The Student Room Group

AQA A level Computer Science Paper 1 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

also the stack error, should be a stack underflow
For the last part of section D where you had to figure out whether a fox had to cross the river to eat, it said make a new subroutine but I made a function return a True or False value as to whether it can eat the rabbits or not.

Is that going to be ok? It worked properly
Original post by jacob_pro
I think that the
'how many out of 4 algorithms'
was only three because one of them was a recursive algorithm
which would therefore have been exponential, and therefore intractable

Yes, I guessed 3 for that question lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys what did I get for the binary tree?

Did u get Judith , then Caspar, then false as output ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
also the stack error, should be a stack underflow

Agreed!
Original post by KCL Offer
Guys what did I get for the binary tree?

Did u get Judith , then Caspar, then false as output ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The search was for olivia so surely it would branch right?
No because O is less than N (for Norbert root node) so u branch left to Judith

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm quite sure that O is greater than N

Hence branch right.

Then O is less than Phil so branch left

Return false
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by KylanHaffie
I put all 4 for the tractable problem question.

I thought that the theory was relatively easy, but VERY wordy. Spent a lot of my time trying to read over it.

The practical task (especially the last task) was very difficult.

Yes, have you thought about asking for extra time, you just seem to have slow processing, which is actually quite fitting, don't worry about it though...
I think that the
Recursive algorithms are not necessarily exponential - in fact, most (all?) recursive algorithms can be implemented instead using for loops. For example, with a bubble sort you could use recursion, or a nested for loop, but either way it's O(n^2).

Original post by luciferhf
* Does this class diagram use inheritance (No), protected attributes (No), something else (Yes).

I also got this, unsure if it was right. Wasn't the class only showing composition?
Indeed the diagram did only have composition (filled in diamonds).
Original post by Cookiemorph
For the last part of section D where you had to figure out whether a fox had to cross the river to eat, it said make a new subroutine but I made a function return a True or False value as to whether it can eat the rabbits or not.

Is that going to be ok? It worked properly

yeah functions are subroutines dw I did the same
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
Okay so here is what I can remember of the questions and my answers:

Section A
Question 1: Syntax diagram / BNF
* Are these three inputs valid? Yes; No; Yes.
* Define the natural symbol: <natural> ::= <digit> | <digit><natural>
[Alternate]

Question 2: Finite state machines
* This state is where invalid strings end up in.
* This is the accepting state, so strings here are valid formats for a postcode.
* Regex: "/a /a? /d (/d | /a)? /d /a /a" [Alternate answer would be (/d? | /a?) in the brackets]

Question ?: Time complexity
* Which algorithm runs in O(n log n) time? Merge sort.
* Which of these four algorithms are used to solve tractable problems? All 4.
* What is the time complexity of a bubble sort? O(n^2).
* Why? Each pass puts the largest number at the end (with ascending order). Worst case is the algorithm requires (n - 1) passes [largest n-1 numbers at end and first must be smallest]; each pass requires (n - 1) comparisons, and (n - 1)(n - 1) is asymptotic to n^2 for large n.

Question ?:
* How is a stack suitable for software which has the actions 'undo' and 'repeat'? Stack uses LIFO; can use peek for repeat and pop then peek for undo.
* What is the name for the error when the user enters 'repeat' but the stack is empty? Stack underflow according to others (though I put runtime error).

Question ?: TreeSearch pseudocode
* What is a recursive subroutine? A subroutine which calls itself.
* Trace table for this call. Unsure whether my answer is right, but my table contained (left to right, top to bottom): TreeSearch(Olivia, Norbert) | "Searched Norbert" | TreeSearch(Olivia, name beginning with P) | "Searched P" | return False in both calls".

Question ?: Vectors
* What is a heuristic and how does it apply to this maze game? A heuristic is an algorithm which essentially uses educated guesses - it tries to find a sufficiently accurate solution (which may not be the optimal one) in a reasonable amount of time.
* Dot product - Unsure of vectors but I think they were [5, 3] and [1, -1] or similar so answer would be 5 - 3 = 2.
* Add [5, 2] and [3, 1]. Answer: [8, 3].
* Carry this trace table out (v = [6, -4]; dot product = 2; True).

Section B
Write a program which does run length encoding.
My method: use a 'for' loop to run through the string input by the user; if it is the same as the previous character, increment a counter by one; if it is different, add the previous character / value pair to the output string and reset the counter.

Section C
* Does this class diagram use inheritance (No), protected attributes (No), private attributes (Yes). ['Attributes' may have been 'methods' for one or two of the last parts.]
* Name a subclass (Rabbit or Fox).
* What is the difference between 'protected' and 'private'? Private can only be accessed in the class itself; protected can also be accessed in subclasses.

Section D
Question 9: Validation for InputCoordinates. Method: use a while/dowhile loop until the co-ordinate is between 0 and (LandscapeSize - 1) inclusive.
Question 10: Make an overriden function in Rabbit so that ProbabilityOfDeathOtherCauses increase with age (*1.5 multiplier for males; +0.05 addition for females at least 2 time periods old).
Question 11: Add a river to the simulation.
Question 12: Check if the fox's path would cross the river. My method: check if the fox and rabbit are on opposite sides of the river with the following logic - if (FoxX < 5 and RabbitX > 5) or (FoxX > 5 and RabbitX < 5) or (FoxY < 2 and RabbitY > 2) or (FoxY > 2 and RabbitY < 2), return false (river is in the path); else return true.

I did the same thing for the last question. *dab*. Other people we building complex algorithms and I did it with 4 if statements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is wrong, O is greater than N (L M N ... O) so you should have branched to the right and checked it vs phil next.
Original post by sideshowbobya
This is wrong, O is greater than N (L M N ... O) so you should have branched to the right and checked it vs phil next.

I agree with this.
I think that the

Which one was recursive? i cant remember the list of algorithms
Original post by Jamboltheads
Which one was recursive? i cant remember the list of algorithms

There was

Linear search
Merge sort
Binary search
Post order tree traversal
I think that the

None of the four algorithms showed exponential behaviour, the post-order traversal which is the one I believe your are referring to is O(n).

See here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4547012/complexities-of-binary-tree-traversals
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
Recursive algorithms are not necessarily exponential - in fact, most (all?) recursive algorithms can be implemented instead using for loops. For example, with a bubble sort you could use recursion, or a nested for loop, but either way it's O(n^2).

Indeed the diagram did only have composition (filled in diamonds).

Yeah sorry your completely right about that. Any of the tree traversals will be linear
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 38
Does anyone have a link to the actual 2017 paper 1? Questions and markscheme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending