Whats more dangerous: Irradiation or contamination?

Watch
tfh
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have my physics GCSE tomorrow, and i have a feeling that something about contamination or irradiation might come up. I know both are dangerous either way, but which one is more dangerous? and what are they exactly?
username2552331
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are they not the same thing? Irradiation is just contamination via radiation. Contamination could include any substance (usually toxic) that enters the body.
tfh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Exotoxin)
Are they not the same thing? Irradiation is just contamination via radiation. Contamination could include any substance (usually toxic) that enters the body.
I thought they were the same thing too, but the CGP guide refers to them separately, and I dont have the CGP guide on me right now so I can't check what it said.
YourCaesar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tfh)
I thought they were the same thing too, but the CGP guide refers to them separately, and I dont have the CGP guide on me right now so I can't check what it said.
Reading it now, it says: "Irradiation - being exposed to radiation without coming into contact with the source. The damage to your body stops as soon as your leave the radioactive area.

Contamination - picking up some radioactive material, e.g. by breathing it in, drinking contaminated water or getting it on your skin. You'll still be exposed to the radiation once you've left the area."
tfh
Rep:
?
(Original post by YourCaesar)
Reading it now, it says: "Irradiation - being exposed to radiation without coming into contact with the source. The damage to your body stops as soon as your leave the radioactive area.

Contamination - picking up some radioactive material, e.g. by breathing it in, drinking contaminated water or getting it on your skin. You'll still be exposed to the radiation once you've left the area."
Thank you! It makes sense now.
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tfh)
I have my physics GCSE tomorrow, and i have a feeling that something about contamination or irradiation might come up. I know both are dangerous either way, but which one is more dangerous? and what are they exactly?
Yo!!!

Irradiation is when a material just comes into contact with a radioactive substance.
Contamination is when that radioactive stuff actually gets inside your body. From there on, it depends what radioactive particle you're talking about. Gamma is the most penetrable so you can get contaminated easy, but Alpha is the most ionizing so when it gets inside your body, you're screwed because it starts tearing up your cells.
jw102
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tfh)
Contamination is worse, as that's when your cells are actually exposed to it. Irradiation is where it is outside the body so isn't very dangerous at all, as you will no longer be irradiated if you walk away from the source. Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (175)
4.95%
Uncertainty around my education (517)
14.63%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (393)
11.12%
Lack of purpose or motivation (490)
13.87%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (172)
4.87%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (214)
6.06%
Loneliness (300)
8.49%
Financial worries (129)
3.65%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (140)
3.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (160)
4.53%
Lack of real life entertainment (197)
5.58%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (317)
8.97%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (329)
9.31%

Watched Threads