hsoras_2321
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
how much maths is involved in a level psychology? is it really complicated or is it just basic-medium maths skills?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There will be some token statistics, mostly descriptive statistics which you will have largely if not entirely covered at GCSE. You may be required to use inferential statistics in your coursework (I had to in IB HL Psychology coursework, but the syllabus is different so take that with a grain of salt) which is more at A-level standard (although you may have covered it in GCSE potentially), but isn't significantly harder. Also I would be surprised if you would be required to use inferential statistics in an exam.

Speak to your prospective psychology teacher at your school/college if you can; they can give you a much more accurate answer and you can discuss any concerns you have specifically with them in more depth.
Inbetweenersfan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there.

I've sat 2 of the papers for AQA A-Level Psychology and the 3rd one is next Thursday.

In response to your question, there isn't a lot of maths in Psychology. In our textbook, it says that Maths only covers 10% of the specification.

In paper 2, which covers research methods, the only Maths involved was a calculation of percentage decrease and a question on why a histogram should not be used to display a form of data.

Like the poster above me said, you may have to calculate descriptive statistics in an exam (mean, median, mode) but you will never have to calculate inferential statistics. In the latest papers, the test is already completed for you in the question and the only thing you have to do is decide whether to accept or reject the hypothesis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hsoras_2321
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Inbetweenersfan)
Hi there.

I've sat 2 of the papers for AQA A-Level Psychology and the 3rd one is next Thursday.

In response to your question, there isn't a lot of maths in Psychology. In our textbook, it says that Maths only covers 10% of the specification.

In paper 2, which covers research methods, the only Maths involved was a calculation of percentage decrease and a question on why a histogram should not be used to display a form of data.

Like the poster above me said, you may have to calculate descriptive statistics in an exam (mean, median, mode) but you will never have to calculate inferential statistics. In the latest papers, the test is already completed for you in the question and the only thing you have to do is decide whether to accept or reject the hypothesis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ok so basically nothing too hard or i haven't done before
Inbetweenersfan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not really.

It may look intimidating in the textbook because of all the calculations they include of how to carry out the tests but it doesn't really matter because it's already done for you.

There isn't anything too hard in regards to Maths for Psychology. The main part of Psychology is being able to describe and evaluate concepts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Open Day – BPC, GDL, LPC and MA Law - Bristol campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 18 Jan '20
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (74)
15.07%
1 (67)
13.65%
2 (64)
13.03%
20.37%
20.37%
5 (86)
17.52%

Watched Threads