The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
CNN Center
Thank you for your reply, anonymity. For the money I'm going to have to spend over the three years, I sure hope I will do well.

How does the International Relations courses across the Atlantic at say, Georgetown or Columbia, compare to that taught at the LSE? In general, which, if any, course is held in higher regard by employers and academics alike? Of course, any comparison will be as problematic as comparing chalk and cheese. However, they are after all International Relations courses so it would be safe to assume that there are sufficient threads for comparison.

I understand that the International Relations course at Georgetown is more broad-based. Students have to complete modules in religions, literature etc. I don't suppose I'll deal with any modules on English Literature at the LSE. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but Georgetown students spend a greater deal of time learning a foreign language. Indeed, learning a foreign language is central to the course at Georgetown.

I think that the reputation of GT, Columbia and LSE is comparable. The only difference is that American unis have some core requirements (i.e. you'd probably have to take quantitative methods, micro and macro) to graduate in IR, whereas at LSE it's much more customizable (some people graduate without ever having taken introductory econ or law). As long as you don't go for the "easy" options, I think an LSE degree in IR will be very well regarded. You might encounter problems if you want to work in the US straight out of undergrad because they usually require a 4 year bachelor's degree. However, I'm only saying this based on what happened to one of my acquaintances, so you might be OK with a 3year BSc in most cases.

I'm afraid I can't help you much, I suggest you ask your tutor or the careers service for unbiased opinions as what I'm saying is mostly based on personal experience.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
CNN Center
How does the International Relations courses across the Atlantic at say, Georgetown or Columbia, compare to that taught at the LSE?
I think all are seen as excellent. There are advantages / disadvantages everywhere, and up to you to make most of it. Personally, I could not stand studying in the US in the current climate, moreover IR. I applied last year to the US... I think my essays were excellent, but the I am sure my Europeans views were held against me (e.g. I argued that we'd be better off fighting injustice thru active political involvement and research rather than charity).
[QUOTE= held in higher regard by employers and academics alike?
We are just talking about an undergrad degree... what further education / traineeships etc u have is critical
[QUOTE= more broad-based.
US univs are more broad based / can easily change majors. LSE is very traditional even among UK univs. IF you are not sure what you want to do, then a flexible course is an advantage.
[QUOTE= modules in religions, literature etc.
There are fewer courses in LSE, but longer, more in-depth. I prefer the latter
[QUOTE= English Literature at the LSE.
Yes there are courses in Lit (and not just English language for learners!). The course options are very very wide. But because most course are one year long, you will have certainly fewer tasting opportunities than in the US. Nothing stops you from sitting in on different courses though.
[QUOTE= foreign language.
Languages can be taken as an option. Many take a langauge or languages in addition to normal course load, and that gives them an additional certificate. IR LSE students are generally pretty multilingual anyway... that is part of the reason why they are there.
Reply 22
Thank you for your replies, anonymity and africa.
I'm applying for International Relations. I don't think I'll get in, though.
Reply 24
School is starting soon (call me paranoid and perhaps even a tad crazy) but I'm getting nervous now!

Would any undergraduate or graduate care to enlighten me as to how I may best prepare for my course come September? Perhaps I should read? Perhaps I should write?
Reply 25
CNN Center
Also, correct me if I'm wrong but Georgetown students spend a greater deal of time learning a foreign language. Indeed, learning a foreign language is central to the course at Georgetown.

You can study a foreign language as an option, I think. There is some information on this in the LSE Undergraduate Prospectus. You might want to consult it.

I've applied for Bsc IR for 2005 entry. I will be 19 years old at the start of the course, I notice that you are exactly 2 years and 1 day older than me!

I also have a friend who is going to begin the BSc IR course in 2005- she applied last year, deffering her entry to take a Gap Year and has already been accepted on the course. I am currently studying International Politics A level, so I suppose it's not all unfamiliar to me.

I might see you there! :wink:
You can definately do a language as one of your four modules. Anything apart from Welsh.

As for preliminary reading before coming in September, it really isn't that necessary. The first year is pretty introductory, we certainly won't be covering post-positivist thought! Also, in your first year you only actually get one module out of your four taught in the IR department itself. My four modules are as follows -

IR - The structure of international society (compulsary)

International History - International history since 1890 (compulsary)

Government - Introduction to political theory (I chose out of Introduction to Political theory, Philosophy or Sociology)

International History - National Identity in the British Isles 1707-1951 (free choice module)

So you see, reading lots of in-depth IR might be fun but not very useful. I would just read a copy of "Introduction to International Relations" by Chris Brown (my tutor!) or Nicholson.
Reply 27
Xanthe, you are quite right, I am two years and a day older than you are. Like your friend, I also applied for International Relations at LSE this time last year, having deferred due to my National Service (i.e. conscription) commitments here in Singapore. I certainly wish you nothing but the best on your application.

If you do get in, Xanthe, it looks like you would have quite a headstart given your choice of subjects at "A"-level.

I should think picking up French or Spanish would be quite useful for the field of international relations. French because it's the official working language of the United Nations and that of many African countries, and Spanish because pretty much the whole of South America speaks that. Just my two cents' worth. Being an ethnic Chinese, I'm already bilingual so hopefully, I'll be able to learn French, preferably, at LSE.

feedtheflamingo, I thank you for your feedback. I get the impression that first year will be pretty basic. I also get the impression that we won't be too busy and stressed up in the first year. Am I right to say so?

Yes, I have read both "Understanding International Relations" by Chris Brown and "Introduction to International Relations" by Michael Nicholson. I must say the former was very useful and concise although the latter could have done with a tad more depth. However, to be safe, I think I should continue reading. Besides, it's all good fun.
I also get the impression that we won't be too busy and stressed up in the first year. Am I right to say so?

.......Methinks not!
Reply 29
Great, all the more reason to prepare! :biggrin:
Reply 30
feedtheflamingo
You can definately do a language as one of your four modules. Anything apart from Welsh.

What is it with you and the Welsh?! :wink:

Did you know that when George Bush visited Charlotte Church in 2001 he asked her which state Wales was in?!. She replied: "It's a seperate country next to England". :wink:
Reply 31
I am appalled if that anecdote is true, but not surprised.
Reply 32
A lot of people haven't heard of Wales, it's a tiny little country. My sister is going on a school trip there and someone in her class thought you needed a passport to go to Wales...plenty of homegrown ignoramuses...
Reply 33
ive applied for international relations/ history.

could any of you tell me how long it took them to reply, and what they look for IR prospective undergrad students?
Reply 34
i applied to IR/His and Gov/His at LSE. Got in for both. Can anyone tell me the diff btw IR and Gov at LSE? I thought i'd only get into one so now i have the trouble of deciding which to take.
Reply 35
When did you send off your UCAS form? (ie how long did it take for them to get back to you) They haven't got back to me...yet...

Have you studied any of these subjects (for example, at A level)? I suppose that's how I decided...
I get that about the Welsh as well. And the 'witty' stereotypes do get boring pretty quickly.

Anyway... I'm thinking about applying for IR next year (entry 2006), and I was wondering what people think of my A Level choices as far as IR is concerned. I'm doing English Lit, History, French and German. Basically, do you think I would get penalised for doing a second language instead of another humanity/social science? Admittedly my first choice would be to do an IR/French instead, but somebody has pointed out that you can configure your modules in certain ways - plus there's nothing stopping me from continuing it on the side. The other thing, is there a ERASMUS (sp?) scheme running, that would let me take a year out in France.

Cheers in advance!
Reply 37
to saaye:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/calendar/courseGuides/undergraduate.htm

all the GV courses are government, HY history and IR international relations, see which course descriptions you like most (but bear in mind that the quality of the lecturer will greatly affect the quality of the course).

to benjones:

if you're doing straight IR you can take up to one language unit per year, including french. this is a pretty easy way to get at least a 2.1 as language courses are generally "easier" than full units (ex. compare the workload between french language & society1 and international history since 1890).

there is an erasmus exchange but only with the freie universität in berlin. you need to be fluent in german to qualify but, even so, when i asked for more information about it i was told that "nobody really does it". i understood why in my second year. i really don't think i could have achieved the same type of progress academically if i had been elsewhere. erasmus years are usually less intense academically and you would need to adjust to a new system. while this would have its benefits in terms of "seeing a different perspective blablabla" i think that the costs would outweigh them. not to mention that the LSE is a much better university than the FUB, where you can just about forget classes of sizes smaller than 15 students *if* you're even lucky to have classes (most of their courses are solely lecture based).

maybe i should add a disclaimer saying that this is just an opinion (since i haven't actually *been* to FUB but only read about student protests about crumbling buildings and tuition fees in der Spiegel and the economist).
Reply 38
saaye
i applied to IR/His and Gov/His at LSE. Got in for both. Can anyone tell me the diff btw IR and Gov at LSE? I thought i'd only get into one so now i have the trouble of deciding which to take.

Hey! ....i didnt know that you could apply for 2 courses at the same university!
thats really good that you got an offer for both!! :biggrin: congrats..
ir/history sounds much more of an interesting course, thats why i applied for that! but i havent had an offer yet? :frown:
well in ir/history, its more related to international non-governmental organisations and also another way of saying global politics..thats all i know
LSE is my top choice uni so i'm hanging on any info they send me by mail etc. I got this letter saying I was on a short list? Is that good or bad? I applied for govt. BSc with predictions of AAB and am really jealous of all you guys who live la vida down there.

Latest

Trending

Trending