TonyGor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I am a Channel Island student planning to apply for the loan, I have gotten the offer for my course. I started the application process for the loan but some parts say Channel Islands students aren't eligible (for example using my home address in Jersey), but the website says if I've lived in England, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years prior to the course then I am eligible.

The application form is lacking in clarity and detail and all information, both online, phoning up all are very ambiguous. Does anyone know? Are there any Channel Islanders having received the postgraduate loan? Is there an email address with which I can contact the Postgraduate Student Loan scheme so that I can find out the correct information, when contacting via phone, I'm only given vague and ambiguous answers.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TonyGor)
Hi, I am a Channel Island student planning to apply for the loan, I have gotten the offer for my course. I started the application process for the loan but some parts say Channel Islands students aren't eligible (for example using my home address in Jersey), but the website says if I've lived in England, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years prior to the course then I am eligible.

The application form is lacking in clarity and detail and all information, both online, phoning up all are very ambiguous. Does anyone know? Are there any Channel Islanders having received the postgraduate loan? Is there an email address with which I can contact the Postgraduate Student Loan scheme so that I can find out the correct information, when contacting via phone, I'm only given vague and ambiguous answers.
I'm a bit confused about why they're giving you vague answers as they usually discuss your situation with you and then advise. I'm moving this to the finance forum as they will then respond to you directly.
TonyGor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am confused about why they gave me vague answers when I phoned up, it was like asking questions of people who didn't seem to know the answer themselves. Getting replies like 'try this' or 'try that'. I felt this was totally unhelpful and am wondering if there is an email address or another way of communication to ensure the issue can be resolved and not merely wait until it is too late.

Can I contact me via Student Room, or is there an email address I can contact? As I need to get help as soon as possible and unfortunately in the 7 times I've phoned up, only once did I get a helpful response, of which that single time the advice may have been incorrect in the first place.
Stuart SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TonyGor)

Hi TonyGor,

You can get the Postgraduate Loan if all of the following apply:

- you’re a UK or EU national, or have ‘settled status’, so there are no restrictions on how long you can stay

- you normally live in England, and didn’t move there just to study

- you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

So if you don't normally live in England and are moving for the purposes of study you should apply for funding from the relevant award authority

Thanks
Jchadwick
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi
This seems contradictory, how can you normally live in England, and didn’t move for study and be living in the UK, Channel Islands, isla of man fir 3 yrs prior to starting your course?Thanks
Last edited by Jchadwick; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
14.84%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.47%
I need help with my personal statement (48)
37.5%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (33)
25.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.34%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.81%

Watched Threads