Do A-levels matter after you have done your degree? Watch

Ihonestlydk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Im currently studying BTEC Level 3 Business and A level Psychology. I was wondering if I achieve a D*D* and a D in Psychology. Would this be bad? Would applying for jobs later on look at my A levels?
I just focused all my work on Business and left Psychology until last hence the bad grade.
I was interested in being a Health Psychologist or something else not quiet sure. Sure it's alot of work but if I put the work into Psychology at University, as I would be only focusing on that, would I be at an advantage if I get a good score for my degree which will show I have improved etc?
Zankou
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think employers would mainly look at how well you do in your degree.
A-Levels are more about getting into a good degree. It is the degree which then helps you get a job.
Nathanielle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ihonestlydk)
Im currently studying BTEC Level 3 Business and A level Psychology. I was wondering if I achieve a D*D* and a D in Psychology. Would this be bad? Would applying for jobs later on look at my A levels?
I just focused all my work on Business and left Psychology until last hence the bad grade.
I was interested in being a Health Psychologist or something else not quiet sure. Sure it's alot of work but if I put the work into Psychology at University, as I would be only focusing on that, would I be at an advantage if I get a good score for my degree which will show I have improved etc?
I think it might be difficult to get a place to study Psychology, in case this is your worst subject. In case you really like a subject you should be able to get more than a D at A Level. Not, that I don't know people, whose university grades, were much better than their A Levels, but they all got in at a time and place, where grades did not count that much for admisson. Hence, your first concern should be, to get a place on a program. Whether the A Levels are still looked on later on, it is not really possible to say. Some companies use them to filter out applicants, but for psychology I don't know.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's very uncommon, a few IBanking roles might put up A-level requirements but nobody really cares realistically.
Ihonestlydk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Nathanielle)
I think it might be difficult to get a place to study Psychology, in case this is your worst subject. In case you really like a subject you should be able to get more than a D at A Level. Not, that I don't know people, whose university grades, were much better than their A Levels, but they all got in at a time and place, where grades did not count that much for admisson. Hence, your first concern should be, to get a place on a program. Whether the A Levels are still looked on later on, it is not really possible to say. Some companies use them to filter out applicants, but for psychology I don't know.
Im interested in Psychology, I'm doing a foundation year which requires a D at A level and a DM in BTEC then was think about, once I complete my FD year I will move on to my degree in BSc Psychology. Once I've done this and hopefully achieved high to do a masters in Health Psychology and got a good score for that too, would employers matter about my A levels at this point after spending alot of time at university studying and getting the best grade possible?
Or would they still need evidence for A level results?
I would have taken a gap year to resist the exam, however my parents keep shouting at me and don't want me taking a gap year which honestly annoys me alot.
Nathanielle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ihonestlydk)
Im interested in Psychology, I'm doing a foundation year which requires a D at A level and a DM in BTEC then was think about, once I complete my FD year I will move on to my degree in BSc Psychology. Once I've done this and hopefully achieved high to do a masters in Health Psychology and got a good score for that too, would employers matter about my A levels at this point after spending alot of time at university studying and getting the best grade possible?
Or would they still need evidence for A level results?
I would have taken a gap year to resist the exam, however my parents keep shouting at me and don't want me taking a gap year which honestly annoys me alot.
I would maybe contact directly the Universities or professional bodies. (I don't know all the details about psychology in the UK.) The problem is, sometimes rules changes during our studies, so nobody really can say, what will be in five years and where exactly you want to work/apply. But there is always a risk, you could also have an A at A Level and then walk out with a third in your Bachelor. But that you would do a foundation year, universities should accept that and you are in another position, than just applying with A Levels/BTEC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?