45.83%
No (10)
41.67%
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, I've used the phrase "it's a free country" as a counter-argument to almost everything and all my friends say that it's not a free country. I asked a few teachers and they said that it's a free country within the law.

So what do y'all think? Is it a free country?
ashikjay12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheEyeOfBaradDur)
So, I've used the phrase "it's a free country" as a counter-argument to almost everything and all my friends say that it's not a free country. I asked a few teachers and they said that it's a free country within the law.

imo, not really.

You have to abide by UK Law otherwise you get thrown in jail if law enforcement can prove you're guilty. There's not even free speech (even though there is in the US). Although, not being a free country isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it brings about order and prevents people from being hurt.

Open to criticism
Katzen
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What kind of question is that? The UK isn't even for sale.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheEyeOfBaradDur)

It's more free than most countries but you can get arrested for posting something on Facebook or a tweet so it's definitely not completely free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3380984
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No it is not.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Define free? If by free you mean that citizens can do what they like when they like with no responsibilities to others, then no it is not. If, however you mean that there is a system of rules that are well upheld, generally by the consent of those who live here, and you have freedoms within those law such as freedom of speech, thought and the right to privacy from others and the state - yep - it is pretty free.

An example of a country that really isn't free would be Saudi Arabia - unless you are one of the ruling family or otherwise stinking rich.
F0rk0ff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Try telling that to the U.S....
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by F0rk0ff)
Try telling that to the U.S....
Tell them what?
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Voted no.. because it's obviously not free. Who would want it to be free though? And given that freedoms overlap and your freedoms may come at the expense of someone elses, can it ever be free anyway?

No country is free and we can discuss specific areas where I think freedoms should be increased or decreased, but anyone who answers yes, is just wrong.
Pencil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's either a free country or it isn't. There's no "within the law" in my opinion. That's just a big asterisk with small print attached stating why it isn't a free country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (309)
46.19%
No (75)
11.21%
I'm not old enough (285)
42.6%

Watched Threads