Will my GP give me the help I really need for depression?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi i have an appointment with my GP in a few days and I'm really worried they'll give me a generic "here's some antidepressants and a number for talking therapy" treatment. I feel as though the help I need is more severe than some mild antidepressants, and while I am definitely open and ready for talking therapy, I'm worried the response my GP will give will make me feel as though I've been overreacting over the severity of my mood. I've been avoiding treatment for 7 years because I always told myself I'd get over it, but the past year has been incredibly difficult and led to a lot of really negative coping mechanisms so I've decided now is the time to help in fear of me spiraling into a worse cycle of harm.

I think my question to anyone who's gone to their GP to start treatment: what kind of treatment did they offer you and did you feel as though it was the correct kind of treatment for the severity of your mental health? Or do you feel as if they threw you under an general umbrella with all other cases of depression people have come in for and not actually helped?
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depends how old you are.
Antidepressants and talking therapies are the only treatments for depression so this is what you should expect. You are unlikely to be given antidepressants on your first trip about it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi i have an appointment with my GP in a few days and I'm really worried they'll give me a generic "here's some antidepressants and a number for talking therapy" treatment. I feel as though the help I need is more severe than some mild antidepressants, and while I am definitely open and ready for talking therapy, I'm worried the response my GP will give will make me feel as though I've been overreacting over the severity of my mood. I've been avoiding treatment for 7 years because I always told myself I'd get over it, but the past year has been incredibly difficult and led to a lot of really negative coping mechanisms so I've decided now is the time to help in fear of me spiraling into a worse cycle of harm.

I think my question to anyone who's gone to their GP to start treatment: what kind of treatment did they offer you and did you feel as though it was the correct kind of treatment for the severity of your mental health? Or do you feel as if they threw you under an general umbrella with all other cases of depression people have come in for and not actually helped?
Generally (there are always exceptions) doctors will try the more basic stuff first and see how it goes. That way you don't have a bunch of people with mild depression on crazy strong ADs. Depression is always going to feel like the worst possib;e thing for whoever is feeling it so it's hard to judge who has a more serious case and who will be sorted after a bit of therapy.
Because it's so hard to judge you will usually start with some talking therapy to get a better feel of you and your situation. From there you can discuss how things are going and the possibility of further treatments like ADs.

In some cases it's a bit more clear that ADs would be beneficial and they may be given straight away. This partially depends on the doctor as some are more or less likely to prescribe medication for mh issues.

But basically on your first trip to the GP you will just be given the generic stuff. You'll get better treatments more suited to you once your situation becomes more known. I know it is very familiar to you, but doctors like to observe things for themselves so may take a bit of a slower approach than you would like.

The best way to make sure you get the treatments most suited to you is to be completely honest in your appointment. That means telling them about an embarrassing or concerning things. It sometimes helps to take in a list of what you need to mention so you don't forget or can hand it to the dr if you get a bit overwhelmed.

Hope that helps. Good luck in your appt and with everything. Remember this isn't the only appointment you get. You can go back if you need to and keep discussing things with your therapist.
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What exactly do you want in terms of treatment? Unless you've attempted suicide multiple times or you're going to harm someone else or you've completely lost touch with reality then your GP isn't going to put you into inpatient care (and rightly so!). That only leaves anti depressants and talking treatments.

There is a reason most people with depression are referred to the same treatments, it's not because they're not taken seriously but because those treatments work best. Also because the GP is not an expert so they send you to a therapist who has more mental health experience and they would then do any further referrals if they felt you needed something else.

Most GPs won't give anti depressants until talking treatment has been tried but they do vary a bit.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Antidepressants and "talking" therapy can really help if you can get someone you can trust.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (10)
27.78%
No (26)
72.22%

Watched Threads