6 mark question about stars (physics) - how many marks is my response?

Watch
Traore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My response roughly.. don't judge me since I'm a dumb student:

A protonstar (I know it's protostar, mistake) is formed by dust reacting with gas under gravity. The star, a similar size to the sun, becomes a red giant and collapses under it's own gravity to form a white dwarf. The white dwarf then cools and loses it's brightness to become a black dwarf.

It doesn't seem like I've wrote enough for 6 marks.. maybe I missed part of the question or just forgot what I wrote..
GallyWix007
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is that all you wrote for the 6 marker or is there more?
Ukvoltaire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Traore)

A protonstar (I know it's protostar, mistake) is formed by dust reacting with gas under gravity. The star, a similar size to the sun, becomes a red giant and collapses under it's own gravity to form a white dwarf. The white dwarf then cools and loses it's brightness to become a black dwarf.

It doesn't seem like I've wrote enough for 6 marks.. maybe I missed part of the question or just forgot what I wrote..
You will probably get 3 marks, because you have described the cycle of star that has similar size to the Sun.

You develop, you should've talked about the cycle of a star bigger than a Sun. This is that it goes and becomes a supernova, which is an explosion and this leads onto a black hole or neutron star.

Something like that anyway. But I am sure you will get 3 marks for that question so don't worry.
username2805430
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Traore)

what was the question? is this P7?
Rarest
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ukvoltaire)
You will probably get 3 marks, because you have described the cycle of star that has similar size to the Sun.

You develop, you should've talked about the cycle of a star bigger than a Sun. This is that it goes and becomes a supernova, which is an explosion and this leads onto a black hole or neutron star.

Something like that anyway. But I am sure you will get 3 marks for that question so don't worry.
No, the question only said to describe stars similar to our sun.
But I still don't think the OP got full marks.
You forgot to mention main sequence and the fusion of hydrogen atoms.
Ukvoltaire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rarest)
No, the question only said to describe stars similar to our sun.
But I still don't think the OP got full marks.
You forgot to mention main sequence and the fusion of hydrogen atoms.
Yeah, you have to mention that first and then talk about the cycle of the stars. I'm sure the question said describe the life cycle of stars. It did not specifically say whether to write about stars similar to the Sun or bigger than the Sun. So you were expected to write about both cycles.
Rarest
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ukvoltaire)
Yeah, you have to mention that first and then talk about the cycle of the stars. I'm sure the question said describe the life cycle of stars. It did not specifically say whether to write about stars similar to the Sun or bigger than the Sun. So you were expected to write about both cycles.
What? O. O for the aqa one I'm pretty sure it said "such as our sun" somewhere.
Traore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The question did say "such as the sun" which I inferred meant a similar size to the sun.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.15%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (88)
28.48%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
12.94%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise