Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, if you do 18 units of maths- you are given A Levels in Maths, Further Maths and ............ ? What is the name for the third Maths A Level. It wouldnt neccesarilly be pure, stats or mechs cos you could do decision....

ReputationRep:
    Additional Further Mathematics

ReputationRep:
    or statistics

ReputationRep:
    OCR MEI allows you to do four mathematics alevels, as someone who got rejected from emmanuel college cambridge last year for maths had done 4 alevel maths he did 10 alevels altogether with 7 A grades and 3 Bs...i think he is at imperial doing maths now...he was in daily mail last august...neway he did maths, f maths, aditional f maths, and statistics...

ReputationRep:
    yeh edexcel only allow p1-6 (or c1-4 fp1-3) s1-6 (or s1-4) m1-6 (or m1-5) and d1-2 (means new syllabus). whilst aqa have all those other ones like numerical methods or whatever..

ReputationRep:
    oh- forgot to say- in what subjects were his 3 B's though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)
    oh- forgot to say- in what subjects were his 3 B's though?
    B in music, german and history (not sure of history) i still have the press cutting at home..will find it later

ReputationRep:
    Wow, so what modules would you do if you do the 4 alevels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    well he got rejected so cant be "that" clever...only MEI allows u to do 6 alevels...u would do 24 modules...they seem to have changed it this year u can only do 3 now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    You can do...*cough*
    Pure 1
    Pure 2
    Pure 3
    Pure 4
    Pure 5
    Pure 6

Mechs 1
    Mechs 2
    Mechs 3
    Mechs 4 (Differential Equations)
    Mechs 5
    Mechs 6

Stats 1
    Stats 2
    Stats 3
    Stats 4
    Stats 5
    Stats 6
    Commercial and Inudustrial Stats

Numerical Methods
    Numerical Computation
    Numerical Analysis

Decision and Discrete 1
    Decision and Discrete 2
    Discrete Computation

I'm pretty sure there was a Modelling in Mechanics module (that may have been abolished though)

However from next year, MEI, (like all the other exam boards) is restructing its A level syllabus and many of these modules are also being abolished, I don't think they are even offering Further Mathematics Additional (18 mods)infact.

ReputationRep:
    yeh- like i said before- the new syllabus is summin liek c1-4, fp1-3, s1-4, m1-5, d1-2 thats for edexcel. although at my school nxt year we're going to do the old one and do nov, jan and june sits.. which u cant do on the new syllabus

ReputationRep:
    Why some universities say they count Maths and Further Maths as one A-level ? :confused:
    And a school I applied last year asked me to choose one more A-level when I have already chosen four (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry) ! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinity Blume)
    You can do...*cough*
    Pure 1
    Pure 2
    Pure 3
    Pure 4
    Pure 5
    Pure 6

Mechs 1
    Mechs 2
    Mechs 3
    Mechs 4 (Differential Equations)
    Mechs 5
    Mechs 6

Stats 1
    Stats 2
    Stats 3
    Stats 4
    Stats 5
    Stats 6
    Commercial and Inudustrial Stats

Numerical Methods
    Numerical Computation
    Numerical Analysis

Decision and Discrete 1
    Decision and Discrete 2
    Discrete Computation

I'm pretty sure there was a Modelling in Mechanics module (that may have been abolished though)

However from next year, MEI, (like all the other exam boards) is restructing its A level syllabus and many of these modules are also being abolished, I don't think they are even offering Further Mathematics Additional (18 mods)infact.
    yea u can still do further additional maths in the new syllabus- for edexcel they have highlighted AS additional further maths more so than in the old syllabus. however as edexcel only doin 17 units, u cant do a2 additional further maths (only on old syllabus)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)
    yea u can still do further additional maths in the new syllabus- for edexcel they have highlighted AS additional further maths more so than in the old syllabus. however as edexcel only doin 17 units, u cant do a2 additional further maths (only on old syllabus)
    yep, you're quite right, there shall be 21 mods in maths on MEI next year, so you could still do 3.5 alevels I guess.

ReputationRep:
    thought i'd better add- im pretty sure on ocr and aqa- there are atleast 18 units for nxt yr

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 30, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.