The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level Physics Advanced Physics I 15 june 2017 new spec

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olivia197
Do you think you would get away without mentioning the fact that equation 4 is wrong because it doesn't say we need to know about strangeness in the specification-
"understand how to use laws of conservation of charge, baryon number and lepton number to determine whether a particle interaction is possible" ?

apparently strangeness isnt conserved in any of them so youre fine and doesnt need to be conserved in weak interactions
Original post by Unnamed User
I thought only kaons have strangeness. Book 2 page 115 definition 3

Yeah youre right i edited it, im just confused as to where the other marks are in the question
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
Yeah youre right i edited it, im just confused as to where the other marks are in the question

I think I got it wrong if it isn't conserved in weak interactions though. Luckily I also talked about Baryon number and charge :biggrin:
(might scrape together a few marks out of the 6)
For the trolley rolling down the slope I read off the potential difference (0.64V) divided this by 1.5V then multiplied by 2m to find the length of the wire the data logger was connected in with then used s=(u+v)/2 x t to find the final velocity- is this right?
I think I got it wrong if it isn't conserved in weak interactions though. Luckily I also talked about Baryon number and charge :biggrin:
(might scrape together a few marks out of the 6)

same reckon i got 4 as i said and showed the equations either side like 1 to 0+1 etc but lost last 2 which i still dont know what they are, can you check my answers on the previous page and see if you got similar in other Qs
apparently strangeness isnt conserved in any of them so youre fine and doesnt need to be conserved in weak interactions

Oh ok- thank you!
For the trolley rolling down the slope I read off the potential difference (0.64V) divided this by 1.5V then multiplied by 2m to find the length of the wire the data logger was connected in with then used s=(u+v)/2 x t to find the final velocity- is this right?

What did you get? seems right
think i went the long way and used two other values to find acceleration then plugged back in to find velcoity
What did you get? seems right
think i went the long way and used two other values to find acceleration then plugged back in to find velcoity

About 1.14ms-1
Guys how do you do the trolley question. What equation do you use to find the angle, i had no idea. I read the graph a t= 1.5 and i got around 0.64. I then done 2m divided by 1.5V and then multiplied it by 0.64. I then that speed = distance / time to find speed. For the next part I did the same for t= 2 and then used acceleration = v-u/T. But after that I didn't know what to do.
About 1.14ms-1

i got 1.18 i reckon theyll have a little range on that question, maybe
i got 1.18 i reckon theyll have a little range on that question, maybe

Hopefully!
Reply 51
You had to use pythagoras with gravity and acceleration to work out an angle.

What did you guys put for Q8? multiple choice about coil and lamps... I just guessed..

And could someone explain the last question? Pretty sure I flopped :[
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Arnaez4
You had to use pythagoras with gravity and acceleration to work out an angle.

What did you guys put for Q8? I just guessed..

Yeah use their given values to work out acceleration
it was 0.79 or something
then mgsintheta=ma
theta=arcsin(a/9.81)
something like that
H i got as 2.29 - Yes
R the distance was 22.49 - Yes
derivaton p=w/t w=fd d=2pir t=2pi/ omega, 2pis cancel - Something similar... didn't use 2pi. Just used formula to get mgr*w
small pond used, only one less than 0.04N - Yes
Elecric field lines form posititve to negative, equipotential perpendicular to those, identical to one on page 40 of book 2 - Yes
Angle i got like 4.2 something, not in range of uncertainty - Yes, but it is in range... It was 1 degree, not percent, so between 3-5 degrees
speed i got 1.18 from voltage graph ( think i did wrong) - Yes, (8/7 m/s)
Bike one- pushes on pedals,applies force, unbalanced force, acceleration,drag increases,accelleartion decreases, constant velocity as forces balance - Yes
criticised by saying not 100% effficient, energy losses, work done to provide centripetal force on wheels, to make circular motion occur (Waffled) - Talked about work done against air resistance and friction and efficiency
6 marker in synchotron- magnetic field, right angles, force provided acts as centripetal ,electric field, accelerates between Dees, speeding up and causes ke to increase - Yes
Neutral baryon give couldnt be used as only charged particles seen in bubble chamber but looking at radius, curvature, direction and using princilple of conservation of momentum and FLHR we can deduce charge, speed etc. - Sort of... neutral particles don't ionise, whereas charged do
High enegery porotns, mass energy equivalnce, energy converted to mass, e=delta m c squared - Yes
more approprtaite than X ray as speciifcally target tumour, less ionising to nearby healthy cells
economically better, lower energy costs, better for patients, less ionising radiation damage - Yes, and more efficient

do these sound right

Sorry for doing it in the quote :tongue:
Pretty sure that an antilepton has lepton number -1. So the electron-positron pair is possible, like with photon pair decay. But Baryon number wasn't so I don't think it was possible
(edited 6 years ago)
Sorry for doing it in the quote :tongue:

Thank you, more confident now, dont even need physics as its not in my offer but happy to have done well
Reply 56
Wait was the bike question about speed of the bike or speed of the wheel?
Original post by DrNippleson
Pretty sure that an antilepton has lepton number -1. So the electron-positron pair is possible, like with photon pair decay.

baryon number isnt conserved though
H i got as 2.29
R the distance was 22.49
derivaton p=w/t w=fd d=2pir t=2pi/ omega, 2pis cancel
small pond used, only one less than 0.04N
Elecric field lines form posititve to negative, equipotential perpendicular to those, identical to one on page 40 of book 2
Angle i got like 4.2 something, not in range of uncertainty
speed i got 1.18 from voltage graph ( think i did wrong)
Bike one- pushes on pedals,applies force, unbalanced force, acceleration,drag increases,accelleartion decreases, constant velocity as forces balance
criticised by saying not 100% effficient, energy losses, work done to provide centripetal force on wheels, to make circular motion occur (Waffled)
6 marker in synchotron- magnetic field, right angles, force provided acts as centripetal ,electric field, accelerates between Dees, speeding up and causes ke to increase
Neutral baryon give couldnt be used as only charged particles seen in bubble chamber but looking at radius, curvature, direction and using princilple of conservation of momentum and FLHR we can deduce charge, speed etc.
High enegery porotns, mass energy equivalnce, energy converted to mass, e=delta m c squared
more approprtaite than X ray as speciifcally target tumour, less ionising to nearby healthy cells
economically better, lower energy costs, better for patients, less ionising radiation damage

do these sound right

just out of curiosity, what grade are you predicted? you sound like a mark scheme haha
Thank you, more confident now, dont even need physics as its not in my offer but happy to have done well

Nice! Good luck with the rest of your exams :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest