English lit is utterly devioid of any enjoyment

Watch
Luca Hyde
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The subject I used to crave more of. Enjoy, the one that used to be my favourite is now ruined, and the part I do enjoy, creative writing, so small that it's barely even there, while I have to put my energy into something so devoid of joy, and meaning. Something which removes the magic from the writing. I want to be creative, I'll burst out randomly writing pages of fresh ideas and worlds, but I have to deconstruct someone else's writing till it's devoid of emotion and meaning and just becomes words. It's all that I hate about english. Marks for doing something that's been done before while the actual point of english, what the creators get to do is ruined. and we get to deconstruct their work. If I were a writer, I'd refuse to get this treatement. I'd want people to read and discuss, and not to bore a class with utter pointlessness. English is supposed to be creative, not dry and analytical. It shakes me to the very core of who I am. And It distresses me that creativity is stifled out in the way it is. It's just the entire gcse sylabus only spending a week on the creative writing, leaving the rest of the time to work on the inoperable cancer of the subject opening up writing and selecting quotes, doing it the same way for each part of the literature.
sandishere
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But see, on the other hand, i am **** at creative writing because I'm more of an artsy person but I love finding hidden meanings and symbolism in other writers' work. It's really fascinating to see how they send across their messages through their works. But I do wish that we could read work that was actually a smidgen interesting rather than banging on about Shakespeare.
Luca Hyde
Rep:
?
It's not about that. I can't draw or anything. I wish I could with all these beautiful images bombarding me constanly, I don't have the patience to do art, because of how many ideas I really have. I enjoy seeing the hidden meanings, but it's not that. It' the fact that we have to look at literary patterns, instead of creating. It feels like a punishment to do this instead of creating new meaning, we have to find old one's from old work. I want to make something. This problem has been the cause of many tears and outbursts.
humbert-humbert
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
aren't you allowed to write about your own interpretations???? isn't that the most beautiful part, deconstructing a mere sentence and blowing it up into something so much bigger, with endless possibilities and hidden meanings????

also if you want to make something then isn't english literature the wrong direction? idk though, I can sort of see where you're coming from
Luca Hyde
Rep:
?
It's gcse It's something were forced to do. And they aren't really our own interpretations, because we use the same method for each one, and we are told to find examples of fear and beuaty in two poems yet most people are told to bring up the same points with the same quotes. In our class we share main quotes and points until we are all the same and creativity is stifled out. at my school we do both lit and lang, they are pratically the same with different texts.
GetOverHere
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Luca Hyde)
It's gcse It's something were forced to do. And they aren't really our own interpretations, because we use the same method for each one, and we are told to find examples of fear and beuaty in two poems yet most people are told to bring up the same points with the same quotes. In our class we share main quotes and points until we are all the same and creativity is stifled out. at my school we do both lit and lang, they are pratically the same with different texts.
That only happens if you allow it to happen. You have to challenge yourself to go outside of the pre-set formula, out of all of the points your peers are told to use, and seek your own interpretations without any method. As long as you can support it, it's given credit. You can't complain about it becoming a rut if you don't try and climb out of it. The only reason that you're told to use the same points is because they're time-tested and reliable - not necessarily the best. If you have that innate knack to find deeper meaning, even if it doesn't make sense on the surface but you can explain it, you've created new meaning out of something which others will only be able to surface-read.
Luca Hyde
Rep:
?
I don't enjoy writing to deconstruct at all, however hard I try. Unless I'm driven by literature or music I enjoy I really struggle to deconstruct something and will be distracted by ideas and write 2-3 pages of creative writing. It's a real problem that I can't get rid of without a change to me. I don't want to get rid of my creativity. But english lit and lang are devoid wastelands of creativity to me. They take the magic out of writing. in my school if we don't fit into the mold and use preset quotes we are punished by falling behind and eventually you become me, struggling because you want to make what we have to deconstruct. I want to make something, while it seeems like we destroy the writing. whatever stance i choose. It feels fake, It feels fabricated. It never feels right to deconstruct something in the way we do. I want to see why something is good. Not how the writer conveys themes of "fear"
sandishere
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Luca Hyde)
I don't enjoy writing to deconstruct at all, however hard I try. Unless I'm driven by literature or music I enjoy I really struggle to deconstruct something and will be distracted by ideas and write 2-3 pages of creative writing. It's a real problem that I can't get rid of without a change to me. I don't want to get rid of my creativity. But english lit and lang are devoid wastelands of creativity to me. They take the magic out of writing. in my school if we don't fit into the mold and use preset quotes we are punished by falling behind and eventually you become me, struggling because you want to make what we have to deconstruct. I want to make something, while it seeems like we destroy the writing. whatever stance i choose. It feels fake, It feels fabricated. It never feels right to deconstruct something in the way we do. I want to see why something is good. Not how the writer conveys themes of "fear"
See the thing with creating work with new meaning is that first we have to understand the basics. That's what GCSEs are all about. It's like when you're drawing. You don't automatically start shading wherever you want. You have to draw the basic shapes and outline. That is exactly what Eng Lit is about. We are finding out different ways to get across the meaning of things. So that in the future if you want to pursue it then you have the basics down.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed