The Student Room Group

Wage negotiation

So I've been offered a 12 month placement at a top asset manager, I know I'm not in a powerful position to negotiate but am I right in saying £20,000 per annum is low for london. Commuting will be expensive and the oppourtunty cost is waiting another year to complete degree, opinions please ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You could raise the issue and say you wouldn't be able to afford the living expenses and/or commute and see what they can do.
Reply 2
Original post by Paulallenschow
So I've been offered a 12 month placement at a top asset manager, I know I'm not in a powerful position to negotiate but am I right in saying £20,000 per annum is low for london. Commuting will be expensive and the oppourtunty cost is waiting another year to complete degree, opinions please ?

Is that a trainee position which is also open to college graduates? If so, dont think you'll be able to negotiate. If ur placement is in research though, i think its more than worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souman
Is that a trainee position which is also open to college graduates? If so, dont think you'll be able to negotiate. If ur placement is in research though, i think its more than worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a placentment between 2nd and 3rd years.

You will not be able to negotiate, don't even try. There is almost no upside but huge downside. It will get you starting on bad terms. If you want a higher salary, then you need to find something else. £20,000 is extremely low for London but unfortunately it is the going rate for the majority of placement years. The graduate salary should be significantly higher than that so worth doing it, either for that, or for the experience that will lead to a much higher paying role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
just accept you will have no disposable income
I doubt there will be much room for negotiations, firms will have a set amount they pay to all their gap year students. It might increase between years but they are unlikely to give more to someone who asks.

Placement years are mostly about gaining experience in your field anyway, but £20,000 is still a really good salary. I've worked in places that don't even give that to graduates (although not in London).
Original post by DarkMagic
I doubt there will be much room for negotiations, firms will have a set amount they pay to all their gap year students. It might increase between years but they are unlikely to give more to someone who asks.

Placement years are mostly about gaining experience in your field anyway, but £20,000 is still a really good salary. I've worked in places that don't even give that to graduates (although not in London).

rent = 12k a year
travel = 2k a year
food = remainder

lol 20k in London is asking to use food shelters
Original post by gr8wizard10
rent = 12k a year
travel = 2k a year
food = remainder

Really rent where I live in London is £120 a week including all bills
Total £6240

Food can be done for 20-40 a week £1560 a year

So that's 20k-7.8k

leaves £12200
2k for travel (sounds wrong but still)

Leaves 10,200 a year
Original post by gr8wizard10
rent = 12k a year
travel = 2k a year
food = remainder

Where do you get 12k for rent from
Also 6k a year is ridiculously high just for food anyway
Original post by niteninja1
Also 6k a year is ridiculously high just for food anyway

pretty sure I spend 6k a month, with my accounts rate of depletion xD
Reply 12
Really rent where I live in London is £120 a week including all bills
Total £6240

Food can be done for 20-40 a week £1560 a year

So that's 20k-7.8k

leaves £12200
2k for travel (sounds wrong but still)

Leaves 10,200 a year

Food £20pw??? What are you fed on? Noodle pots?

And 120pw will be either a horrible room or quite far from centre, that will cost you much more in commuting in time/money.
(edited 6 years ago)
Where do you get 12k for rent from

A quick look on Rightmove reveals a shithole (almost falling apart) one bedroom studio apartment in Zone 1 or 2 will set you back £10-12,000 per year in rent. A room will set you back about 20% less than this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by verier
Food £20pw??? What are you fed on? Noodle pots?

And 120pw will be either a horrible room or quite far from centre, that will cost you much more in commuting in time/money.

No according to the uk average a single person spends £120 a month on food
Original post by Commercial Paper
A quick look on Rightmove reveals a shithole (almost falling apart) one bedroom studio apartment in Zone 1 or 2 will set you back £10-12,000 per year in rent. A room will set you back about 20% less than this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See nobody said it had to be central.
Also remember this is a student on placement
Reply 16

120pm?? where you got that from?
£4 per day is impossible, even if you buy a sandwich from tesco, it will be £3
and ofcourse average vs london is huge difference
(edited 6 years ago)
Job is in Canary Wharf, can commute via train about 45 mins journey, plus 20min drive to station. Cost of train works out to be £14-15 a day, car parking space is about £1500 a year, petrol £20 a week, after tax and living costs I will have virtually no disposable income left which kind of disincentives the year even if experience is good, then again would I want to work there after I graduate if the wage is so low? From what I've heard first year graduate is not much higher :frown:
Reply 18
Job is in Canary Wharf, can commute via train about 45 mins journey, plus 20min drive to station. Cost of train works out to be £14-15 a day, car parking space is about £1500 a year, petrol £20 a week, after tax and living costs I will have virtually no disposable income left which kind of disincentives the year even if experience is good, then again would I want to work there after I graduate if the wage is so low? From what I've heard first year graduate is not much higher :frown:

What kind of 'top asset manager' is that that pays grads so low?

lol your average is probably in africa.. £120/month on food.. lunch itself cost about £10.. so that's £12 lunches and starve the rest of the days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending