Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    could someone give me an answer to describing the steps in the hydrological cycle. It's for higher geography a 4 mark question. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done higher geography, but the hydrological cycle generally involves the following:

Water on the land and ocean surface is evaporated by heat from the Sun, changing from its liquid form to its gaseous form. Once in the atmosphere, the water vapour is moved by air currents, then rises, cools and condenses, falling back onto the land or ocean surface as precipitation, e.g. rain and snow.

If the water falls onto or close to vegetation, it may be returned to the atmosphere by direct evaporation, or taken up through the plant roots and released via transpiration through the pores in plant leaves. Water may also flow into rivers via surface runoff, or infiltrate into the soil and flow downslope as throughflow. Alternatively, if the bedrock is permeable, the water may percolate down into the bedrock, and flow into rivers or the ocean as groundwater flow. Once the water is returned to the oceans, it gets evaporated and the cycle starts again.

I hope that helps

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.