glioma
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey,

I was just hoping to get some advice regarding sitting the exam in September as I am not sure of the recommend time frame to study for it. I am worried that there may not be enough time till September to prepare for the exam. It would be great to hear your experience if you have already sat the exam and how long did it take you to prepare for it. Also, I was thinking of studying basic sciences book and grant's atlas of anatomy along with pastest questions. Any other sources would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you!
plrodham1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by glioma)
Hey,

I was just hoping to get some advice regarding sitting the exam in September as I am not sure of the recommend time frame to study for it. I am worried that there may not be enough time till September to prepare for the exam. It would be great to hear your experience if you have already sat the exam and how long did it take you to prepare for it. Also, I was thinking of studying basic sciences book and grant's atlas of anatomy along with pastest questions. Any other sources would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you!
Should be plenty of time. Personally i spent 10-12 weeks of which 4 was just straight anatomy. The basic science book is nice and concise. I personally used grays and netters for anatomy then used the two pass test books for principles of surgery and specialties. Used eMRCS for my question bank which was very similar to the questions in the exam and is very cheap (£30 or something for 3-4 months). To be honest the exam could be prepared for purely by doing lots of questions, though obviously you want a better foundation for when you come to sit part B.
glioma
Rep:
?
(Original post by plrodham1)
Should be plenty of time. Personally i spent 10-12 weeks of which 4 was just straight anatomy. The basic science book is nice and concise. I personally used grays and netters for anatomy then used the two pass test books for principles of surgery and specialties. Used eMRCS for my question bank which was very similar to the questions in the exam and is very cheap (£30 or something for 3-4 months). To be honest the exam could be prepared for purely by doing lots of questions, though obviously you want a better foundation for when you come to sit part B.

Thank you, I really appreciate it!
MonteCristo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree that the online question banks are the way to pass MRCS Part A. You will need to take a different approach (targeted book revision) for Part B and some people start this early, e.g. as part of their preparation for Part A. I wouldn't let this interfere with your online questions, though. I suspect that 2000 is the minimum you need to work through but you would be in safer territory with 3000. PasTest or OnExamination.
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How anatomy-heavy is the MRCS? Is the qualification equivalent to, for example, an intercalated Master's in Anatomy?
plrodham1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MonteCristo)
I agree that the online question banks are the way to pass MRCS Part A. You will need to take a different approach (targeted book revision) for Part B and some people start this early, e.g. as part of their preparation for Part A. I wouldn't let this interfere with your online questions, though. I suspect that 2000 is the minimum you need to work through but you would be in safer territory with 3000. PasTest or OnExamination.
Are there any particular resources you would advise for part B? Will most likely be aiming to undertake the April sitting so will need to get moving following applications!
glioma
Rep:
?
(Original post by MonteCristo)
Thank you!
MonteCristo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by plrodham1)
Are there any particular resources you would advise for part B? Will most likely be aiming to undertake the April sitting so will need to get moving following applications!
I personally would target the specific stations as there are only a limited number that can come up and candidates who've already been through the exam are easy to find. Surgical Critical Care Vivas covers exactly the right topics at the right level for the critical care stations.

Recent MRCS candidates will be able to talk you through the practical skills and clinical encounter stations that come up.

Anatomy is of course the tricky bit for most candidates, particularly if this wasn't well delivered/received at medical school. It's probably worth investing in some courses if you have cash spare - I did one at Guy's and another at Cardiff. Both used the same poor quality ragged specimens that turn up in the MRCS!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed