The Student Room Group

AQA PHYSICS A Level UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME - 15th June 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by 007mnbb
For the blue and red light refraction question, surely the refractive index in both substances will be greater or less as it said in the question the refractive index is higher/lower in any material, would that not mean the ratio of n1 to n2 would be the same and hence they would both go at 90 degrees as well

I thought this - it was nagging at me for ages but I couldn't think how that would be worth three marks. In the end I went with saying that red would refract out of the block and into the liquid (with r<90) and that blue would TIR because the critical angle for blue would be <58.

In hindsight, I think I was right the first time. I can see now how it would be worth three marks:
-change to n applies to both block and liquid
-ratio of n2/n1 remains the same
-both red and blue will refract with angle of refraction = 90

Bum.
Reply 81
Original post by Ibmonster
mass A had the two blocks on it? so woudnt have a larger mass? DX

"Compare the momentum of loaded trolley A as it moves downwards with the momentum of loaded trolley B"

Stupid wording. I assume they want you to say that the momentum would be the same, but wish they'd added the word downwards at the end to make it clear. It seems too easy to ask you to compare the momentums of each trolley when they're loaded and on the way down (i.e. on two consecutive trips), which means they're really testing your ability to read a badly worded question and not your physics knowledge.
Original post by Weejock
"Compare the momentum of loaded trolley A as it moves downwards with the momentum of loaded trolley B"

Stupid wording. I assume they want you to say that the momentum would be the same, but wish they'd added the word downwards at the end to make it clear. It seems too easy to ask you to compare the momentums of each trolley when they're loaded and on the way down (i.e. on two consecutive trips), which means they're really testing your ability to read a badly worded question and not your physics knowledge.

damn :frown:
Must say that paper was an unexpected killer, never said "I'll do that one at the end" in any paper before... All a blur and had to guess 12 multiple choices because of timing :frown:
For the refractive indexes of red and blue light i'm worried i got it backwards despite a gut instinct i had it wrong, anyone remember the question exactly? I said red would refract slightly less than 90 degrees from the norm while blue would be totally internally reflected... give me the news, did i fook oop?
The max i could have got is 60%. is that enough for an A?
you know for the ladder question my resultant force was 84.4N i took cos30 by 94N why is this wrong
Original post by Weejock

For that one I wrote that B is doing work against gravity so smaller resultant force hence smaller momentum. Is this right as B is going Up
Original post by Ibmonster
for the momentum of the block i put that A would have a larger momentum than B since they are both moving with the same velocity and A has a larger mass?

But A doesnt have a larger mass. It said compare the momentum of a LOADED trolley A moving down hill with LOADED trolley B. So both have the same mass.
Original post by anissabir95
For that one I wrote that B is doing work against gravity so smaller resultant force hence smaller momentum. Is this right as B is going Up

Im afraid not, altough the question was horribly worded.

Original post by Weejock

I agree. It was worded in an awful way and for it to be 2 marks was confusing, since it didn't state what was happening to trolley B.
Original post by Amirali_Mr
Im afraid not, altough the question was horribly worded.

I agree. It was worded in an awful way and for it to be 2 marks was confusing, since it didn't state what was happening to trolley B.

then whats the right answer
then whats the right answer

Well if they meant when LOADED trolley B goes down, then the momentum is the same since, LOADED A and LOADED B have same mass and they move with same speed in same direction, therefore they have the same velocity. So their momentum is the same.
If they meant a stationary LOADED trolley B, then the momentum is zero for B and momentum of LOADED Trolley A is (M+2M)* Change in V
Well if they meant when LOADED trolley B goes down, then the momentum is the same since, LOADED A and LOADED B have same mass and they move with same speed in same direction, therefore they have the same velocity. So their momentum is the same.
If they meant a stationary LOADED trolley B, then the momentum is zero for B and momentum of LOADED Trolley A is (M+2M)* Change in V

how about the ladder question. what did u write for that?

how can B be stationary if A is moving. they're both attached to the same pulley. so if A is moving then B has to be moving as well?
how can B be stationary if A is moving. they're both attached to the same pulley. so if A is moving then B has to be moving as well?

When they are reloaded blocks onto it both are stationary. THIS IS WHAT IM SAYING THE QUESTION IS WORDED HORRIBLY xD
Well I messed up and didn't use moments. The correct answer was something like 120N.... somewhere between 100-150N i dont remember exactly. but you would use moments about G
how about the ladder question. what did u write for that?
Well I messed up and didn't use moments. The correct answer was something like 120N.... somewhere between 100-150N i dont remember exactly. but you would use moments about G

thats what i did i then got 98N for the perpendicular force i took cos30 of that and i got 84N. Bare man here got 112N. I dont know how
When they are reloaded blocks onto it both are stationary. THIS IS WHAT IM SAYING THE QUESTION IS WORDED HORRIBLY xD

lol i dont get it we'll just have to wait tfor official mark scheme. lets move on. what do you think u got overall.
lol i dont get it we'll just have to wait tfor official mark scheme. lets move on. what do you think u got overall.

Overall I feel like i got around 73-75%

thats exactly the same concept though. One stationary so is the other one.
Overall I feel like i got around 73-75%

i reckon 60 so bit less than 75%. You got a good mark by the looks of it. What was ur K value for the spring question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending