Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

New medical schools Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know Anglia Ruskin want to open one for 2018 entry, also heard of Aston Medical School, are there any others?

ReputationRep:
    UCLan are quite new; they also now offer an undergraduate Physician Assistant/Associate integrated masters (so you don't have to do bioscience degree + 2 year masters with placements). ARU is news to me though I was aware they seem to be expanding their biomedical related courses lately so I suppose it makes sense as a prelude to a medical course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    UCLan are quite new; they also now offer an undergraduate Physician Assistant/Associate integrated masters (so you don't have to do bioscience degree + 2 year masters with placements). ARU is news to me though I was aware they seem to be expanding their biomedical related courses lately so I suppose it makes sense as a prelude to a medical course.
    UCLAN are for international students :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhoDaresWins)
    UCLAN are for international students :/
    Ah I didn't realise; it does indicate they have 2 scholarships for UK students, although I imagine competition for those will be so high as to negate the usefulness in applying there for one of the 4 UCAS choices...

I have doubts ARU completing the new facilities by 2018, although I have no idea what timescale the GMC and government runs on for accrediting programmes and arranging funding for them, respectively.

I suspect the latter problem was the cause for UCLan's programme to be international only; we may see it transition to a typical medical course in coming years if the Conservatives stop gutting every government budget that isn't used for stockpiling nuclear weapons...

ReputationRep:
    University of Bradford are hoping to open one

ReputationRep:
    Although this is good news for people like me who are hoping to do GEM as it may mean less competition? But I really hope this does not turn into a situation like with pharmacy where we end up with a large excess number of graduates.

ReputationRep:
    In addition to the new ones, the existing ones are being heavily pressured into expanding. Oxford is going to expand its GEM program, for instance.

ReputationRep:
    Will be interesting to see where ARU plan to place its students, seeing as Addenbrooke's is already overflowing now Cambridge has had to expand its clinical course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Optimist)
    Although this is good news for people like me who are hoping to do GEM as it may mean less competition? But I really hope this does not turn into a situation like with pharmacy where we end up with a large excess number of graduates.
    Well, there is currently a shortage of doctors. Who knows what the situation will be like in 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Will be interesting to see where ARU plan to place its students, seeing as Addenbrooke's is already overflowing now Cambridge has had to expand its clinical course.
    It's based in Chelmsford, not Cambridge from what I can find, so it should avoid that issue. I imagine that was part of the shift of the biomedical stuff to the Chelmsford campus originally, and since there isn't a local medical school in the Essex area as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    It's based in Chelmsford, not Cambridge from what I can find, so it should avoid that issue. I imagine that was part of the shift of the biomedical stuff to the Chelmsford campus originally, and since there isn't a local medical school in the Essex area as far as I know.
    Oh yeah, I always forget they have that campus too. There aren't any medical schools in Essex, but neither are there any big university teaching hospitals, so it would all be DGH-based. But that's what Buckingham seem to be doing with MK hospital, so I guess it could work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    But that's what Buckingham seem to be doing with MK hospital, so I guess it could work.
    If we're going to increase med school places then i guess its going to have to!

I guess if people from said med schools want experience in e.g. neurosurgery, paeds surgery etc then it'll have to be via optional placements and/or elective only.

Poll
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.