Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a couple of friends who want to do medicine. Their grades aren't brilliant, and aren't high enough to get them the AAB predictions (our school usually predicts only one grade above your AS levels).

What are their possible options - other than retaking the year or begging for higher predicted grades?

I've also been reading on another med forum that the Clinical Science route to medicine isn't as great as it appears. How good is the outlook for someone with that as their first degree applying to medicine as a postgrad? Or would it be better to have another first degree in biomedical science?

How much more competative is medicine at degree level? And do you still need high A level grades to be concidered?

ReputationRep:
    Dunno but for mature students requirements for A-Level still applies, but now if you have a degree you would also need at least a 2.1 to be considered - I think. Why don't you ask your friends to check out prospectuses? - it does say there, requirements for postgrads. Medicine is highly competitive, about all I do know, I heard a med student mention that getting in is the hardest part, not the course. I heard a teacher say once someone from our school didn't get the grades for medicine, got B's etc, went to do neuroscience degree, came out with a first, then accepted into medicine course and is now a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    the average GEP for both 2003 and 2004 entry had around 30 applicants per place. Much more competative that school leaver entry 6 applicants per place).

AS and predicted grades really mean little. Is A2s that cuont. Even if you froend gets no offers they should make surethey bag AAA/AAB/do as best as they can. they can always gap and reapply then.

Some schools do still look at A-Levels for graduates (some for the GEP some for their 5 year courses), regardless of degree class and post graduate qualifications, you that's something to be aware of.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.

So, the best plan would be to still apply for medicine and take a Gap year if you recieve no offers?

The graduate entry looks tough...and if you still need the A-level grades I can see why it's better to reapply.

I'll pass the info on

ReputationRep:
    im so confused..having had very little time this year i have only completed work experience in my local GP surgery. When doing my duke of ed award last year i did work exp in a nursery and i completed a first aid course.
    However, i fear this is not enough and i have applied for work exp at numerous hospitals but to no avail.
    What i was wondering is does anyone know if its possible to write on ur ucas form that u are intending to carry out alot more work exp in the medical sector during this year(a-level yr) without actually having done it before submitting ur form?
    This is what i intend to do as i have no other option as my form has to be in by sept 22nd.
    thanx xxxx

ps) i have low AS grades with AACD in spanish psychology chemistry and biology, respectively. I am getting a tutor this year for my sciences.....what are my chances?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice.

I’m posting up my friends situation as she asked me to, as she hasn’t got much of an idea what to do next, and we don’t know if we’ll get any advice from school (none was offered on results day).

My friend got BDDD for general studies, chemistry, biology and history, respectively, at AS-level.

She is unsure what to do next as (well, as we are led to believe) our school will only predict the grade above on the UCAS form (so CCC excluding general studies).

She doesn’t know whether to:

- Try and get her teachers to predict higher grades and apply directly to med school

- Apply to one of these courses where there is the possibility of a transfer to med school (like clinical sciences at Bradford)

- Apply as a graduate (she’s looking at courses which say “graduates with a good degree in “X” qualify for entry into the four year graduate program” – what are the chances of success on this route? (she says she definitely doesn’t want to do a degree if she can’t get into medicine with it).

(- Retake the year) <- I don’t think she even sees this as a possibility, but if it’s a good idea..

Work wise – she thinks she tried her best when it came to working by herself/revising ect but she didn’t work hard enough in lessons (and personally I think our teachers aren’t that brilliant, but I know that isn’t an excuse).

She has 1 weeks work experience at hospital, 6 weeks work experience at a pharmacy, and is fundraising for a trip to an India where she will help out in a hospital for 3 weeks.

Any advice, options, ect would be appreciated. I know this is a simillar post to the first one, but I wanted to clarify things.

ReputationRep:
    i think her chances sound really good with the experience side, and i think that if she can pull her grades up this year she stands a good chance, i think she shd talk to her teacher n promise she will work her ass off nxt yr!
    personally, im very worried as i have nto done much exp at all, what can i do?? xx

ReputationRep:
    Only problem is, she doesn't get on very well with one of our chemistry teachers (apparently parents evening with her was fun :rolleyes: ).

As for work experiance, all I can say is to make a list of any health related places you can think of (hospitals, pharmacies, optitians, care homes ect) and use the yellow pages/local phone book to find telephone numbers/adresses and either write/phone/visit them and ask about getting work experiance. [This is of the top of my head, so I don't know how sucessful it would be]

Another tip is to ask friends if they have any local family/friends/neighbours who work in any of the places aforementioned (probably easier to get in if you know someone)

ReputationRep:
    thanx hun hope it all works for ur m8 too xx

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 29, 2004

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.