The Student Room Group

Financial stress and job hunting is bringing me down

My depression seems to be taking a massive nose dive, particularly now I'm slipping into debt, which is partly because I dont get paid much and because my partner hasnt been going to work for last week as shes suffering from depression and is unable to sleep.

Shes unsatisfied with her job which ultimately means absense, and losing out with just one wage coming in. Im trying to pay our rent our overdue council tax and my phone bill; but already in the red.

Alongside this, I've struggled to find a graduate job after uni which is making me more low.

Im having cbt therapy soon and on medication but im still feeling very stressed and low.
Original post by royal1990
My depression seems to be taking a massive nose dive, particularly now I'm slipping into debt, which is partly because I dont get paid much and because my partner hasnt been going to work for last week as shes suffering from depression and is unable to sleep.

Shes unsatisfied with her job which ultimately means absense, and losing out with just one wage coming in. Im trying to pay our rent our overdue council tax and my phone bill; but already in the red.

Alongside this, I've struggled to find a graduate job after uni which is making me more low.

Im having cbt therapy soon and on medication but im still feeling very stressed and low.

Is she able to search for a different job perhaps? Is she eligible for any sickness benefits?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Is she able to search for a different job perhaps? Is she eligible for any sickness benefits?

She is trying but finding it hard because we have no working internet connection in the house, because we fell behind with it.

Additionally, because of this I've had to take out extra data bolt ons on my phone so we can both access internet, at a further cost.

Also finding work is easier said than done, even the most mundane of jobs, but her problem is as much a lack of direction as it is depression and boredom in her job.

She went on sick for a week, despite her GP asking if she wanted a fortnight off. She asked for one week on sick because she knew if she had longer off she wouldn't want to go back.

Sure enough, she was right and in fact found it hard to go back; even on half days.

The other problem with sick pay is she gets only a small fraction of what she would earn working and it makes it even more complex.

Can't go on sick because of lack of money, cant go to work because it exacerbates mental health, which either way we loose out.

It seems like an inescapable trap.

It isnt helping me either in terms of my own wellbeing. Im struggling too.
She is trying but finding it hard because we have no working internet connection in the house, because we fell behind with it.

Additionally, because of this I've had to take out extra data bolt ons on my phone so we can both access internet, at a further cost.

Also finding work is easier said than done, even the most mundane of jobs, but her problem is as much a lack of direction as it is depression and boredom in her job.

She went on sick for a week, despite her GP asking if she wanted a fortnight off. She asked for one week on sick because she knew if she had longer off she wouldn't want to go back.

Sure enough, she was right and in fact found it hard to go back; even on half days.

The other problem with sick pay is she gets only a small fraction of what she would earn working and it makes it even more complex.

Can't go on sick because of lack of money, cant go to work because it exacerbates mental health, which either way we loose out.

It seems like an inescapable trap.

It isnt helping me either in terms of my own wellbeing. Im struggling too.

Do you have access to a library nearby or a citizens advice bureau that could help with forms and things? With the extra data, often changing to more expensive contracts but removing the bolt ins could help or perhaps a dongle for topping up.
Is further training or retraining in something an option for her? She may not be eligible but pip is available when you re in work.
Also this guide is possibly a good read for your situation http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Do you have access to a library nearby or a citizens advice bureau that could help with forms and things? With the extra data, often changing to more expensive contracts but removing the bolt ins could help or perhaps a dongle for topping up.
Is further training or retraining in something an option for her? She may not be eligible but pip is available when you re in work.
Also this guide is possibly a good read for your situation http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/mental-health-guide

Yeah there will be one nearby, however unsure as to where CAB or library is in this area (I'm relatively new to area).

Yeah I'm looking at paying my bill, and then paying off outstanding internet bill and opening an account with another provider at a cheaper rate (so we can access in house).

At the moment we're both tied to running the house, paying off arrears, so having time and means to fund that and further study is complex.

She does however want to do a PGCE to teach, but she was particularly bothered about the fact teachers are getting laid off more often than not.

It's finding the time to do these things while trying to work to earn a living. That's the thing, I have mates that still live at home telling me to just retrain or go back to uni (as I'm unhappy with job also), but they don't understand the situation we're in because they don't pay rent or have bills to pay.

I ain't too sure what either of us are entitled too. Just very recently I'm getting very drained and stressed with my living situation, our finances and my job and I'm just very miserable, at my wits end. I want to pack in my job and go on sick but reluctant because of above.

Life is so hard, and I feel like many people I know have it easier, rich parents, right connections, going abroad with less expenses. And there is me struggling to get by after university depressed to the max.
Yeah there will be one nearby, however unsure as to where CAB or library is in this area (I'm relatively new to area).

Yeah I'm looking at paying my bill, and then paying off outstanding internet bill and opening an account with another provider at a cheaper rate (so we can access in house).

At the moment we're both tied to running the house, paying off arrears, so having time and means to fund that and further study is complex.

She does however want to do a PGCE to teach, but she was particularly bothered about the fact teachers are getting laid off more often than not.

It's finding the time to do these things while trying to work to earn a living. That's the thing, I have mates that still live at home telling me to just retrain or go back to uni (as I'm unhappy with job also), but they don't understand the situation we're in because they don't pay rent or have bills to pay.

I ain't too sure what either of us are entitled too. Just very recently I'm getting very drained and stressed with my living situation, our finances and my job and I'm just very miserable, at my wits end. I want to pack in my job and go on sick but reluctant because of above.

Life is so hard, and I feel like many people I know have it easier, rich parents, right connections, going abroad with less expenses. And there is me struggling to get by after university depressed to the max.

If she wants to do a pgce then funding for that is at least pretty good. There's many calculators online that will explain what you re entitled to. Life is hard, yes that's a fact, perhaps take comfort in those people being 21 and still not being able to let the bank of Mum and dad go.

Quick Reply

Latest