The Student Room Group

Does God exist?

Scroll to see replies

Here is the answer:

Maybe not, we don't know, but it's probably not
Reply 21
Original post by JMR2017
The ultimate debate: Does God exist?
What are your thoughts, does he? If so, why so? Or does he not. If not, why not?
I would love to hear some quality debate, however just a warning to please be respectful. I do not want this to turn nasty.

Short answer = No.

Long answer = No, humans evolved and were not created by an imaginary friend.
Original post by JMR2017
As I have said before, if God is going to give an eternal reward, he can't just hand everything to you.

Why not?

And as a follow up question, what do you believe to be the alternative fate for those who do not qualify for the "eternal reward"?
What do you mean by 'alternative date'.
Original post by JMR2017
What do you mean by 'alternative date'.

Sorry, autocorrect. It was meant to be alternative fate.
Original post by JMR2017
As I have said before, if God is going to give an eternal reward, he can't just hand everything to you.

Why not?
Original post by RogerOxon
Why not?

Would you give someone £1Million if they did not believe you even existed?
Alternative would be hell, the default of not being in heaven.
Original post by JMR2017
Alternative would be hell, the default of not being in heaven.

Do you not believe it's unfair for God to send people to hell simply because they would not swallow the claim he exists without any question?
No evidence whatsoever for a deity although a general one could potentially exist. However, the more human-like deities definitely aren't real.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FaZe Clan
People say since the recent advancements of space technology and knowledge, its clear he doesnt exist. but after learning about those things my self, for anything i am more convinced he exists...

e.g. Big Bang: how did the bug bang start. How did nothing explode.
When protons neutrons and electrons developed into atoms and then organelles, cells, bacteria, small animals ... at what point did they gain thought, emotions and consienceness...

The Big Bang didn't come from nothing, it was the expansion of a singularity. And this is kind of a moot point to make when theists believe God created the universe from nothing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Desperately wish he did
Reply 32
i need to stop thinking about this........makes me panicky.......what happens after we die??? :afraid:
Original post by queenofswords
Desperately wish he did

he does
I think there are two different things that are being discussed - you have the god(s) from religions like Christianity and Islam which are obviously false / at the very least not the same as presented in the scripture and then you have the 'god' that is responsible for the existence of the universe and morality and all that sort of stuff. Debating about religions is from my point of view a waste of time because they are quite clearly out dated tools for controlling large groups of people.

I think to say that the big bang happened and there wasn't anything before / we can't tell what was there before so therefore there must be a god is a flawed position to have. If you look at history the concept of god is consistently used to 'explain' that which the scientific understanding can't explain. To claim that god caused the big bang is, in my eyes, bad for the development of science because it prevents the inquiry to try and discover the science behind the big bang. You can either take the position that there is a physical mechanism that resulted in the big bang and existence or that there is some mystical being that caused it. The latter is in my opinion a completely counter productive idea to have.

To put it in context, in a similar way scientists don't completely understand processes such as photosynthesis, if in those discussions you say: 'well I can't imagine a mechanism for this process to take place, therefore god causes photosynthesis to happen', this is a completely useless position to have.
Yes
Reply 36
This is a perfect platform to bring to use my alevel philosophy lol
Reply 37
Original post by JMR2017
The ultimate debate: Does God exist?
What are your thoughts, does he? If so, why so? Or does he not. If not, why not?
I would love to hear some quality debate, however just a warning to please be respectful. I do not want this to turn nasty.

Yes he exists he told me at tesco this morning and that the Jack Daniels was half price he certainly moves in mysterious ways
Original post by hxylxy
This is a perfect platform to bring to use my alevel philosophy lol

I have not even done GCSE RS lol. I'm pretty fascinated by it though.
Original post by JMR2017
I have not even done GCSE RS lol. I'm pretty fascinated by it though.

Am I going to get a response to my questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending