue transgenders would fall into this category as they possess a form of gender based psychological issues.
Original post by CTLevers
I'm assume you mean they have to finance specifically their conversion surgery, not general health care?

Yes and I have corrected to reflect this.

You could argue transgenders would fall into this category as they possess a form of gender based psychological issues.

If it's a psychological issue they need counselling or psychotherapy for this, not physical surgery.
(edited 6 years ago)
You could argue transgenders would fall into this category as they possess a form of gender based psychological issues.

If it's a mental issue they need counselling or psychotherapy for this, not physical surgery.
I have no vendetta against trans people but a boob job or an artificial penis is not necessary to survival.If a woman wants a nose job or a boob job to boost their confidence then is it's considered to be "unnecessary" and they're told to pay for their surgery.. So it's unfair to refuse to pay for a woman's boob job but if a transgender wants a boob job to feel womanly then that's is necessary and they don't have to pay for it.

What if the person was bullied over their nose or boob size and feels extremely insecure over it? I noticed if people get surgery to change their appearance they get backlash and labeled "fake" or told they don't have self love. On the other hand if a transgender person wants a boob job then that's okay and need it.
Reply 6
Yes or part fund.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SmileyVibe
If a woman wants a nose job or a boob job to boost their confidence then is it's considered to be "unnecessary" and they're told to pay for their surgery.. So it's unfair to refuse to pay for a woman's boob job but if a transgender wants a boob job to feel womanly then that's is necessary and they don't have to pay for it.

I was actually just thinking exactly the same thing, but you beat me to posting it!

Have a +1 for your wise observations! :smile:
Original post by Det.Hartigan
As the title suggests, transgender individuals should pay for their own conversion surgery/treatment on the NHS.

Discuss.

Absolutely. You can have the the surgery in the world but it is not going to change your chromosomal make-up. This is a first world problem and should not be indulged. I really object to my tax being used to fund this sort of nonsense.

Discuss.

no, 'transgenders' should not be allowed to have surgery, they need some good counselling instead.
In my opinion, unless their mental state is severe, transition surgery should not be provided on the NHS, though obviously it can be difficult if impossible to gauge mental state. The surgery itself, should obviously be allowed through private routes. I see nothing morally ill with the surgery. I honestly don't care what people wish to do with their own genitalia and hormones.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think there's an argument to say that such surgery shouldn't be legal at all, let alone provided for free by the NHS.

I'm all for people having the choice for what they want to do with their bodies, but this assumes that you have the mental capacity to make such decisions for yourself in a reasonably considered way, and are suitably well informed to ensure that they are in your own best interests.

For example, if a child goes to a doctor asking for a vasectomy, obviously the doctor shouldn't perform it, because that child isn't mentally capable of making its own decisions yet, or mature enough to bear the responsibility of that decision turning out not to be in their best interests. If an adult goes to a doctor asking to be injected with blood infected with HIV, obviously the doctor shouldn't do it, because that person either has no idea what HIV is, or has some mental issues causing them to believe it is in their best interests even though it is not. Similarly, if I go to a doctor asking to have my leg amputated because I feel like I should become a disabled person, there's no way it would ever be done.

In all these cases, the patient needs to either be provided with more accurate information, psychiatric help, or simply have their request denied by the doctor who has a professional duty of care.

Gender reassignment surgery shares similar features with the above examples. Firstly, in order to achieve the best results, it needs to be performed when the person is of a young age and hasn't fully developed all the physical features associated with their biological sex. Secondly, it is irreversible, and the person won't be able to do much about it if they later realise that it wasn't the right decision for them. Thirdly, people who request this kind of surgery are usually suffering from gender identity disorder, a psychiatric issue which impairs their objectivity when considering the suitability of a decision like this.
Reply 12
So much rubbish in this thread, I despair.

I can understand the logic behind them paying for their conversion surgery. 9/10 cosmetic surgeries aren't funded on the NHS, the individual has to fund it themselves. The tax payer shouldn't have to pay for a simply cosmetic desire.

