karina123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
i need to know what osmosis active transport and diffusion is and examples of them
GcSe KiD
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Osmosis - The net movement of water molecules through a partially permeable membrane from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration eg - water from soil into roots happens through osmosis

Diffusion - The net movement of molecules from an area of higher concentration into an area of lower concentration. eg - perfume spreading out in the air

Active transport - The net movement of molecules against a concentration gradient using energy released from respiration - nutrients from blood into gut
_jessfisher
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Dependent whether or not you need this for A Level or GCSE, the definition is basically the same.
Diffusion is the net movement of particles from an area of high concentration to low concentration, or down a concentration gradient. It is a passive process therefore does not require energy from ATP.

There are different types of diffusion including facilitated e.g. through a protein gated channel.

Osmosis is a type of diffusion whereby water molecules move from a high concentration of water to a low concentration of water, again a passive process, through a partially permeable membrane.

Active transport is basically the opposite of diffusion whereby particles move from an area of low concentration to high concentration, e.g. against a concentration gradient and requires energy from ATP, assisted by enzymes.

Hope this helps.
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Diffusion - the movement of particles down a concentration gradient

Osmosis - diffusion of water particles

Active transport - the movement of particles against a concentration gradient
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
31.99%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (37)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.75%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.72%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
24.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.01%

Watched Threads