lqwerty98
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
what is the difference between a promoter and a primer?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lqwerty98)
what is the difference between a promoter and a primer?
About the only thing they share is an initial letter.

A primer can be all sorts of things - a short segment of DNA which allows DNA synthesis to proceed on the lagging strand, something used during the PCR reaction, etc.

A promoter is an area of a gene involved in its expression - the clue to what it does is in the name.
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)

A primer can be all sorts of things - a short segment of DNA which allows DNA synthesis to proceed on the lagging strand, something used during the PCR reaction, etc.

A promoter is an area of a gene involved in its expression - the clue to what it does is in the name.
Promoter is only relevant in Transcription?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by wolfmoon88)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, that could be a difference between the two - but without the OP giving us a bit more detail where the question has come from we're not quite sure what response is being sought.
lqwerty98
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you!
wolfmoon88
Report 5 years ago
Yes, that could be a difference between the two - but without the OP giving us a bit more detail where the question has come from we're not quite sure what response is being sought.
Fair enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aplens
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by wolfmoon88)

Posted from TSR Mobile
In what sense? RNA polymerase attaches to the beginning of the gene?
wolfmoon88
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aplens)
In what sense? RNA polymerase attaches to the beginning of the gene?
RNA Polymerase bind to the promoter region to initiate Transcription. Promoter sequence is TATA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LennyBicknel
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Semi-relevant question, but what's the difference between an operator and promoter region (i.e. on an operon)? I written down that, as you've said, a promoter is the side where RNA polymerase binds for transcription, whilst the operator turns the genes on and off..? How does that work? I know that repressor proteins can bind to the control site, but beyond that I don't particularly understand operators..
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

What about the second letter?
And the last two ?
And the fourth?
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LennyBicknel)
Semi-relevant question, but what's the difference between an operator and promoter region (i.e. on an operon)? I written down that, as you've said, a promoter is the side where RNA polymerase binds for transcription, whilst the operator turns the genes on and off..? How does that work? I know that repressor proteins can bind to the control site, but beyond that I don't particularly understand operators..
Operons don't just turn genes on and off - they group genes together into a single transcription unit, which can then be turned on and off as a group - like one of those 4-gang extension leads you get. The full set of genes controlled by an operon are transcribed into a single mRNA molecule. The potential issue with an operon is that if you get a point mutation, it can knock out all the genes the operon controls, not just one.

Have a look at the lac operon - this is quite a common example.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
What about the second letter?
And the last two ?
And the fourth?
:lol: (you bell-end). How are you doing, buddy? Finished your exams yet, or still more to go?
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
:lol: (bell-end). How are you doing, buddy? Finished your exams yet, or still more to go?
8 more to go , made a dent and done 5 and thanks for the pet name, suits me
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
8 more to go , made a dent and done 5 and thanks for the pet name, suits me
I knew you'd like it - because you don't take yourself too seriously. . Hope they're going well.
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I knew you'd like it - because you don't take yourself too seriously. . Hope they're going well.
Gone well so far but the hardest papers are yet to come so hoping those go well
Whats the point in taking yourself seriously?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed