The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Don't think they're great tbh, the guy at my tesco did biomed at Keele but then again Keele ain't good.
Depends if you're clever in your course choice variation.

Finished my course placement on the Friday, began my career at a Biomedical Scientist on the Monday. Not great you say?
Reply 3
Original post by TraineeBMS

Finished my course placement on the Friday, began my career at a Biomedical Scientist on the Monday. Not great you say?

So its more about the personality of the individual ?

That's pretty good, how much you get paid?
Original post by Khanman123
That's pretty good, how much you get paid?

How much I get paid is nothing to do with you.
Original post by bobby147
So its more about the personality of the individual ?

No, it's about picking the right variation of the course. People that do the Biomedical Science course and want to be a NHS BMS and then complain that they graduate qualified up to a Band 2 Medical Laboratory Assistant level because they did the wrong course.
Reply 7
No, it's about picking the right variation of the course. People that do the Biomedical Science course and want to be a NHS BMS and then complain that they graduate qualified up to a Band 2 Medical Laboratory Assistant level because they did the wrong course.

Biomed is the wrong course ?
Or do you mean the course has to be certified ?
How much I get paid is nothing to do with you.

Why do people hate talking about money, I just think it's dumb. I'm just curious no need to be a dick about it.
Depends what you want to do after the degree. If your course is accredited then you could either apply for trainee BMS posts (rare, unfortunately) or go into research. But then again, you could really go into anything with a BMS degree due to its broad scientific content.

I did a placement as a trainee BMS in the year 15/16 (third year), just finished my final year and managed to to get a job pretty much straight away. I applied for four NHS BMS jobs and got four offers to start when I finish my final year. The job prospects aren't amazing, nor are they poor. There are plenty of BMS job out there, it's just having the experience and correct qualifications. As long as you study the correct degree and obtain the experience, you shouldn't really have much of a problem getting a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do people hate talking about money, I just think it's dumb. I'm just curious no need to be a dick about it.

Think you are the one being a dick mate with comments like

"Don't think they're great tbh, the guy at my tesco did biomed at Keele but then again Keele ain't good."

Hey, im stuck between biomed science and HCS.

1.The HCS University have HCS have brackets around them with different stuff like cardiovascular and respiratory or physiological, do these all lead to biomed scientist, how much do each title vary?

2. I am torm between HCS and BMS as i have seen videos on HCS and it involves lots of patient interaction in hospitals. For a person that hates person interaction and being seen by the public a lot, but rather just work in class is BMS better as it includes much less patient interaction and hospitals. Now here is the thing, i do need a hcpc portfolio but i won't be forced to do placements in hospitals by the uni but do a MLA job afterwards and get a hcpc and it will involve much less patient interaction and be BMS by that route.

3. Does a HCS student finish the same time as the rest or because of placement the finishing of the course is extended.
Basically i hate patient interaction and being seen my people like being in hospitals, and i think BMS has very small patient interaction and being an MLA won't involve too much either.

Also do you need a 2:1 or 1st to most likely get employed by NHS and anything under your arent likely to get approved by all bMS jobs.
Didnt say it was a bad degree did I? Ur just being a nonce cos I hurt ur feelings. And yeah Keele is a pretty bad uni.

Surely the grade of your degree matters more?
Original post by LIVERPOOL 12345
Surely the grade of your degree matters more?

Not necessarily, a 2:1 from UCL is much better than a 1st from keele.

How do you know this?
Original post by LIVERPOOL 12345
How do you know this?

That's just my opinion, but and most people will agree with me on that. A person studying at UCL is competing against top students, whereas someone studying at Keele is competing against mediocre students. So a 2:1 from UCL is more valuable than a 1st from Keele in most subjects IMO.
That's just my opinion, but and most people will agree with me on that. A person studying at UCL is competing against top students, whereas someone studying at Keele is competing against mediocre students. So a 2:1 from UCL is more valuable than a 1st from Keele in most subjects IMO.

That would make sense for A-levels, but at university you are not directly competing against your peers, their grade does not directly effect yours. In my opinion, coming from a more prestigous university may have an advantage when applying for certain jobs, however academics in some respects is less important for getting a job than experience in that field.
Original post by Ibrahmistrar
Hey, im stuck between biomed science and HCS.

1.The HCS University have HCS have brackets around them with different stuff like cardiovascular and respiratory or physiological, do these all lead to biomed scientist, how much do each title vary?

2. I am torm between HCS and BMS as i have seen videos on HCS and it involves lots of patient interaction in hospitals. For a person that hates person interaction and being seen by the public a lot, but rather just work in class is BMS better as it includes much less patient interaction and hospitals. Now here is the thing, i do need a hcpc portfolio but i won't be forced to do placements in hospitals by the uni but do a MLA job afterwards and get a hcpc and it will involve much less patient interaction and be BMS by that route.

3. Does a HCS student finish the same time as the rest or because of placement the finishing of the course is extended.
Basically i hate patient interaction and being seen my people like being in hospitals, and i think BMS has very small patient interaction and being an MLA won't involve too much either.

Only the ones with 'Life Science' in brackets lead to becoming a Biomedical Scientist. I don't know where you've been looking, but there's no patient interaction. I am an active Biomedical Scientist and I have 0 patient interaction. You have to know about Point of Care Testing, but that's about it. There are routes if you want some patient interaction but it is still limited.

The course finishes academically at the same time as the others but your final year placements ends the first week of June. Everyone then walks out of placement and straight into a Band 5 Biomedical Scientist job due to the high standard of training.

Funny story. In my lab we had two job applicants, one from the University of Bradford who had studied Healthcare Science (Life Science) and got a 2:2 and the other who had got a First in Biomedical Science at UCL. The UOB student aced the interview and got the job by a country mile due to studying a far more applicable course, having NHS laboratory experience and generally picking a far more employable course.

Latest