The Student Room Group

Why doesn't computer science get respect.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sergio000
Thanks for all your responses which have been very useful! I have just finished my gcses and I've decided to try some coding projects over the summer holidays. Other than this, what else would you say would be good preparation for a cs degree? Work experience seems like it would be difficult to find.

I'm in Year 12 now and hoping to head into computer science at uni, and (apart from a bit of coding and a couple of projects I'm planning over the summer) I'm doing a couple of MOOCs (Massive Open Online Course, you can find free ones in computer science fairly easily, just don't pick one you have to pay for by mistake) and getting a book or two and reading it. Work experience wise, its easy enough to learn how to do what you want with computers without having to go find somewhere to work for a week, which not many subjects can boast :smile:
You obviously don't have to worry too much now, but building a portfolio and showing unis that you're passionate about CS is a great start :biggrin:
Original post by Sergio000
Hello.
I am currently in year 11 and am considering computer science as a degree. My parents are doctors, and although they are supportive, I can't help but feel they think computer science is a "second rate" degree. I get good grades in all of my subjects, but I particularly like maths and tried coding and robotics as a hobby when I was younger. Is there any truth that a computer science degree isn't for those who have the grades to get into courses like engineering and medicine, or is that a misconception? If so, why do you think people have this view?

I hold a MSEE in Electrical Engineering (earned) from George Washington Uni, in Washington, D.C. During my engineering career, i have lived in 14 countries (at customer expense) doing engineering. I went to work for the US Federal Government right out of undergraduate school, and spent about 15 years working there. I later became a comtractor (the pay was much better), and then went back to Uni to get my Masters. During my time in the government, i became aware of the 'mind set' that 'if I don't understand something, it cannot be important'. This was almost universally held by government managers (even though some of them had once 'earned' engineering degrees. That was years ago, however, and they had subsequently forgotten all the engineering they had ever learned. My 'colleagues' [in my age cohort], gradually became disenchanted with this foolishness, and with the lack of any professional advancement, and quit. They then became 'contractors' at considerably higher pay [typically a 35% increase]. I resisted this for years, but eventually succumbed, after attempting to 'brief' my new boss [who had a doctorate in Physics], about what i was working on. This fellow knew absolutely NOTHING about digital communications [which i was -at the time- doing my Masters in].. After about 5 minutes, he started 'shouting me down - and refusing to let me complete a sentence. I gave up and walked out of his office. The next day i turned my notice in, as i had a job offer from a local contractor, with a 37.5% raise in salary in my pocket. Government jobs here, are controlled by a personnel version of "Gresham's Law".- Bad staff drive out good.

At the time i entered engineering, Engineering was more presteigous (and higher paying). i don't think that is true any more. Now, they are comperable. You can still do software with an engineering degree. I have worked with a lot of engineers who write code, and a lot of IT people that do engineering.

Good luck to you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending