What gcses do u need to get into OX/Bridge?? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What about AS's? Will they think i'm not oxbridge material because of my very-poor AS's or will they give me a chance? I hope that won't be the deciding factor on them giving me an offer...
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
What about AS's? Will they think i'm not oxbridge material because of my very-poor AS's or will they give me a chance? I hope that won't be the deciding factor on them giving me an offer...
You don't have to declare if you're;

a) Carrying on for A-Level
b) Trying to improve an AS through retakes

So they don't have to know!

But if they were really bad, it should make you think if you should apply.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
You don't have to declare if you're;

a) Carrying on for A-Level
b) Trying to improve an AS through retakes

So they don't have to know!

But if they were really bad, it should make you think if you should apply.
But perhaps if I dont' declare them, that'll make them think the reason for this is that they really are very bad - they're not actually I got AABB.
Bumblebee3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hmmm, what do you class as very poor AS grades? Whatever you got, AS levels are so unreliable now and they know that. Obviously a bit more important than GCSEs, but they will know that you will drop a subject that you are likely to do badly on so it wont affect your final A2 grades. As those of us who've been through it have said do your best at exams, but interviews and their work is the really important bit. I got in with AAB, but my interviews went well and I think I did some good work. Concentrate on developing your Philosophical ideas, and wider reading. We already know you have an absorbing, individual approach to things so there's no risk of the interviewer forgeting you!
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
But perhaps if I dont' declare them, that'll make them think the reason for this is that they really are very bad - they're not actually I got AABB.
Arrgh - declare them! If you don't, they will think you got Cs! Trust me, those results are very impressive (incl.to Cambridge) for AS level! People will be applying with less, they expect grades to improve by A2. Hell, you got 1 more A than me at AS and it didn't do me any harm. AABB "really bad" (walks off muttering )
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
Arrgh - declare them! If you don't, they will think you got Cs! Trust me, those results are very impressive (incl.to Cambridge) for AS level! People will be applying with less, they expect grades to improve by A2. Hell, you got 1 more A than me at AS and it didn't do me any harm. AABB "really bad" (walks off muttering )
Really?!!! Wow that is very encouraging Thank you! What did you get?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago

If Cambridge reject everyone who offers AABB at AS level, I think they will have serious problems!!! You should have no problems in applying with those grades. I know a guy who is still applying with ABBC (incidentally these are the same grades that I got....you have not idea what an ego boost it is..lol). You should have more faith that the nice Cambridge people will see what a great student you are (they are paid to do so afterall)!!!
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I got BBBC, and got an offer from Trinity. Although I didn't declare them. I've never been the type that studies really hard for exams (which was in the end my downfall!).

Personally I don't think they care about AS Results, more about predicted grades.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hehehe, well I'll be very scared if the interviewer is anything like you Leekey! *prays* (j/k) anyway thanks for that! Perhaps you should throw caution to the wind and give oxbridge a go too?
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I got BBBC, and got an offer from Trinity. Although I didn't declare them. I've never been the type that studies really hard for exams (which was in the end my downfall!).

Personally I don't think they care about AS Results, more about predicted grades.
yay!...do you think Trinity is as easy/difficult to get into as other colleges? There are more places but then again the standard is probably higher.
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
If Cambridge reject everyone who offers AABB at AS level, I think they will have serious problems!!!
Actually they reject tonnes of people every year that go on to acheive 3/4/5/6 straight As so they have no problem in turning away good applicants (because theyre all good). However I think Adshur has a great chance because she has a good A in Philosophy, and the Bs are in relatively unrelated subjects i think. Also her personal statement is good and she has done lots of reading so should do well at interveiw.
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Really?!!! Wow that is very encouraging Thank you! What did you get?
ABBB but I'm not a good example because (although they knew my AS grades,) I applied post A' level.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yay!...do you think Trinity is as easy/difficult to get into as other colleges? There are more places but then again the standard is probably higher.
Like Haz, I haven't got anything to compare it to. Although I was warned that the competition for Maths places at Trinity is particularly fierce. But like you said, they get many applicants.
I knew I wanted to go to Trinity as soon as I visited it.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
ABBB but I'm not a good example because (although they knew my AS grades,) I applied post A' level.
How come you were a post-A'Level appl.?
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by It'sPhil...)
Actually they reject tonnes of people every year that go on to acheive 3/4/5/6 straight As so they have no problem in turning away good applicants (because theyre all good). However I think Adshur has a great chance because she has a good A in Philosophy, and the Bs are in relatively unrelated subjects i think. Also her personal statement is good and she has done lots of reading so should do well at interveiw.
Awwwwww thank you!!! I hope my shyness and nerves don't ruin it!

As for Haz, I never knew people could improve grades so much. Did you get remarks etc? I'm hopefully upgrading my B through a remark. Plus I'm gonna work extra hard next year.
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How come you were a post-A'Level appl.?
I had my defferred place to read philosophy at Warwick and it seemed to be all sorted. Then I did a lot of thinking and realised that whilst I enjoyed philosophical debate, it may not be the right course. I have always been interested in Archaeology (living as i do a megaliths throw away from stone henge and Avebury.) Anthropology is just part of me - I'm always examining the things that influence people and it has a large philosophical aspect as well. So I declined my offer and applied the next year to read Arch and Anth at Cambridge. It was a risk, as only Cambridge and Durham offer this course as I don't like Durham! It payed off though.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
I had my defferred place to read philosophy at Warwick and it seemed to be all sorted. Then I did a lot of thinking and realised that whilst I enjoyed philosophical debate, it may not be the right course. I have always been interested in Archaeology (living as i do a megaliths throw away from stone henge and Avebury.) Anthropology is just part of me - I'm always examining the things that influence people and it has a large philosophical aspect as well. So I declined my offer and applied the next year to read Arch and Anth at Cambridge. It was a risk, as only Cambridge and Durham offer this course as I don't like Durham! It payed off though.
That unconditional offer from Cambridge must've been nice!
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
Perhaps you should throw caution to the wind and give oxbridge a go too?

I have no particular love for either Cambridge or Oxford, they are nice and everything (actually I have only seen Cambridge but I'll assume Oxford is the same... ) . My "holy grail" would be Bath but again I may be forced into performing sexual favours for the admissions people just to get them to pick up my application!!!

Good Luck though, you sound like a most deserving applicant!!!
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
My "holy grail" would be Bath but again I may be forced into performing sexual favours for the admissions people just to get them to pick up my application!!!

Good Luck though, you sound like a most deserving applicant!!!
That's cool Leekey! I'm starting at Bath in Oct. to do Maths and can't wait. I love the city, and the Universities sports facilities are easuly the best in Britain (or so I've heard).
If you really want to go to Bath, I could try to give you some advice for your application (not that you'd need it!). What do you want to study?
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That's cool Leekey! I'm starting at Bath in Oct. to do Maths and can't wait. I love the city, and the Universities sports facilities are easuly the best in Britain (or so I've heard).
If you really want to go to Bath, I could try to give you some advice for your application (not that you'd need it!). What do you want to study?
I would have thought Loughborough would have the best sports facilities.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (860)
80.37%
Leave (210)
19.63%

Watched Threads