The Student Room Group

In terms of funding does it matter what way round you do masters/pgce?

When I finish my degree my intention is to move into teaching. Though I would I also like to do a masters. If do the PGCE first does it affect any funding for a masters a couple of years later? Or is there no difference what way round you do this?

Thanks
Reply 1
No difference in terms of funding. Everyone is allowed PGCE funding regardless of previous degrees.

I did masters after as you can transfer the credits. In some cases doing your masters first may increase your bursary.
Reply 2
Its worth looking into carefully. My PGCE gives me 120 Masters credits for the future.

As the OP said, having a Masters can increase your bursary, however if you get your PGCE and QTS you can get a teaching job and do your Masters whilst you work. If you do your Masters first, you still need to do a PGCE to teach, delaying your earning for a year.

Also, you could do your Masters and then not complete your PGCE which could mean (depending on subject) your Masters wont help you earn more, so would be a waste of a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bob0079
Its worth looking into carefully. My PGCE gives me 120 Masters credits for the future.

As the OP said, having a Masters can increase your bursary, however if you get your PGCE and QTS you can get a teaching job and do your Masters whilst you work. If you do your Masters first, you still need to do a PGCE to teach, delaying your earning for a year.

Also, you could do your Masters and then not complete your PGCE which could mean (depending on subject) your Masters wont help you earn more, so would be a waste of a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is worth thinking about. My aim is to do maths which has a decent bursary.
Reply 4
If your Ba grade is high enough (2.2 from memory) then you will get max bursary anyway, so your better off doing your PGCE first (they may, however unlikely it seems, change bursary levels) having the masters credits in the bag and then doing yours masters whilst teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bob0079

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont really understand what is meant when people say the PGCE can contribute credits for masters: they mean for a masters in education right?

So if you need 180 credits for masters in education, you only need to top up a further 60 credits (which I guess is just a dissertation?)
Reply 6
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
I dont really understand what is meant when people say the PGCE can contribute credits for masters: they mean for a masters in education right?

So if you need 180 credits for masters in education, you only need to top up a further 60 credits (which I guess is just a dissertation?)

Yes an MA in Education (the specifics vary by institution). The number will also vary by institution but most put 60 credits towards a MA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending