The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

St Cuths or Trevs?

Well, its UCAS go time...

Tonight's the night to decide my future (scary eh?)

Im looking at Physics at Durham and have now got to pick a college (out of a hat is seeming more and more like a viable option...!)

I think ive narrowed it down to either Trevs or Cuths.

Whatcha think?

Im would like somewhere near to the physics building, but also close to the shops. Nice rooms would be good, and i would like some decent IT / gym / football facilities...

So, decide my future: Trevs or St Cuths?

Reply 1
Trevs is probably closer to the Science site. I actually really like Trevs, it comes across as really friendly and it's full of lovely people :p:. However, I have no idea what their facilities are like I'm afraid. If you apply to Cuths you may end up self catered (you get to rank your preferences, but there's no guarantee that you'll not be lumped with your 6th).
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for the heads up.

Im wondering what would be better, self catered or not. Self catered you eat what you like when you like. Catered you dont have to worry about food and can have a nice chat....

Also, whats the deal with the 2 locations at Cuths (Bailey and Parson’s Field)? Im confused how that works... do you apply to "St Cuths" and are randomly assigned to one or the other? I prefer the look of Bailey - how do you apply for that?

Thanks
Reply 3
Parson's Field is self-catered as far as I'm aware. You get to state a preference as to where you want to live once you've firmed with Durham, but there's no guarantee you'll get what you want. It depends what your priorities are.

Catered is more sociable, self-catered is better if you're a fussy eater. However, there's only Waitrose (expensive) and Iceland (frozen, but it's okay if you shop selectively or want ready meals) in Durham itself - so you have to do Tesco online or get the bus to Tesco on Tuesday or Thursday night from Butler.
Reply 4
Major_Disaster
Im would like somewhere near to the physics building, but also close to the shops. Nice rooms would be good, and i would like some decent IT / gym / football facilities...

To answer for Trevs....

-Less than 10 mins from Physics department (you could jog it in about 2 mins!)

-20min walk into town for shops, but Trevs does have its own shop supplying all the regular student items (snacks, ready meals, stationery, stamps, drinks, ice creams, toiletries, etc.)

-About 30% of college rooms were recently refurbished, and the rest are due to be refurbished over the next few years. Chances are that if you start in 2008, about half of college should have been done before your final year. However the "older" rooms still aren't "bad" rooms, they're nice, just not as nice as the refurbished rooms

-IT facilities: other than all rooms being networked so you can connect your PC/laptop to the University network, there are also two computer rooms, one which is open 24hrs a day, the other open during daytime. The 24hr one has a printer and a photocopier.

-There is a small gym in Trevs which costs £5 to join for the full time that you are at Durham - that's £5 for 3 or 4 years, it has a treadmill, a bike, 3 rowing machines, a cross trainer, free weights, benches, a multigym thingymabob, and some situp device thingies. It's open pretty much 7am-11pm.

-Football, well there is the back lawn which isn't ideal for a proper game but good for a kickabout. Just down the road is "Marys Field" which is used by most hill colleges for various sports, but a lot of the time is empty to have a bigger game. However the college team trains at Maiden Castle sports fields, like all most college teams I would guess.

-One of the key complaints that I have heard about self-catered colleges is that there is rarely anytime that the whole college comes together in one place so you see others in the college. Catered is such an awesome thing, even if you like cooking, the atmosphere at mealtimes just adds that much extra to the college experience. And you've got 2nd year when you live out in a house to do the whole "learning to be independent" thing anyway :wink:

TREVS FTW :biggrin:
Reply 5
dobbs
To answer for Trevs....

-Less than 10 mins from Physics department (you could jog it in about 2 mins!)

-20min walk into town for shops, but Trevs does have its own shop supplying all the regular student items (snacks, ready meals, stationery, stamps, drinks, ice creams, toiletries, etc.)

-About 30% of college rooms were recently refurbished, and the rest are due to be refurbished over the next few years. Chances are that if you start in 2008, about half of college should have been done before your final year. However the "older" rooms still aren't "bad" rooms, they're nice, just not as nice as the refurbished rooms

-IT facilities: other than all rooms being networked so you can connect your PC/laptop to the University network, there are also two computer rooms, one which is open 24hrs a day, the other open during daytime. The 24hr one has a printer and a photocopier.

-There is a small gym in Trevs which costs £5 to join for the full time that you are at Durham - that's £5 for 3 or 4 years, it has a treadmill, a bike, 3 rowing machines, a cross trainer, free weights, benches, a multigym thingymabob, and some situp device thingies. It's open pretty much 7am-11pm.

-Football, well there is the back lawn which isn't ideal for a proper game but good for a kickabout. Just down the road is "Marys Field" which is used by most hill colleges for various sports, but a lot of the time is empty to have a bigger game. However the college team trains at Maiden Castle sports fields, like all most college teams I would guess.

-One of the key complaints that I have heard about self-catered colleges is that there is rarely anytime that the whole college comes together in one place so you see others in the college. Catered is such an awesome thing, even if you like cooking, the atmosphere at mealtimes just adds that much extra to the college experience. And you've got 2nd year when you live out in a house to do the whole "learning to be independent" thing anyway :wink:

TREVS FTW :biggrin:

Glad i picked it!!
*prays for the unlikely offer*
Reply 6
chester_2005
Glad i picked it!!
*prays for the unlikely offer*

Good boy :smile: *pats on head* :wink:

Latest