?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Sena5)
Yes?
loool thats NICE where u from?
jkls92
Badges: 20
Report 2 years ago
There are some Americans, Europeans and International students in general here. I'm currently living in Milan.
Miguel22Aresta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm from Portugal so I go there once in a while...I've been living in the UK for a year and three months
Sena5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sissoue)
loool thats NICE where u from?
Sri Lankan. You?
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sissoue)
Am I the only person who using a British website or... Confuse
Romanian here.

However, I lived in the UK for two years, plan to go to a UK university, and registered back when I was still living in the UK.

There are quite a few others too.
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sena5)
Sri Lankan. You?
Tagging Reshyna because she is also from Sri Lanka and I do not know if you two know about that
jhgjhgg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Michiyo)
Romanian here.

However, I lived in the UK for two years, plan to go to a UK university, and registered back when I was still living in the UK.

There are quite a few others too.
But what about brexit? What will you do then?
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jhgjhgg)
But what about brexit? What will you do then?
EU students who start university in the UK this autumn (like me) remain eligible for the same student funding as they did before and for them, the fees will stay the same as those for domestic students until they finish their course.

I will be fine.
jhgjhgg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
EU students who start university in the UK this autumn (like me) remain eligible for the same student funding as they did before and for them, the fees will stay the same as those for domestic students until they finish their course.

I will be fine.
But will you get to stay in the UK after brexit, I don't think so, only the people who got to the UK before the brexit date (March 2017).
jhgjhgg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I will be fine.
Why are you studying in the UK if you can't stay here?
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But will you get to stay in the UK after brexit, I don't think so, only the people who got to the UK before the brexit date (March 2017).
Who said I plan to stay in the UK? I plan to get a master's and maybe a doctorate and then leave the UK :laugh:
jhgjhgg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Who said I plan to stay in the UK? I plan to get a master's and maybe a doctorate and then leave the UK :laugh:
What will you study? How will you fund the doctorate and masters?

Masters fees are at least £10,000
Doctorates are £4200 a year for EU students, but you may be too late next year. You may end up paying £12000 a year. Studentships are for UK and EU students, but this may be too late as well.
stoyfan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I will be fine.
Are you living in Bucharest?

If so, how was the weather in the past few days?
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What will you study? How will you fund the doctorate and masters?

Masters fees are at least £10,000
Doctorates are £4200 a year for EU students, but you may be too late next year. You may end up paying £12000 a year. Studentships are for UK and EU students, but this may be too late as well.
Are you trying to convince me not to do my master's/doctorate in the UK or something? Because it is not working.

I will fund my studies through scholarships (if I will be eligible for any) and/or work, of course. I already have a plan for that, but I will not post it since a lot of things may change until I get to put my plan into action, which would render it useless. Besides, I need to get into university before that.

(Original post by stoyfan)
Are you living in Bucharest?

If so, how was the weather in the past few days?
The weather has been fluctuating between very hot and rainy. Why do you ask?
jhgjhgg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you trying to convince me not to do my master's/doctorate in the UK or something? Because it is not working.

I will fund my studies through scholarships (if I will be eligible for any) and/or work, of course. I already have a plan for that, but I will not post it since a lot of things may change until I get to put my plan into action, which would render it useless. Besides, I need to get into university before that.

I'm just saying it is stupid to study in the UK if you don't plan to stay here. You will spend a lot of money (which you may or may not have) and get a qualification that is not much better than the ones in Romania.

It is very possible you will end up spending £10K + £12K = £22K on two degrees at a bare minimum. If brexit deals turn nasty, expect to spend £46K (which I doubt you will spend on education, unless you are very rich, which I don't know).

It just doesn't make sense to study in the UK if you don't want to stay here.
jhgjhgg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Very few scholarships will give you full funding and the ones that do are very competitive. Working part time on minimum wage won't be able to cover the fees let alone your living expenses. I hope you are rich.
stoyfan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm just saying it is stupid to study in the UK if you don't plan to stay here. You will spend a lot of money (which you may or may not have) and get a qualification that is not much better than the ones in Romania.

It is very possible you will end up spending £10K + £12K = £22K on two degrees at a bare minimum. If brexit deals turn nasty, expect to spend £46K (which I doubt you will spend on education, unless you are very rich, which I don't know).

I think she already got an offer from a British uni, (look at Michiyo's blog).And I think she can still use student loans.

Oh, I am going there in a couple of weeks. I might also visit Brasov or Costanta
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Masters's in the UK = 1-2 years
Doctorate in the UK = 3-4 years

Master's in Romania = 3 years
Doctorate in Romania = 5 years

I would rather pay to get the same qualifications in 4 years rather than 8. I do not have all the time in the world, after all. Hope that makes sense to you now.

Very few scholarships will give you full funding and the ones that do are very competitive. Working part time on minimum wage won't be able to cover the fees let alone your living expenses. I hope you are rich.
Good luck to me, then

Like I said, I have a plan. And my plan is not the ask my parents for money and/or have part-time work on minimum wage as the only source of income. You are just assuming things at this point :laugh:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (173)
24.3%
Pop (176)
24.72%
Jazz (29)
4.07%
Classical (41)
5.76%
Hip-Hop (128)
17.98%