Turn on thread page Beta

My Economics PS Structure watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to discuss the structure of my personal statement

*Opening Paragraph (Why im choosing to study economics, books ive read relating to subject etc)
    * Work Experience - which is economics related
    *Charity work - which is also economics related
    *Sports
    *Last Paragraph - regarding my role in university etc

Im just worried, i did not write about Subjects and how they helped.. i chose maths, economics, geo, ict (dropped)... does this matter much, because both my work experience and my charity work both involve economical work....

Any advice would be helping...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by usman_psycho)
    Just wanted to discuss the structure of my personal statement

*Opening Paragraph (Why im choosing to study economics, books ive read relating to subject etc)
    * Work Experience - which is economics related
    *Charity work - which is also economics related
    *Sports
    *Last Paragraph - regarding my role in university etc

Im just worried, i did not write about Subjects and how they helped.. i chose maths, economics, geo, ict (dropped)... does this matter much, because both my work experience and my charity work both involve economical work....

Any advice would be helping...
    Generally only about 1/3 max ought to be on interests/work exp etc but it sounds as though you could stretch it at bit.
    I would however ensure you have a parag in there about aspects of the subject you have studied that you really like and have extended your reading on, but you should also put in bits from your other subjects to show how complementary they are either in terms of subject content or skills to your chosen course. If you don't write much about your academic side, that might sound a little suspicious. It depends what sort of course you are going for... if its applied business, then no prob, if it's LSE for Econometrics, then pile on the academic stuff!

ReputationRep:
    gr8 more problems....

im looking to apply for straight economics at cambridge, ucl, lse, warwick, durham and city...

wot do u mean academic?

cuz ive shown all my interest in the subject.... and my subjects will be on the form anyway.. so it is necessary for me to tlak about it ..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    gr8 more problems....

im looking to apply for straight economics at cambridge, ucl, lse, warwick, durham and city...

wot do u mean academic?

cuz ive shown all my interest in the subject.... and my subjects will be on the form anyway.. so it is necessary for me to tlak about it ..
    Might be a good idea to expand on the aspects of econ that have stimulated your interest in taking it further and perhaps even identifying by name some particular writers (eg David Smith in the Sunday Times and Larry Elliot in the Guardian) or a particular econ book you have read eg Globalisation and its discontents by Stiglitz.....

ReputationRep:
    oh rite..

lol, ive put Charles Wheelen's "Naked Economics".. and my interest in Global Economics... also wrote about "The Economist"

is Naked EConomics something to brag about.. or is it totally rubbish for Uni's?!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    oh rite..

lol, ive put Charles Wheelen's "Naked Economics".. and my interest in Global Economics... also wrote about "The Economist"

is Naked EConomics something to brag about.. or is it totally rubbish for Uni's?!
    Send a pm to BazThe Money on this forum - he's just finished PPE at Ox and is going to Cam to do an MPhil(?) in Econ.

ReputationRep:
    oh rite..

lolz ....u knw wat im exactly in ur position? im sittin down in dubai here .... n im applyin for economics to lse warwick n oxford....so far da only consolation i have is 4A*s n 4As in my O levels n A in economics n B in business for my A levels....my ucas form is a joke....at u hav Naked Economics....my personal statement is completely naked!!

wats ur biodata anyway? love peace cheers ciao!

ReputationRep:
    oh rite..

lolz ....u knw wat im exactly in ur position! im sittin down in dubai here .... n im applyin for economics to lse warwick n oxford....so far da only consolation i have is 4A*s n 4As in my O levels n A in economics n B in business for my A levels....my ucas form is a joke....at least u hav Naked Economics....my personal statement is completely naked!!

wats ur biodata anyway? love peace cheers ciao!

ReputationRep:
    biodata!?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.