However, people do get cosmetic surgery on the NHS if there is a big emotional/psychological effect on the individual. e.g. Weak chin surgery. You could argue transgenders would fall into this category as they possess a form of gender based psychological issues.

Gender reassignment is not cosmetic surgery.

If it's a psychological issue they need counselling or psychotherapy for this, not physical surgery.

Unless you're a qualified doctor I really don't see how you can possibly assert that with any authority. If there was an easy way to "cure" transgenderism, don't you think someone, somewhere might have done it already? The brain is delicate, and complicated. Changing someone's body is far easier.

Original post by squeakysquirrel
I really object to my tax being used to fund this sort of nonsense.

The NHS funds far more frivolous stuff than sex changes. Homeopathy, placebo remedies, alternative vaccines for parents scared by the MMR, I could go on.

Original post by tazarooni89
Gender reassignment surgery shares similar features with the above examples. Firstly, in order to achieve the best results, it needs to be performed when the person is of a young age and hasn't fully developed all the physical features associated with their biological sex. Secondly, it is irreversible, and the person won't be able to do much about it if they later realise that it wasn't the right decision for them. Thirdly, people who request this kind of surgery are usually suffering from gender identity disorder, a psychiatric issue which impairs their objectivity when considering the suitability of a decision like this.

Literally everything you posted in this paragraph is wrong.

While gender reassignment is typically done at a young age, that's because chances are if you're trans then you've been that way your entire life. There is just no point in waiting around doing nothing about what is a serious medical problem.

It is also not irreversible. At least, not totally. The process takes years, and involves tons of hormone therapy as well as counselling, support sessions and so on. Patients will live as their chosen gender for several years before the surgery takes place. They have the opportunity to change their mind during this phase of the process if living as the opposite sex doesn't work out for them.

Your final point is just ridiculous. "impairs their objectivity"? Someone who's admitted to hospital with appendicitis may ask for food, yet we don't refuse to treat them just because they're asking for the wrong thing.
Why are you so obsessed with the LGBT community? You keep making posts about it.

To answer you question, no one should be made to pay for anything on the NHS because the NHS was originally formed to provide free healthcare for everyone. I don't believe in the idea that people's health is something that should be used for profit.
Original post by Dez

Unless you're a qualified doctor I really don't see how you can possibly assert that with any authority. If there was an easy way to "cure" transgenderism, don't you think someone, somewhere might have done it already? The brain is delicate, and complicated. Changing someone's body is far easier.

The NHS funds far more frivolous stuff than sex changes. Homeopathy, placebo remedies, alternative vaccines for parents scared by the MMR, I could go on.

While gender reassignment is typically done at a young age, that's because chances are if you're trans then you've been that way your entire life. There is just no point in waiting around doing nothing about what is a serious medical problem.

It is also not irreversible. At least, not totally. The process takes years, and involves tons of hormone therapy as well as counselling, support sessions and so on. Patients will live as their chosen gender for several years before the surgery takes place. They have the opportunity to change their mind during this phase of the process if living as the opposite sex doesn't work out for them.

Your final point is just ridiculous. "impairs their objectivity"? Someone who's admitted to hospital with appendicitis may ask for food, yet we don't refuse to treat them just because they're asking for the wrong thing.

I agree with everything you've said but your points have been wasted on these people. Bigots can never be reasoned with.
Reply 15
No.
Original post by Dez

If it's something you want and not something you need then it's cosmetic surgery. An artificial penis is not necessary for survival
Original post by cherryred90s
An artificial penis is not necessary for survival

Neither is a hip replacement, NHS still funds them.
Yes they should, not from any personal standpoint

but from an economic one, the NHS is constantly and consistently stretched to its limits and over budget, not funding it means more money for essential life saving surgeries.
Original post by chloebooth
Neither is a hip replacement, NHS still funds them.

Because if you don't have it, it will affect your ability to walk and be mobile -_-

Latest