The Student Room Group

What did you guys/gals picked for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Chemistry

Physics

Maths

And an EPQ, in Chemistry,
I don't know what topic I'm going to do it about, but I'm thinking along the regions of: fuel, new energy sources, new materials, solar cells, carbon, the behaviour of specific chemicals in specific conditions, and efficiency of processes. Or I might find a PhD paper on the internet and base my ideas off of that.
(Where are all the non science and maths people)

I did
English Lit
Geography
RS

Did History and Creative Writing to AS
Reply 62
Art, English Lit, Physics.
Depending on my maths result I may pick Maths over Eng. Lit. I really would love to do an extra A level but we'll see after my results if I'm capable. French sounds like a very nice option.
Reply 63
Original post by YourGoddamnRight
Chemistry

Physics

Maths

And an EPQ, in Chemistry,
I don't know what topic I'm going to do it about, but I'm thinking along the regions of: fuel, new energy sources, new materials, solar cells, carbon, the behaviour of specific chemicals in specific conditions, and efficiency of processes. Or I might find a PhD paper on the internet and base my ideas off of that.

I'm going to do choose the same things for A-Levels, might do EPQ.
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Geography
EPQ
Original post by TheSpeedyz
I just wondering what you guys or gals picked for A-Levels.

For me, I picked...
Maths
Computer Science
Physics
Further Maths (but might do Chemistry instead).

What about you guys or gals?

I'm doing
Biology
Chemistry
Law
Chinese
I did pretty similar choices to you!

Maths
Computer Science
Physics
Games Development (BTEC)
Reply 67
Original post by TheSpeedyz
I just wondering what you guys or gals picked for A-Levels.

For me, I picked...
Maths
Computer Science
Physics
Further Maths (but might do Chemistry instead).

What about you guys or gals?

Geography
Biology
PE
Reply 68
Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Physics (possibly chem)
In terms of advice don't take further maths unless you know you will be revising everyday from year 12 to the end of the exams. My maths teacher (the smartest teacher I know) advised set 1 students not to take it unless you are confident because the new content is very difficult.
Original post by Ash8991
Ooo, that's a nice EPQ topic! I got fascinated by "Terraforming" after watching a film called "Battle for Terra" a couple of years back.

Yeah I chose my title in 5 minutes after going to the EPQ presentation, chose it after a article in a issue of wonderpedia about terraforming Mars. The terraforming part was pretty hard to research as most of it was theoretical stuff like how many 500KM diameter meteors would need to be launched at Venus to remove its atmosphere so the atmospheric pressure was the same as the Earths (yes this was in an actual research paper lol).
Original post by WarriorKnight15
I am doing:
- Maths
- Further Maths
- Physics
- History
- EPQ (I think it's worth half an A level?)

Spoiler

I'm doing the same subjects! Although perhaps not EPQ.
Original post by _gcx
Why only AS? :P

English, Latin and a modern language are more important for linguistics (even the maths and linguistics degree I'm probably applying for doesn't require or recommend full further maths) and I'm not sure if I could handle five full A-levels on top of everything else - and an EPQ equivalent, which I always forget I'm doing. Your A-levels suit you really well!
Maths, Economics, Computer Science, Law
Was thinking of doing Maths, Physics, Philosophy and Biology but honestly I think I will just not do Biology and stick to the others.
Original post by Vikingninja
Yeah I chose my title in 5 minutes after going to the EPQ presentation, chose it after a article in a issue of wonderpedia about terraforming Mars. The terraforming part was pretty hard to research as most of it was theoretical stuff like how many 500KM diameter meteors would need to be launched at Venus to remove its atmosphere so the atmospheric pressure was the same as the Earths (yes this was in an actual research paper lol).

Lol, that sounds pretty wacko
Maths
Physics
Economics
English lit
Reply 77
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
English Literature
WBQ (Compulsory in my school)

One may end up being swapped for Maths depending on results :smile:
If I get the right grades I might do Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Politics /Ancient History/Geography
Original post by Ash8991
Lol, that sounds pretty wacko

Yeah I ended up having the largest report by atleast 2000 words at my college (you are given a recommended limit but everyone else thought it was an exact limit). Had to write a lot to justify it in my review of it. Terraforming was hard to research as there wasn't much on it and I wrote about Brasilia about the feasibility of creating a colony on another habitable planet. I learned quite a few things from it like how to create artificial gravity and the more advanced propulsion systems (ion thrusters and solar sails). Then also stuff like how they identify the (possible) atmosphere of a planet.

Quick Reply

Latest