The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

League tables

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I've been looking at the University of Derby to study Law and I've noticed it's quite far down the league tables. Would anyone be put off by this or is it just because it's a smaller university? I've been to an open day and what it offers seem to be better than some bigger universities so I can't understand why it's so far down the league tables and if that's something to be put off about.
Also are the entry requirements lower than average for a reason or do they just want to give everyone a fair chance/is it because they're smaller and mostly only local people go from what I've seen?
I'm quite concerned about these two things as I'm otherwise in love with the university so any advice given would be greatly appreciated
Original post by emmamariekitty
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I've been looking at the University of Derby to study Law and I've noticed it's quite far down the league tables. Would anyone be put off by this or is it just because it's a smaller university? I've been to an open day and what it offers seem to be better than some bigger universities so I can't understand why it's so far down the league tables and if that's something to be put off about.
Also are the entry requirements lower than average for a reason or do they just want to give everyone a fair chance/is it because they're smaller and mostly only local people go from what I've seen?
I'm quite concerned about these two things as I'm otherwise in love with the university so any advice given would be greatly appreciated

Hi,
Derby ranks the highest in the Midlands for law I believe and our uni has the advantage over others for being smaller so you get more facetime with the lecturers and also the lectures have a world of experience in the field so you won't just be taught textbook knowledge but practical knowledge. More so our connections are brilliant with the magistrates court 2 minutes away from friar gate and the crown court 10 mins away with many students taking placements during their courses there and also sitting in on cases. Our grade boundaries are quite average, across the uni they are all relatively the same. Obviously law is very competitive so if you're the higher end of the grade boundaries you'll be fine. Hopefully if you've been to an open day you've been to the replica courts and met the tutors, it's always worth coming to the autumn open days again or emailing the lecturers to sit in on a lecture if you have any worries. They'll be happy to answer any questions you have. The university is brilliant and would definitely recommend it, it's not just for the locals, I've moved from London to go to Derby uni :smile:
Hope this helps!
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Hi Emma!

You shouldn't be put off by league tables or entry requirements! It's important to choose a University where you feel most at home and that suits you own individual learning style!
Derby is a young city with a lot to offer, we can say that we have many students staying with us here at Darley Bank who study at the Law campus (just a 5 min walk away) and many of these are far from local! There are a variety of people studying there that includes both international and from all over the UK!

I hope I could have helped you a little, and that you feel confident and happy in your final choice :-)

Jess@DarleyBank
Reply 3

I've applied there for a different course and on my open days to other places, a lot of other applicants were looking at the alternative uni's too. The alternative uni's were mostly centred in and around London and seemed to have a better reputation. But I had been keen on the Derby course for a while and overall, the others didn't impress me as much as they were sold to. In the end, I felt I would get more out of Derby than the London alternatives, even though they were sold really well. When it came down to it, Derby was the place where it felt right to learn :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending