The Student Room Group

OCR Biology GCSE B456, 16/06/17

How did everybody find the last GCSE Biology exam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ocean7559

so bad i feel like crying
Original post by ocean7559

It was so f***ing difficult!
meh
Reply 4
I thought it was extremely easy....... the 6 mark questions were really good!
Original post by b.enjie
I thought it was extremely easy....... the 6 mark questions were really good!

for the last six marker which soil was which??
Reply 6
Original post by azizkahdijaaaa

I said A was sandy, B was clay and C was loam
there was less mass after the first heating of the soil, and the first burning is used to evaporate water, and because sandy clay have larger particles which means more air spaces, which means water passes through. so I said A was sandy.
there was a greater mass difference in sample B and clay particles have less air spaces being more compacted together, they tend to hold more water so that's why there was a bigger mass difference, so I said b was clay.
then for sample C there was a big amount of humus found in the soil so I guessed it was loam as that was the only soil left.

The revision guide and OCR textbook contradict each other, in the textbook it says clay particles are smaller, but in the revision guide it says that sand particles are smaller. What happens when one of these books gives you the wrong information?
Original post by issytessier
The revision guide and OCR textbook contradict each other, in the textbook it says clay particles are smaller, but in the revision guide it says that sand particles are smaller. What happens when one of these books gives you the wrong information?

the cgp revision guide says that clay particles are smaller too? maybe you misread the information?

i dont even know i messed up on that question

how was the exam *****?
Original post by b.enjie
I said A was sandy, B was clay and C was loam
there was less mass after the first heating of the soil, and the first burning is used to evaporate water, and because sandy clay have larger particles which means more air spaces, which means water passes through. so I said A was sandy.
there was a greater mass difference in sample B and clay particles have less air spaces being more compacted together, they tend to hold more water so that's why there was a bigger mass difference, so I said b was clay.
then for sample C there was a big amount of humus found in the soil so I guessed it was loam as that was the only soil left.

Yeah that's exactly what I wrote

I also said soil A had a higher air content which is why it could support more humus than soil B (more oxygen for decomposition by bacteria). I said that soil C must be loam as the water content was in the middle and it had the highest humus content. i think i made up something about how loam soils tend to have the most humus due to more air conent than clay but still the right amount of minerals (I made up that last bit lol)
Original post by sachind01
how was the exam *****?

looooooool
Grade boundaries anyone?
Reply 14
Original post by urgurlbecca
Yeah that's exactly what I wrote

I also said soil A had a higher air content which is why it could support more humus than soil B (more oxygen for decomposition by bacteria). I said that soil C must be loam as the water content was in the middle and it had the highest humus content. i think i made up something about how loam soils tend to have the most humus due to more air conent than clay but still the right amount of minerals (I made up that last bit lol)

considering the question stated about defining which soil was which, and using the thought about the particle size I don't know if air content is relevant.
i dont even know i messed up on that question

It came from the official collins OCR revision guide, the official publisher for OCR.
It came from the official collins OCR revision guide, the official publisher for OCR.

I think as long as you explained your reason properly than it doesn't matter as much. I said that Soil A was sandy because it has smaller particles so fewer air spaces and so can't hold as much water. Soil B was clay because it could hold more water due to ,larger particle size and so larger air spaces and soil c was loam because it had the most hum and the middle amount of water (more than A, less than B)
I said that the one with the biggest chain in mass after drying was the sandy soil as it has big particles meaning there is more spaces in between so more space for water.
Is this right?
Original post by b.enjie
considering the question stated about defining which soil was which, and using the thought about the particle size I don't know if air content is relevant.

air content is related to particle size. the greater the particle size, the larger the pores between the particles so the greater the air content

I mentioned it as additional information alongside the basics just in case anyway so it shouldn't matter
Reply 19
Quite surprised they asked on osmosis as my coursework was on that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending