The Student Room Group

Financial help needed, urgent.

Recently I have broken my ankle and now in recovery. As a result my uni attendance and work have suffered. I'm a student at London Met and started in Feb. Having already missed quite a few classes/weeks, before the accident as well, I have been advised to defer and re take this year in September. Sounds ideal but if I do defer I will lose funding/access to funds.

My next student finance payment isn't due until September, unless there is a way to get that put forward as soon as possible. I'm getting desperate, got less than £200 and in rent arrears too. Can't get a job at the moment because of my leg being in a cast and other factors.

What can I do?
See if your uni has hardship funds, you can't get your loan early

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChelseaB2604
Recently I have broken my ankle and now in recovery. As a result my uni attendance and work have suffered. I'm a student at London Met and started in Feb. Having already missed quite a few classes/weeks, before the accident as well, I have been advised to defer and re take this year in September. Sounds ideal but if I do defer I will lose funding/access to funds.

My next student finance payment isn't due until September, unless there is a way to get that put forward as soon as possible. I'm getting desperate, got less than £200 and in rent arrears too. Can't get a job at the moment because of my leg being in a cast and other factors.

What can I do?

You might be eligible for 60 days exemption funding but you won't get a loan earlier, have you maxed your overdraft?
Original post by fxlloutboyy
See if your uni has hardship funds, you can't get your loan early

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do but I won't have access to it once I defer
Original post by claireestelle
You might be eligible for 60 days exemption funding but you won't get a loan earlier, have you maxed your overdraft?

So how do I get that?
Yep. Only got a £500 overdraft and £300 into it
Well ask your parents. I am aware it is kind of obvious and you probably already tried/thought of it but always worth noting it down

What can I do?

"broken my ankle" have you heard of crutches??
Original post by Mohammed_Master
Well ask your parents. I am aware it is kind of obvious and you probably already tried/thought of it but always worth noting it down

Oh they are as broke as I am and owe me money they don't have
Original post by That'sGreat
"broken my ankle" have you heard of crutches??

I'm on crutches, live on my own. Considerable commute to uni, can't transport materials very well, yes I have a back pack but larger materials since I'm an art student. If you've been on crutches you'd know the struggle :angry:
So how do I get that?
Yep. Only got a £500 overdraft and £300 into it

You need a lot of evidence and all that does if buy you from your withdrawal date to 60 days after, no extra cash. All I can suggest is a uni hardship fund and overdraft extension.

What can I do?

Hi ChelseaB2604,

Thank you for making us aware of this issue and we're sorry to hear you're concerned about your financial support. Our Advice, Information and Funding Service will be able to offer you advice about this so we'd really recommend you get in touch with them.

Information about this service, including contact details, can be found here: http://student.londonmet.ac.uk/fees-and-funding/money-and-financial-advice/

We hope this helps and please do let us know if you have any further questions.

We hope your leg gets better soon.

Best,
Joey

(Social Media Ambassador at London Met)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11

What can I do?

If you broke your ankle due to a third person being at fault you can claim compensation and recover losses plus add on any money that you would of been able to get if you were mobile.
I have run my own personal injury company for 10 years (I'm not looking to force you to claim)😂😂 but if you need any advice I am more than happy to give you my personal advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending