JimJam10
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I don't mean to be offensive but I find veganism so disgraceful and OTT. I mean, no eggs, milk, leather etc. the animals naturally produce these things!!! humans are not forcing them too. veggies is a diet but veganism is a religion. I really advise against a vegan diet, eating meat brings so many health benefits. any thoughts?
emmyrx
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JimJam10)
I don't mean to be offensive but I find veganism so disgraceful and OTT. I mean, no eggs, milk, leather etc. the animals naturally produce these things!!! humans are not forcing them too. veggies is a diet but veganism is a religion. I really advise against a vegan diet, eating meat brings so many health benefits. any thoughts?
You find eating nuts, grains, seeds, fruits and vegetables to be extreme... But not eating flesh and organs of animals?
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JimJam10)
Please look at the health benefits of veganism before you speak.You can get some much protein from vegetables.The agriculture industry is responsible for so much deforestation and pollution way more than the transport industry so please learn before you make such claims.
Roxirin
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emmyrx)
You find eating nuts, grains, seeds, fruits and vegetables to be extreme... But not eating flesh and organs of animals?
OP didn't say anything about nuts or grains... I think what they are trying to say is that particularly 'religious' vegans (the sort that preach about how eating meat is terrible and unnatural and how meat is unhealthy) are a little... much. It's fine if you really want to abstain entirely from animal products, but then going and shoving it down other people's throats isn't really going to help the matter. I understand that many vegans are vegan because they are against animal cruelty, however I believe there is no cruelty involved if the animals you get products from are free-range and live good, happy lives. Besides, what would you do with farm animals if the meat industry suddenly went bust? They are bred specifically for farming, they wouldn't survive in the wild. You'd either have to mass-slaughter all of them (which is definitely not good) or just... keep them. Which would be impractical.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
There's nothing wrong with eating meat, there's also nothing wrong with choosing not to eat meat, just keep it to yourself because nobody gives a s*** unless they're taking your food order.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Roxirin)
OP didn't say anything about nuts or grains... I think what they are trying to say is that particularly 'religious' vegans (the sort that preach about how eating meat is terrible and unnatural and how meat is unhealthy) are a little... much. It's fine if you really want to abstain entirely from animal products, but then going and shoving it down other people's throats isn't really going to help the matter. I understand that many vegans are vegan because they are against animal cruelty, however I believe there is no cruelty involved if the animals you get products from are free-range and live good, happy lives. Besides, what would you do with farm animals if the meat industry suddenly went bust? They are bred specifically for farming, they wouldn't survive in the wild. You'd either have to mass-slaughter all of them (which is definitely not good) or just... keep them. Which would be impractical.
Trigger warning: I'm about to state some facts that are a bit disturbing. If you don't want these facts 'shoved down your throat', then don't read them.

The modern animal industry is unavoidably cruel. The cows, chickens, and pigs that we consume today are the product of intensive selective breeding to massively improve their meat, egg, and milk production with no consideration for their quality of life. Their immune systems are compromised, and they gain weight so fast that their legs can't support them, leading to painful, lifelong health problems. They only continue to propagate by artificial insemination - they are physically incapable of sex. If they were humans, we would describe them as having birth defects, but because they're animals, it's just good business and we continue to select for those very genetic aberrations that make their lives hell.

'Free range' just means the barn or structure an animal was kept in has an open area that they have access to - but in most cases, the open area is so small, the enclosure so large, and the number of animals stuffed into the structure so appallingly massive, that the vast majority never see the light of day.

The meat industry is pretty obviously not going to suddenly go bust. Indeed, I'm not terribly bothered by what would happen to the current batch of farm animals if it did go bust - they were doomed to short, painful lives when they were conceived, and euthanasia is probably the best thing for them. I'm most interested in the dismantling of the system that continues to breed them in the first place.
Roxirin
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Trigger warning: I'm about to state some facts that are a bit disturbing. If you don't want these facts 'shoved down your throat', then don't read them.

The modern animal industry is unavoidably cruel. The cows, chickens, and pigs that we consume today are the product of intensive selective breeding to massively improve their meat, egg, and milk production with no consideration for their quality of life. Their immune systems are compromised, and they gain weight so fast that their legs can't support them, leading to painful, lifelong health problems. They only continue to propagate by artificial insemination - they are physically incapable of sex. If they were humans, we would describe them as having birth defects, but because they're animals, it's just good business and we continue to select for those very genetic aberrations that make their lives hell.

'Free range' just means the barn or structure an animal was kept in has an open area that they have access to - but in most cases, the open area is so small, the enclosure so large, and the number of animals stuffed into the structure so appallingly massive, that the vast majority never see the light of day.

The meat industry is pretty obviously not going to suddenly go bust. Indeed, I'm not terribly bothered by what would happen to the current batch of farm animals if it did go bust - they were doomed to short, painful lives when they were conceived, and euthanasia is probably the best thing for them. I'm most interested in the dismantling of the system that continues to breed them in the first place.
Hey, no need to be snippy. I do realise that all of this is indeed true, and I hate it as much as you do. No animal should be condemned to a painful life inside a cage. I don't know where you come from, but where I live (rural England), free range DOES ACTUALLY mean free range. I see the animals out in expansive fields every day on my daily commute, and walk my dog through fields of cows and sheep on a regular basis (cows are very nosy creatures!). I know these animals live good lives and are cared for by small local farms who share our values in terms of animal welfare. Heck, my best friend lives on a farm and I sometimes help out with farm tasks when I go to visit, feeding the lambs and moving the sheep and such. Dirty work maybe, but certainly not cruel. That's why I have no qualms about buying meat from our village's farm shop. I agree with you otherwise, though: A large majority of the farming industry is mass-produce and I hope that will change with efforts from respectable organisations such as the RSPCA (not PETA, good lord).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads