The Student Room Group

M2 (Hinges) Questions

I dont understand how hinges work in M2..
Do they always act --------> horizontally (towards the rod) and up vertically? Also if the rod is not perpendicular to the wall does it still act like that or does it act at an angle. Also for one of the questions in the book the below picture...

I dont understand how the forces at the hinges work theres only 1 force from the BC rod and two forces at A from the rod AB

So for the madasmaths questions, on this link

https://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/mechanics/m2_equilibrium_of_rigid_bodies.pdf

question 15 question 10

He has done the forces on the hinges differently so why is that
Usually i just make the forces right (horizontal) and up vertical but hes done up and left on one of the questions and down and left on the other question

paint.png
Reply 1
Original post by Carman3
I dont understand how hinges work in M2..
Do they always act --------> horizontally (towards the rod) and up vertically? Also if the rod is not perpendicular to the wall does it still act like that or does it act at an angle. Also for one of the questions in the book the below picture...

I dont understand how the forces at the hinges work theres only 1 force from the BC rod and two forces at A from the rod AB

So for the madasmaths questions, on this link

https://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/mechanics/m2_equilibrium_of_rigid_bodies.pdf

question 15 question 10

He has done the forces on the hinges differently so why is that
Usually i just make the forces right (horizontal) and up vertical but hes done up and left on one of the questions and down and left on the other question

paint.png

Don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure you can draw it up and to the right all the time then if you get negatives it just means it was in the opposite direction to the way you drew it (e.g. down and to the left) The answer you get will tell you the direction of the arrows. But I don't think it will make much difference to your calculations

But there are times when you can tell if its down and to the left or up etc. by just like looking at all the forces and directions they are acting at. You then ask yourself where would this force have to be for it to balance out the other forces, something like that

Hope I was somewhat helpful
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest