Should I ask my principal not to share what I said?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello there everyone,

I am quite stressed because of a conversation I had with the principal yesterday. I stayed after school to do my project regarding a charity, and as I was waiting to be picked up my principal saw me on the stairs and asked how I was doing.

Naturally, I said I was fine and asked how he was doing, but he said I didn't look fine and kept asking until I gave in.
The thing is, I am a good student - I take the IB diploma and finished my first year with 41 out of 42 points. My social life is rather great as well - I am friends with everyone in my year, and there is no-one whom I dislike or who dislikes me. But despite these grades last few weeks something changed. I am still happy and social, but at the back of my head there is this thought...

I started questioning existence and its purpose. Don't get me wrong, life is great and I enjoy(ed) it, but somehow this thought won't get out of my head. Additionally, I told my principal how I doubt my choices in the IB as I probably am not going to get into my career of choice anyway since good grades prove little to nothing about ability. Wy bother trying then? Why not just give up?
He told me sometimes he felt the same way, but he said I should see myself the way my teachers and friends see me - "the quirky, funny, and intelligent young man".

But I don't see that. I focus only on the negatives, and never on the positives. It's somewhat good in my opinion, as I improve on my weaknesses. I try to improve those negatives, but it never is enough. I started thinking I want 85% in chemistry. Then it went to 88, then 90, then 95. I was never satisfied. The issue here is - I don't think this is anything to worry about, as it's probably just a phase of sorts.He seemed rather concerned, and every Friday there's a meeting in my school where students who raise concerns are discussed with the teachers.

I don't want that to happen to me. I know I will be fine, and this would just make it all worse. I won't be at school this Friday due to me leaving to Scotland, so I cannot contact him directly. I thought about sending an email, but then he'd have a "proof" of the conversation occurring. I also don't want to offend him by making it seem like he'd go and shout what we talked about to others...

I am not sure what to do - ignore it and the conversation, or send the email asking him to forget what we talked about?
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello there everyone,

I am quite stressed because of a conversation I had with the principal yesterday. I stayed after school to do my project regarding a charity, and as I was waiting to be picked up my principal saw me on the stairs and asked how I was doing.

Naturally, I said I was fine and asked how he was doing, but he said I didn't look fine and kept asking until I gave in.
The thing is, I am a good student - I take the IB diploma and finished my first year with 41 out of 42 points. My social life is rather great as well - I am friends with everyone in my year, and there is no-one whom I dislike or who dislikes me. But despite these grades last few weeks something changed. I am still happy and social, but at the back of my head there is this thought...

I started questioning existence and its purpose. Don't get me wrong, life is great and I enjoy(ed) it, but somehow this thought won't get out of my head. Additionally, I told my principal how I doubt my choices in the IB as I probably am not going to get into my career of choice anyway since good grades prove little to nothing about ability. Wy bother trying then? Why not just give up?
He told me sometimes he felt the same way, but he said I should see myself the way my teachers and friends see me - "the quirky, funny, and intelligent young man".

But I don't see that. I focus only on the negatives, and never on the positives. It's somewhat good in my opinion, as I improve on my weaknesses. I try to improve those negatives, but it never is enough. I started thinking I want 85% in chemistry. Then it went to 88, then 90, then 95. I was never satisfied. The issue here is - I don't think this is anything to worry about, as it's probably just a phase of sorts.He seemed rather concerned, and every Friday there's a meeting in my school where students who raise concerns are discussed with the teachers.

I don't want that to happen to me. I know I will be fine, and this would just make it all worse. I won't be at school this Friday due to me leaving to Scotland, so I cannot contact him directly. I thought about sending an email, but then he'd have a "proof" of the conversation occurring. I also don't want to offend him by making it seem like he'd go and shout what we talked about to others...

I am not sure what to do - ignore it and the conversation, or send the email asking him to forget what we talked about?
I doubt he'd tell anybody about it- it's clear that it's a semi private matter and it's not a huge deal anyway- but you could always drop him a quick email if you like. Even if it is brought up at the meeting I expect it will be a "keep a bit of an eye on OP. They seem a little down." and nothing more. Little things like that will be so common for teachers that it's not going to be a big deal for them.

If you are starting to feel a bit conflicted or unsure about life though you may want to have a chat with your school counsellor. It's not an unusual thing to be feeling at that sort of age, but can be annoying and confusing none the less. Having a chat with somebody like a counsellor can help you muddle through your thoughts a bit and is confidential.
It's just something to consider
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (68)
27.53%
No - I have already returned home (27)
10.93%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.65%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (26)
10.53%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.36%

Watched Threads