The Student Room Group

Comrade Corbyn calls for state theft of property

Corbyn has called for empty houses in affluent parts of London to be seized so that the displaced from grenfell tower can be housed. Now while I can hear the chants "oh yeah make the rich pay!" I find this deeply concerning that the leader of the opposition would call on the state to seize private property which has already had its tax payed on it. Where will it stop, before long we will have run out of one per-centers to steal from and will start seizing peoples holiday homes for the homeless, then it will move onto empty bedrooms. One of the most basic functions of living in a nation state is the knowledge that you can leave your home in the morning safe in the knowledge that it will still belong to you in the evening)

If anyone had any doubt corbyn is definitely a communist.

(BTW I sympathise greatly with the survivors of Grenfell tower but to suggest that they should be allowed to squat in private property is very very concerning)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by T134O2L5E6
Corbyn has called for empty houses in affluent parts of London to be seized so that the displaced from grenfell tower can be housed. Now while I can hear the chants "oh yeah make the rich pay!" I find this deeply concerning that the leader of the opposition would call on the state to seize private property which has already had its tax payed on it. Where will it stop, before long we will have run out of one per-centers to steal from and will start seizing peoples holiday homes for the homeless, then it will move onto empty bedrooms. One of the most basic functions of living in a nation state is the knowledge that you can leave your home in the morning safe in the knowledge that it will still belong to you in the evening)

If anyone had any doubt corbyn is definitely a communist.

(BTW I sympathise greatly with the survivors of Grenfell tower but to suggest that they should be allowed to squat in private property is very very concerning)

No he does not. Stop scaremongering Tory Boy.
Reply 3
Original post by JMR2017
No he does not. Stop scaremongering Tory Boy.

How can you dispute an objective fact labour boy

‘Properties must be found requisitioned if necessary in order to make sure that residents do get rehoused locally,' Mr Corbyn told a meeting of MPs.‘How is it acceptable that in London you have luxury buildings and luxury flats kept empty as land banking for that future while homeless people look for somewhere to live?'Here are some more sources
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-calls-on-government-to-requisition-luxury-homes-for-the-grenfell-tower-fire-homeless_uk_5942b29be4b01eab7a2c179f

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40285994

How can you dispute this?
It would never happen even if he were in power.
(edited 6 years ago)
How can you dispute an objective fact labour boy

‘Properties must be found requisitioned if necessary in order to make sure that residents do get rehoused locally,' Mr Corbyn told a meeting of MPs.‘How is it acceptable that in London you have luxury buildings and luxury flats kept empty as land banking for that future while homeless people look for somewhere to live?'Here are some more sources
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-calls-on-government-to-requisition-luxury-homes-for-the-grenfell-tower-fire-homeless_uk_5942b29be4b01eab7a2c179f

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40285994

How can you dispute this?

He's talking about empty homes..., What use do they serve?
Reply 6
Original post by Meany Pie
It would never happen even if he was in power.

I would hope so, but if he one day got a sizable majority how long would it be until he started eroding the basic rights of ownership?
Do you get outraged when the Conservative government allows compulsory purchase orders in the name of gentrification?
I would hope so, but if he one day got a sizable majority how long would it be until he started eroding the basic rights of ownership?

It wouldn't get through the courts.
Original post by Quantex
Do you get outraged when the Conservative government allows compulsory purchase orders in the name of gentrification?

Where has that happened?
Reply 10
Original post by JMR2017

Thats none of your business. Its not the states right to determine what "use" something is. If it was we would be living under fascism/communism. If someone wants to own a empty home they can, providing they buy it legally why should we stop them its their money.

I don't personally see the point in empty homes but I respect peoples rights to own homes as they please
Reply 11
Original post by Quantex

Yes (I dont agree with everything the conservatives do)

Unless you buy a property with a contract stating it may be compulsorily purchased (such as a flat) then I don't think it should be allowed.
Where has that happened?

Heygate estate.

I believe they are also being used for HS2 and are part of the Heathrow proposals (if that ever gets off the ground).
I don't really see why someone should sleep on the streets just so some Russian oligarch can launder their dirty money.

E X P R O P R I A T E
Original post by Quantex
Heygate estate.

I believe they are also being used for HS2 and are part of the Heathrow proposals (if that ever gets off the ground).

The Heygate estate was a ****hole.

It is normal to use CPOs for infrastructure improvements.
Reply 15
Original post by Swaganauticus
I don't really see why someone should sleep on the streets just so some Russian oligarch can launder their dirty money.

E X P R O P R I A T E

If the buyer is criminal of course we should stop them buying property here (if we can prove it in court)

But let me give you an economics lesson as to why people should sleep on the streets instead of move into a empty house. Lets follow the money.

Dirty Russian wants new property in London

Dirty Russian buys property through estate agent - jobs created

Estate Agent organizes sale from developer

Developer pays company to build house - jobs created

Company employs builders to build house - jobs created

Builders take money and spends it in shops - Jobs created.

Shops employ staff - Jobs created

Stock for shops made by factories - More JOBS!

So by a russian buying a house in London everyone gets richer. If we confiscate that house the russain has no incentive to buy it so no one gets richer.
Unless you buy a property with a contract stating it may be compulsorily purchased (such as a flat) then I don't think it should be allowed.

Any property can be subject to a CPO for the right reasons.
Original post by JMR2017

If they belong to someone, it doesn't matter what purpose they have. Maybe they're a second home, or maybe they're used by businessmen who split time between home and London, or maybe they belong to landlords who haven't found renters yet. All perfectly fine reasons to be empty.
It would never happen even if he was in power.

*were
Thats none of your business. Its not the states right to determine what "use" something is.

The state already determines such things in plenty of situations. For example, the higher rate of stamp duty paid on a property that isn't your main residence.

Also, there's the basic fact that it's the state which enforces the private property claims you're talking about in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending