The Student Room Group

A Level French

Does anyone know any good techniques in order to complete the translation tasks in the AQA A Level French paper. I feel as if I struggle to do the translations correctly and sometimes I am unable to identify which english sentence will need to be translated to subjunctive!
Original post by pixelstar
Does anyone know any good techniques in order to complete the translation tasks in the AQA A Level French paper. I feel as if I struggle to do the translations correctly and sometimes I am unable to identify which english sentence will need to be translated to subjunctive!

This is basically a grammar exercise - so the answer is: revise your grammar!

In each sentence, try to identify the grammar point that is being tested before you start. Things to look out for (and therefore to revise!) are:

- the subjunctive
- use of personal pronouns (make sure you know the difference between direct and indirect object pronouns, and their order in a sentence)
- relative pronouns, particularly dont and ce qui / ce que
- tenses!!! Watch out for tenses with depuis, use of the future after expressions of time, use of tenses in reported speech - basically anything where tense use is different in French from that in English.
- use of the pronouns y and en
- use of the present participle, with or without the preposition en
- demonstrative pronouns (celui / celle / ceux / celles)
- passive voice, particularly cases where the passive voice is used in English but cannot be used in French, eg "I was told" = On m'a dit
- use of tricky adjectives and adverbs such as meilleur / mieux; mauvais / mal. Agreement of adjectives (some are invariable, others are very irregular).
- position of adjectives and adverbs.
Reply 2
Original post by Anna Schoon
This is basically a grammar exercise - so the answer is: revise your grammar!

In each sentence, try to identify the grammar point that is being tested before you start. Things to look out for (and therefore to revise!) are:

- the subjunctive
- use of personal pronouns (make sure you know the difference between direct and indirect object pronouns, and their order in a sentence)
- relative pronouns, particularly dont and ce qui / ce que
- tenses!!! Watch out for tenses with depuis, use of the future after expressions of time, use of tenses in reported speech - basically anything where tense use is different in French from that in English.
- use of the pronouns y and en
- use of the present participle, with or without the preposition en
- demonstrative pronouns (celui / celle / ceux / celles)
- passive voice, particularly cases where the passive voice is used in English but cannot be used in French, eg "I was told" = On m'a dit
- use of tricky adjectives and adverbs such as meilleur / mieux; mauvais / mal. Agreement of adjectives (some are invariable, others are very irregular).
- position of adjectives and adverbs.

Omg thank you so much for this!!! I appreciate it! Hopefully the translation tasks are not too difficult in tomorrows exam because I always get put off from the whole paper due to these questions.
Original post by pixelstar
Omg thank you so much for this!!! I appreciate it! Hopefully the translation tasks are not too difficult in tomorrows exam because I always get put off from the whole paper due to these questions.

Not much time for revision then, if the exam's tomorrow! Just try to break down each sentence into the main grammar points, hopefully that will help you not to panic. Bonne chance!
Reply 4
Original post by Anna Schoon
Not much time for revision then, if the exam's tomorrow! Just try to break down each sentence into the main grammar points, hopefully that will help you not to panic. Bonne chance!

Thank you so much for your help, will definitely try to do that!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending