Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
B1209 - Equality Act (Repeal) Bill 2017, Hon joecphillips MP

A
BILL TO
Repeal the Equality Act.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1- Repeal
Equality Act 2010 is hereby repealed

3- Citation and commencement
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on Royal Assent
(3) This Act may be referred to as the Equality Act (Repeal) Act 2017

[bNotes[/b]]
Basiil17
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
QFA
I can't see any notes or a section two, is there a problem?
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
I can't see any notes or a section two, is there a problem?
No, the bill was submitted without a section 2 or any notes.
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
No, the bill was submitted without a section 2 or any notes.
OK, joecphillips can't count, or explain what his bill does, so Nay.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nope.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Y'know for someone who whined and ranted in the Libertarian PMs thread for about 10 pages, it's shocking you can't even be bothered to write a sentence or two for this bill explaining your reasoning...
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No justification provided.

Strong nay.
username3380984
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree with the principle but it is poorly written.
Abstain.
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
abstain, not enough (or any) detail/ justification
mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay

What is this lol there's nothing written in the bill and no explanation no notes no nothing.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Abstain.

I agree with the principle but the bill is poorly written and provides no justification, hence why it is a PMB and not Party legislation.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Abstain, for the same reasons as everybody above.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay. The Equality Act is not, contrary to what its critics say, a piece of legislation which requires positive discrimination (except in one tiny situation where women on maternity leave are required to be given priority for suitable alternative roles in redundancy situations). Rather, it is the founding basis of discrimination law in the UK, and repealing it would arguably take us back, legally speaking, to the dark days before the Race Relations Act. Think "If you want a ****** for a neighbour, vote Liberal or Labour".

The Equality Act is the bastion of social liberalism in the UK, and those who oppose it yet call themselves "liberals" are making complete fools of themselves.
Count Bezukhov
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay, this bill is poorly written. Even in principle, the negative effects incurred by the repeal of this bill outweigh the advantages (namely, increasing the freedom of the individual to choose who to employ). Would possibly be open to repealing it for certain areas of employment, such as small family-run businesses, if carried out correctly, but not for the vast majority of areas of employment.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Count Bezukhov)
Nay, this bill is poorly written. Even in principle, the negative effects incurred by the repeal of this bill outweigh the advantages (namely, increasing the freedom of the individual to choose who to employ). Would possibly be open to repealing it for certain areas of employment, such as small family-run businesses, if carried out correctly, but not for the vast majority of areas of employment.
Most discrimination under the EA is already legal if it is a "proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim", and what is proportionate will take into account the nature and resources of the actor.
Count Bezukhov
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Most discrimination under the EA is already legal if it is a "proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim", and what is proportionate will take into account the nature and resources of the actor.
That's fair enough, although "legitimate aim" is not very clear, so additional definition would be good. However, this is a very minor nitpick lol
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Count Bezukhov)
That's fair enough, although "legitimate aim" is not very clear, so additional definition would be good. However, this is a very minor nitpick lol
Eh, it's a phrase borrowed straight from international human rights law. There's pretty extensive case law on it, although I appreciate it may not necessarily be transparent to a lay person (however, on the other hand, if you gave a definition which was more detailed and as comprehensive in meaning, it would make the legislation impenetrably lengthy).
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Poorly written and no justification for such a repeal.
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay. There seems to be this common trend going with the start of a new parliamentary term, everyone sending in poorly written legislation. This is no exception ... you're planning to repeal the Equality Bill without giving us any further detail in the notes section as to why. Just a complete shambles.
wolfmoon88
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
Nay, like everyone else said: no justification is provided and it is poorly formatted.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.75%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.64%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.63%
No, I am unable to (140)
23.1%
No, I chose not to (175)
28.88%