beccilouise98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am due to starting writing my personal statement for applying this September in order to hopefully study Children's Nursing in 2018.
How did everyone find writing theirs because I am really struggling to start it. As well I don't have many hobbies or achievements will this make much difference to being selected form my personal statement.
Would anyone also recommend any further reading for my personal statement?
If anyone could provide any help, it would be very appreciated
mel_l218
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I started mine by writing a list of things I wanted to include in my personal statement, such as my work and voluntary experience, skills and qualities relevant to the role, why I want to study nursing and how I am preparing for university and my application. There are example personal statements on TSR which can be helpful to get an idea of what you others have put in their personal statements, but at the end of the day your persona statement will be personal to you, it can just help to see examples. Which and UCAS both have tips for nursing personal statements on their websites too.
If you will be at college this September and can get any help with personal statements at college then it's worth seeing what advice and help you get.
In regards to hobbies or achievements, I only briefly mentioned what I like to do in my spare time, it was only one or two sentences. So it's not the most important part of your ps, it just shows you have something to enjoy outside of work and study really.
Many people recommend looking at the 6C's when writing the personal statement too as they are very relevant to nursing in general and sometimes used in selection days by universities.
I hope this helps.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by beccilouise98)
I am due to starting writing my personal statement for applying this September in order to hopefully study Children's Nursing in 2018.
How did everyone find writing theirs because I am really struggling to start it. As well I don't have many hobbies or achievements will this make much difference to being selected form my personal statement.
Hobbies and achievements aren't really useful in your personal statement unless they are related to nursing or demonstrate skills that are vital for a nurse to possess. It is, however, almost necessary to have some sort of relevant work experience at the very least, in order to demonstrate that you understand the role of a nurse.

If you check out my signature below there is a guidance article on writing your personal statement which you should find useful. Let me know if you have any further questions after reading that and I'll do my best to help
shannonjade800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by beccilouise98)
Hello,

I have got an conditional offer at London Southbank University for this September, so I hope I can help a little bit.

One important tip to remember is that you have only 4000 words so it could take a few redrafts and also let someone else e.g. family member, friend or tutor read over to pick out any mistakes.

The main aim of your personal statement is to sell yourself - you want to sure them how dedicated and passionate you are about Child Nursing. Also, its important you address how committed you are, they want someone that won't give up but tries their best.

In your introductory paragraph you should write a few sentences on why you chose child nursing and why not any other specialities. For instance, you could state that you have attended open days or you have researched into child nursing which has made you realise that it is for you. You can reflect on the challenges of child nursing, however, you are determined to not let these get in your way. How other nurses from research has inspired you etc.

The most important part is highlighting your experience - this is where the university will look the most. It's best to have something related to health care - e.g. in a care home, nursery or even in a hospital. This will show them that you have some knowledge. What did you observe on these placements - did they inspire you even more (e.g. professionalism or maybe how friendly they were). What skills did you use when at these placements and how?

You could also speak a little bit about your current or previous studies and how some of the modules/units relate to children nursing e.g. anatomy and physiology - you will be discussing a lot about this in university - a project you have undertaken that may be relevant to child nursing.

What is it about your skills, attitudes, values that may you the right candidate.

Conclusion - your closing sentence should summarise your above paragraphs however you must not repeat yourself. You could state: why you believe you are the perfect student e.g. hard working and how this will ensure you are successful in university. And how you would love to study child nursing to finish your journey to become a nurse.

The hobbies and achievements aren't that important - they don't really focus on these when reading your personal statement - they are most interested in your relevant experience, therefore, if you don't have any experience as of yet, it's important that you find somewhere over the summer. This will help support your application. Also, they are interested on how committed you are.

I would recommend that you look at the university you have applied for as they may have specific information they require.

I am happy to read over your personal statement and provide tips on how to improve. Also, I am willing to answer anymore queries if you message me privately.

Shannon x
Hayyz91
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
make sure you get the 6 c's in there. maybe read through the job description of the job you want in the future and try and link some of that to you?

Try and get some experience while you can so you can put about that.
I wrote about transferable skills, my inspirations, what i have done to get myself ready for this point, my experience ect.

Make sure you attend open days as some unis will go through your statement and tell you where you can improve.
you can also look up personal statements online for inspiration.

I had a few defining moments that made me want to be a nurse so i briefly mentioned that.
e.g. my mother has been ill for a number of years and in this time i have witnessed the difference exceptional and poor care can have on not only the patient and their family but their progress within the illness... This has inspired me to blah blah blah.
anything like that can be good.

biggest tip i can give you is don't use a quote.
smiliyy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shannonjade800)
Hello,

I have got an conditional offer at London Southbank University for this September, so I hope I can help a little bit.

One important tip to remember is that you have only 4000 words so it could take a few redrafts and also let someone else e.g. family member, friend or tutor read over to pick out any mistakes.

The main aim of your personal statement is to sell yourself - you want to sure them how dedicated and passionate you are about Child Nursing. Also, its important you address how committed you are, they want someone that won't give up but tries their best.
In your introductory paragraph you should write a few sentences on why you chose child nursing and why not any other specialities. For instance, you could state that you have attended open days or you have researched into child nursing which has made you realise that it is for you. You can reflect on the challenges of child nursing, however, you are determined to not let these get in your way. How other nurses from research has inspired you etc.

The most important part is highlighting your experience - this is where the university will look the most. It's best to have something related to health care - e.g. in a care home, nursery or even in a hospital. This will show them that you have some knowledge. What did you observe on these placements - did they inspire you even more (e.g. professionalism or maybe how friendly they were). What skills did you use when at these placements and how?

You could also speak a little bit about your current or previous studies and how some of the modules/units relate to children nursing e.g. anatomy and physiology - you will be discussing a lot about this in university - a project you have undertaken that may be relevant to child nursing.

What is it about your skills, attitudes, values that may you the right candidate.

Conclusion - your closing sentence should summarise your above paragraphs however you must not repeat yourself. You could state: why you believe you are the perfect student e.g. hard working and how this will ensure you are successful in university. And how you would love to study child nursing to finish your journey to become a nurse.

The hobbies and achievements aren't that important - they don't really focus on these when reading your personal statement - they are most interested in your relevant experience, therefore, if you don't have any experience as of yet, it's important that you find somewhere over the summer. This will help support your application. Also, they are interested on how committed you are.

I would recommend that you look at the university you have applied for as they may have specific information they require.

I am happy to read over your personal statement and provide tips on how to improve. Also, I am willing to answer anymore queries if you message me privately.

Shannon x
Hey,
Thanks for the tips. Quick question, are you a mature student?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads