The Student Room Group

Your university 'profile'

I wonder if staff at the university you attend have access to like a 'log file' by typing in your student number into a database. This file would store comments about your progress at university - your attitude to work/attendance/and any on-campus jobs you apply to. Think of it kind of like when you go to see your doctor, and he types information onto your medical record, I wonder if your university record works like this too - only you don't have access to it - and staff only use it to write references?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Voi
I wonder if staff at the university you attend have access to like a 'log file' by typing in your student number into a database. This file would store comments about your progress at university - your attitude to work/attendance/and any on-campus jobs you apply to. Think of it kind of like when you go to see your doctor, and he types information onto your medical record, I wonder if your university record works like this too - only you don't have access to it - and staff only use it to write references?

At my uni I'm sure this exists in some form - because my tutors record attendance and homework marks and my tutor is able to look at them. I hope it's electronic, would be afraid if it was on paper.
Reply 2
Original post by Voi

If they do you are entitled to see the information about you by making a "subject access request" under the Data Protection Act.

Your university extranet should tell you how to do this, or contact the SU.

Note, this also means that staff are aware of their responsibilities and they would not make malicious or false statements about you as is I think might be the implication of your OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The above is generally correct, although I would note it's unlikely it would make reference to on-campus jobs applied to, as non-academic jobs are normally handled by entirely different branches of the university and usually have little relation to the academic side.

There will usually be a "permanent record" type thing that is managed and updated by the academic and academic administration staff as relevant and necessary. Particularly, things like plagiarism and consistent poor attendance or failure to meet deadlines will be recorded on it, and this will be used to determine if some form of intervention by the university is required (usually if you miss more than two deadlines or several lectures/labs/whatever your personal tutor will contact you to make sure you're ok; if you fail to attend or hand in anything or otherwise respond to messages for a month or more your university may have a member of the wellbeing team go to your recorded term time address to check on you, which happened to me lol :tongue: ). This is also likely to be referred to for the purposes of writing references, although the extent to which it will be used will depend on your specific circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending