Successful examples of government intervention? [Edexcel Economics B] Watch

Olmeister
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What are some successful examples of government intervention recently? I'd be delighted if someone could give me some ideas...

Thanks,
username2052983
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Olmeister)
What are some successful examples of government intervention recently? I'd be delighted if someone could give me some ideas...

Thanks,
https://www.tutor2u.net/economics/re...ion-in-markets

Im not sure if this helps but you could check it out
Olmeister
Rep:
?
(Original post by BintM)
https://www.tutor2u.net/economics/re...ion-in-markets

Im not sure if this helps but you could check it out
Yes, I've come across this... Was looking for any particular case studies where government intervention has helped though
username2052983
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, I've come across this... Was looking for any particular case studies where government intervention has helped though
Have you got paper 3 on Monday?
Olmeister
Rep:
?
Yes... Not really sure how to revise it... Trying to cover all bases regarding market failure and government intervention. Do you have it?

Do you think the questions will be solely on these topics, or will they bring other topics in to confuse us too?
harryleavey
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes... Not really sure how to revise it... Trying to cover all bases regarding market failure and government intervention. Do you have it?

Do you think the questions will be solely on these topics, or will they bring other topics in to confuse us too?
What makes you think the questions will only be on those 2 topics?
They can question anything in the specification. Not sure why this would be to 'confuse you'.
physicsamor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anything can be justified as successful, for example when the goverment privatised the energy market it was successful in the beginning at providing lower prices but in the long run it just has lead to higher prices

Another successful intervention was eu price caps, there was dispute that mobile phone companies were charging extortionate prices to customers on holiday in the EU now the rate is the same as it is in the UK

It's really how you justify it more or less there's loads of examples out there
username2052983
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Im focusing on financial markets and things like Brexit, also going over the topics i find more difficult. Not going through the whole thing as well there isn't much time.
Do I have what?
Watch econplusdals videos, nothing beats them.
I have a feeling it may be financial markets, I'd revise everything though, can never be sure. What exam board do you do?
Olmeister
Rep:
?
(Original post by harryleavey)
What makes you think the questions will only be on those 2 topics?
They can question anything in the specification. Not sure why this would be to 'confuse you'.
Because, the context of the exam on the pre-release is market failure and government intervention... Don't see how they'd be able to bring in other topics that have no link.. They obviously will to some extent though...
harryleavey
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because, the context of the exam on the pre-release is market failure and government intervention... Don't see how they'd be able to bring in other topics that have no link.. They obviously will to some extent though...
Clearly there has been a misunderstanding on my behalf. Sorry about that.

I am with Edexcel - So I assume you are not. We don't get a pre-release.

What exam board are you?
Olmeister
Rep:
?
Clearly there has been a misunderstanding on my behalf. Sorry about that.

I am with Edexcel - So I assume you are not. We don't get a pre-release.

What exam board are you?
I am with Edexcel too, doing Economics B? There is a pre-release for this... For Economics A I am not too sure if there is which could explain it..
harryleavey
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am with Edexcel too, doing Economics B? There is a pre-release for this... For Economics A I am not too sure if there is which could explain it..
Ahh okay. Yeah Im Economics A.
niteninja1
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

State intervention never works
harryleavey
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by niteninja1)
State intervention never works
I don't believe you Mr Hayek
niteninja1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't believe you Mr Hayek
It doesn't look at the banks we bailed them out and their still not making a profit
harryleavey
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by niteninja1)
It doesn't look at the banks we bailed them out and their still not making a profit
Why did the banks need bailing out?

Spoiler:
Show

Market failure

The consequences would have been far greater, had the banks not been rescued.
niteninja1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why did the banks need bailing out?

Spoiler:
Show

Market failure

The consequences would have been far greater, had the banks not been rescued.
No we should have done what Iceland did.
Bail out the people and arrest the bankers.
pointon.joel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by physicsamor)
Anything can be justified as successful, for example when the goverment privatised the energy market it was successful in the beginning at providing lower prices but in the long run it just has lead to higher prices

Another successful intervention was eu price caps, there was dispute that mobile phone companies were charging extortionate prices to customers on holiday in the EU now the rate is the same as it is in the UK

It's really how you justify it more or less there's loads of examples out there
Yeah they're some really good evaluation points, that "successful" is a normative criteria and depends on the government's objectives...
dan2808
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Another good example of government intervention is when Morrison took over SafeWay.
Due to SafeWays large number of stores across the UK, the Office of Fair Trading, the CMA's predecessor, forced Morrison to sell of over 50 of the SafeWay outlets to ensure a fair share of the market, preventing Morrison from gaining any monopoly power in certain locations

Some basic info on the case: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3542291.stm

OFT influence on the case: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3142180.stm

Hope this helps!
dan2808
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Also i need some help.

The pre-release says something about "market failure and its impact on stakeholders"

is this correct, for example, consumers may pay more for service if they have a lack of info.

Am i along the right lines?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (12)
7.06%
They've been reasonable (69)
40.59%
Not feeling great... (44)
25.88%
They are TERRIBLE! (45)