Labour Cabinet reshuffle Watch

samjacko9256
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Just wondered who everyone thinks will be promoted demoted with regards to the shadow front bench.

I think this is an opportunity for Jeremy to strengthen the parties chances of being elected whenever the next election is called.

John McDonnell- I think he performed well during the campaign and speaks eloquently in interview. I think he should be moved, I agree with his politics, but if labour want to be elected mcdonnell is a weak point for the cabinet describing himself as a 'marxist' which gets people worried, and he has shown naïvety to certain elements of government budgets such as how the government borrows. I recognise his long term friendship with jeremy but he should be moved to another cabinet position.

Diane abbot- performed poorly in interviews due to diabetes and so potentially its is excusable however the damage to her reputation has been done and the public do not like her and so she should also be moved to a less senior role, however she should keep a position on the front bench as a passionate and pioneering MP

Lots of MPs elected in 2015 are in the current shadow cabinet, potentially there are better candidates who are more skilled in public appearance and performance in the houses of parliament . I think Chuka should get a position he comes across very well and the public would like his calm demeanour. Cooper is also a good politician as is benn I think all three would add a great deal to the front bench. I do not think the party should shift to the right and can understand that these MPs would be classed as blairites but all three have since recognised that JC election campaign was very promising, and i think that they may only favour the right of the party thinking that the left would never succeed.

let me know what you think
Chichaldo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I disagree, shouldn't let people who fundamentally agree with Jeremy and can implement their vision go out of the window. Just because Abbot was bashed by the media doesn't take away her achievements and skills. If Corbyn demotes those front benchers they'll be annoyed which is of course not a reason not to demote them but whilst the ex-Corbyn 'doubters' are not in the front bench, they will be working as hard as possible to claim a space. Especially if another election is called and they want to be in the cabinet.
samjacko9256
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
"I disagree, shouldn't let people who fundamentally agree with Jeremy and can implement their vision go out of the window."

I think you have a point but dont you think the 'blairites' didnt support jeremys vision because they thought it had no chance of winning

Also do you not think that the front bench was a major reason why many people didnt vote for labour.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The problem is that they'll need people on the left of the party to be convincing. Otherwise you'll have some Blairite shadow cabinet people doing interviews and stuff when they themselves are not actually that passionate about the policy they're being questioned on. They might not be very good at arguing for those policies if deep down they don't actually at least partly agree with them.
Captain Poldark
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Neither Yvette Cooper or Hilary Benn will return to the cabinet and Diane Abbott will probably stay out for a while until her health is better.
Chichaldo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by samjacko9256)
"I disagree, shouldn't let people who fundamentally agree with Jeremy and can implement their vision go out of the window."

I think you have a point but dont you think the 'blairites' didnt support jeremys vision because they thought it had no chance of winning

Also do you not think that the front bench was a major reason why many people didnt vote for labour.
I think the media bashing of Abbot had a part to play but I think it would be unfair to give in to the media's unfair criticism. Would rather see her image built up, most trolls have only known her 2 weeks when she didn't handle her diabetes well. People in her constituency knows her great work over the years and that is personified by her having one of the largest majorities in the country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (83)
13.61%
1 (84)
13.77%
2 (79)
12.95%
19.84%
21.15%
18.69%

Watched Threads