Sixth form clothes ideas (girls)

Watch
BTS_ARMY_XOXO
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Where did you girls get your sixth form clothes from? The schools I want to go to, they have a business style dress policy. I'm LOST please help! Any shop recommendations?
FopePrancis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In Year 11 at my school we have a different uniform to the Year 7-10s, and it's black and white professional. I bought a really nice blazer from Banana Republic and my mum simply sewed the school logo onto it, perhaps you could do the same, without the logo? And you could get some high quality white shirts from other shops, a black skirt perhaps. If you don't want to look too formal, just add some trainers to the look, like Huaraches or Nike Air Forces.
PollyParrot23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I always shopped at ASDA and Primark and got complimented on the stuff :L I don't know exactly how strict your dress code is but mine went nuts over skirts (they'd walk round with bits of paper and measured up from your knee and if your skirt was too short you'd get sent home) so we had to lose the little black bodycon skirts (not exactly business though are they).

For skirts I wore knee length textured black bodycon one (Peacocks) that was still reasonably stylish but complied with the dress code. My other favourite was a houndstooth print skirt (again bodycon, they were fussy about length but not tightness!) which I think was from newlook. I think you'd be safe with any dark coloured skirt that's not too flouncy or short or decorative.

Tailored trousers (Primark- they were cheap but stretchy and comfy as anything!) that looked smart but not frumpy and just reached my ankles in black or navy.

Shirts were in materials like chiffon (not too casual or too dressy). Although we couldn't have our shoulders on show, we had to wear blazers so sleeveless shirts were popular and we weren't limited on colour or pattern so I'd either jazz up my outfit with a patterned shirt or wear a black colour shirt with a necklace (statement but not huge!). You can get them from any clothes shop.

Fine knit jumpers and tops too- I have a high neck, long sleeved black knitted top (or jumper, I'm not actually sure) that to be honest is probably a little bit too clingy to be appropriate but with a blazer over it looks smart.

I wasn't a big dress but my head of sixth form once complimented me on a form fitting black and white aztec print dress so you don't necessarily have to be really dull in what you wear.

I assume you'll need a blazer if they want business wear so I'd recommend ASDA, the womens blazers are more tailored than the school blazers so they look a bit more sophisticated.

Shoes again- basics from ASDA or Primark. A pair of black flats and a pair of black ankle boots should do you.

My best advice would be to look at what your current sixth formers wear and see what your school deems appropriate
Pastelx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My sixth form is mostly casual when it comes to school-wear, but for Model UN I have to wear smart clothes

I got a blazer from Matalan which is really nice, and Matalan is also good for general dresses for business-type wear.
I bought white blouses from various shops: Primark, M&S etc. and these are really easy to find plus they work with anything!
For skirts, you can probably wear any nice pencil skirts you already own or buy any ythat you like- pencil skirts always look professional and smart but of course there are other smart skirts out there

Good luck!
aspire.1a
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ShiawaseNekox3)
Where did you girls get your sixth form clothes from? The schools I want to go to, they have a business style dress policy. I'm LOST please help! Any shop recommendations?
New look, Zara
username2575447
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My sixth form is always REALLLLLY strict on the 'business dress' policy right up until about Christmas, then they forget all about it. I guess when exams come around they kinda take priority over the dress code. I can't guarantee your Sixth Form will be the same, but I wouldn't recommend spending loads on outfits just in case.

When they say 'business' wear, they generally just mean that it has to look smart. Most sixth forms have a massive issue with girls and patterned trousers (trust me, I would know), so I'd give these a wide miss if you can help it.

I brought a black blazer from Primark for £5 and it looks really good for the price (and washes well!), they sell some smart trousers and skirts too for low prices that actually look quite nice! Try to get some nice blouses/ shirts too

I brought the rest of my clothes from H&M and the few odd bits off eBay. I'd recommend splashing out on one or two DECENT pairs of shoes that will last you all year rather than buying loads of less expensive shoes- I made this mistake this year!

Don't worry about 'blending in' and looking the same as everyone else, honestly after a week or so nobody will even notice what you're wearing (in the nicest possible way), so don't stress too much! Just wear what you feel comfortable in, study hard and you'll be fine
s4b3rt00th
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
wait, sixth forms have dress codes? whaaat?
sabana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would get some pretty tops and pencil skirts. You can match loads of tops with the same skirt. I wear a skirt and top quite often to work it looks really classy with minimal effort. Shops wise I'd suggest Dorothy Perkins is really good for formal clothes that also look stylish (that's wear I get most of my workwear) but also new look and H and M. I also like to wear formal dresses some times to work, you can find these in lots of stores.
kromaha
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For shoes try deichmann and bags on amazon or tk maxx
Onamika
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Six
abs96
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How about midi skirts with cami tops and cardigans?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (296)
55.95%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.05%

Watched Threads