The Student Room Group

Why doesn't computer science get respect.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by harryleavey
NHS IT Systems are not the best example of a Computer programmer's work...

That made me laugh, assuming you're insinuating the reference of the recent ransom ware attack.
Original post by Sergio000
Hello.
I am currently in year 11 and am considering computer science as a degree. My parents are doctors, and although they are supportive, I can't help but feel they think computer science is a "second rate" degree. I get good grades in all of my subjects, but I particularly like maths and tried coding and robotics as a hobby when I was younger. Is there any truth that a computer science degree isn't for those who have the grades to get into courses like engineering and medicine, or is that a misconception? If so, why do you think people have this view?

CompSci degrees are in demand, and will likely be for quite a long time. It's a very respectable degree, as it is very difficult. The future of the economy is information based, and CompSci skills/knowledge in areas such as coding or algorithms will become ever more relevant.
Original post by Async
That made me laugh, assuming you're insinuating the reference of the recent ransom ware attack.

Well partly that.
Google 'NHS IT System' - it's basically just a huge waste of taxpayer's money.

To be fair, it wasn't really to do with the actual system itself. More to do with logistical issues, contracts...
Probably not the best example, you know, considering the massive hack...
Hello.
I am currently in year 11 and am considering computer science as a degree. My parents are doctors, and although they are supportive, I can't help but feel they think computer science is a "second rate" degree. I get good grades in all of my subjects, but I particularly like maths and tried coding and robotics as a hobby when I was younger. Is there any truth that a computer science degree isn't for those who have the grades to get into courses like engineering and medicine, or is that a misconception? If so, why do you think people have this view?

No respect? I think it's got plenty of respect. It's got good employment and earnings potential and is important to much of the world. If it wasn't for computer scientists, plenty of the stuff around me wouldn't exist.
It is respected.

I sometimes regret not taking it. If i don't like my career I might end up doing a second degree in it.
Reply 26
Lol spreadsheets.
Well it's different from a medicine degree in that if you pass a medicine degree in the UK you're virtually guaranteed a high status job (as a doctor) Whereas CS graduates mostly have to fight it out with all the other 'numerate graduates'

Computer science graduates aren't necessarily very good coders (though of course they might be)
Reply 28
True, that's the typical view. I respect CS so much as a subject. It's the future!
Computer Science is a newer course meaning that some people in the know don't really understand it compared to Medicine etc which are pretty clear cut. Some people seem to conflate it with IT or something when the subjects are totally different.

Personally I think CompSci is a great course and I'm a little surprised your parents don't respect it. Google, Facebook, etc all rank as some of the most desirable companies to work at and especially in the US, CS is the most lucrative undergrad degree by far. I suppose it might be because in India you have pretty much everyone doing Software Engineering with the hopes of migrating abroad, so the value of Computer Science seems low compared to Medicine which typically has fewer places. However, in rigour/difficulty, employment prospects and earning potential I personally see rank it very highly, and I'm sure many in the know (hint: not people on this website conflating a Degree in CS with A Level etc) would feel the same.

As a side note DO NOT DO MED!!! Unless you are actually passionate about it, it is highly competitive to get into and interviewers can detect from a mile off if you're only doing it to please your parents. I've seen too many of my friends who were intelligent enough to get into Imperial/Oxbridge settle for Medicine based on those reasons and end up with 4 rejections. At the very least, consider Engineering or something similar as well.
I do CS... y'all better put some respeck on this....

Kidding aside, I think it's because it's a much newer subject compared to the traditional ones. Almost all the people who feel that way are older, born before the Internet was a big thing. Objectively, it's on par with any engineering discipline (mech, civ, aero, etc...)

I don't know, I think the world likes it...
Call it a hunch.
Original post by Joinedup
I wouldn't get complacent

less employment

...and lower wages

I'm not getting complacent, I was just trying to indicate that society values CS, even if it doesn't quite understand it yet. I'd still want to go into it even if I wouldn't earn loads of money.
Reply 34
Who doesn't respect it? I don't think I've seen a single person say it's a second rate degree. It makes no sense to say that CS are medicine rejects since they're completely different fields. It has a high average starting salary for graduates and it's not an easy degree by any means.

Secondly, why do you care what other people think of your degree? If you want to do an art degree, fine. If you want to do a degree in Donald Trump studies, go for it. Do what you want to do, not because you're a bit paranoid about what your parents will think about it.
(edited 6 years ago)

The "Computer science" and "Computer sciences" in those statistics include any computer-related degree, including stuff like e-business, information systems, etc.
The actual unemployment rate for Computer Science is about 9% which is lower than what is shown on the diagram but still very high.
Reply 36
Yeah, CS is alright. It's not quite maths though.
Hi,I am not agree with this. Anyone can do whatever he wants. If you are good in coding, then at least once you should have to try it.
Reply 38
Thanks for all your responses which have been very useful! I have just finished my gcses and I've decided to try some coding projects over the summer holidays. Other than this, what else would you say would be good preparation for a cs degree? Work experience seems like it would be difficult to find.
Thanks for all your responses which have been very useful! I have just finished my gcses and I've decided to try some coding projects over the summer holidays. Other than this, what else would you say would be good preparation for a cs degree? Work experience seems like it would be difficult to find.

Get really good at maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending