The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Computer Science Paper 2 June 22nd 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mahmzo
a* - 82
a - 74
b - 65

Last year in AS, if you sat AS CompSci Exams, it was around 56% for a B and 64% for an A Overall
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mahmzo
a* - 82
a - 74
b - 65

Don't you think that's a bit steep considering that its only the first year of the new spec?
Original post by MarshJam
Don't you think that's a bit steep considering that its only the first year of the new spec?

lol i always think worst case scenario, i wouldnt want them to be that high
Original post by mahmzo
lol i always think worst case scenario, i wouldnt want them to be that high

I totally agree. I have no idea how well I've done. I look at these unofficial MS but it's too hard to judge. I'm currently looking at like 85~ for the first paper and 80~ for the second.

No idea if that will be enough for an A* though :frown: #feelsbad
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
Was this the bandwidth thing? If so, the answer is log₂8 = 3. And then the bit rate = bandwidth * baud rate = 500 * 3 = 1500.

Ahhh ok thanks. Wasn't sure so just took some guesses

I've seen a lot of similar answers to yours but I am convinced B+C is correct.

Yeah, the majority of answers I've seen are B+C. I had a bit of time at the end so made a truth table and I'm pretty sure all my values worked but who knows.

Could have been direct addressing (number refers to memory location) or immediate addressing (number is a binary value).

Yeah maybe, wasn't sure what to put

I think I got the same trace table (definitely returned 1 to address 102); I reckon what it checked was whether [value in 100] * 5 = [value in 101], but I've not seen anyone else who got an answer to that bit.

Yeah, I put it was to check if the next memory location was 5 times bigger as a guess

Worth noting other values are possible in the last octet (as long as your value is between 1 and 255 inclusive).

Yep, sorry. Should've included this as I believe it was in the markscheme for one of the specimen papers

I thought this was a non-key dependency problem, so the database went from 2NF to 3NF. This is good for data integrity because if one person owns two cars there would have been duplicated data.

Sounds about right. I imagine there's a list of possible answers

What question was this? I think I got 22 somewhere in that question, but don't recognise -5.

One of the final floating point questions. My friends got the same and I'm pretty sure it was a negative value. Not recalling 22 anywhere I'm afraid.
Original post by mahmzo
Hey for 10.7 I did the same however my table name I used wasn't very good and descriptive I put CarPart. Will I lose marks for this :/ annoying because I couldn't think of anything haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I shouldn't think so mate. Question seemed more about knowing how to deal with the issue, not so much making it user friendly
Original post by mahmzo
a* - 82
a - 74
b - 65

Not sure they'll be this high as an A was 66 in the AS level. They'll definitely be higher than the AS due to it being an A level + the paper felt relatively easy. compared to the specimen papers. Probably somewhere between the two?
Original post by cb799
Are you allowed to put two answers if you clearly state the circumstances? The floating point question didn't specify if two's complement was being used, so I said that if it was being used it was -5, and if it wasn't being used it was 11. Anyone able to give an insight as to whether this would be fine?
The AQA spec states that "Exam questions on floating point numbers will use a format in which both the mantissa and exponent are represented using two's complement." so it's supposed to be sort of implicit in the question that it's in two's complement.

However, I think it depends on the examiner marking it. I would give you the mark without a second thought but a more strict examiner may not.
So any computer will have a clock, and the clock has a 'pulse'. In a modern day computer the clock may pulse a few billion times per second. The clock is actually just a binary value that flicks between 0 and 1 on every pulse.

The edge-triggered D-type flip-flop (sometimes they leave the 'edge-triggered' phrase out but it's the same thing) has two inputs: whatever needs to be stored, and the clock pulse. When the clock pulse flicks from 0 to 1 (the 'positive edge':wink:, the flip-flop essentially takes a snapshot of its other input at that point. It'll store this until the clock pulse reaches the next positive edge.

So if the other input is 1, and the clock reaches the positive edge, the D-type flip-flop is storing the value of 1. If the other input changes to 0, the D-type flip-flop is still at 1. But then the clock reaches its next positive edge, and the D-type flip-flop's value changes to 0.

Dude not kidding i read this like 10 minutes before my exam, you literally got me 3 marks
Original post by Myachii
Dude not kidding i read this like 10 minutes before my exam, you literally got me 3 marks
Haha pretty lucky. Glad I helped.
Original post by James Clawley

1.2 - Not sure, put the MBR contents might need to be transferred to ALU?

Pretty sure that if the instruction was decoded in MBR then if there is a direct address operand, the MAR would get the address of the datum and bring it back into the MBR which would overwrite the contents of the MBR and hence the current instruction. Therefore the program would not run any further.

7 - Possible for data to be collected because of SSID broadcasting. Can be stopped by turning of SSID broadcasting or adding a MAC address whitelist or adding WPA2 encryption. Legal issues - Data Protection Act and Computer Misuse Act. Copyright issues etc. Ethic issues - sensitive data can lead to blackmail and taking the data is essentially stealing. Lessons learnt are stricter monitoring of staff, product evaluation etc.

I did the 3 same security measures as you mentioned.

I didn't mention the Data protection though as it is irrelevant here- that assumes the data was acquired legally in the first place.

I mentioned the engineers may not feel what they did was morally wrong if they believed their product would be improving peoples lives more than it harmed them as they did not have nefarious intentions but the engineers should understand fundamentally it is wrong.
As a result it may encourage the company to promote the public to secure their networks to prevent other people with more severe intentions from hacking them.

10.4 - UPDATE Job, SET JobDuration =: "1:30", WHERE JobID = "206"

I'm not too sure about "1:30" as that implies it is a string, personally I went for 1.5 ie 1.5 hours == 1hr30m

10.5 - UPDATE PartUsedForJob, SET QuantityUsed = "2", WHERE PartID = "12"

I did an insert here.

10.7 - Create new table called ValidPart and attribute PartID, Make and Model. Alternatively, add ValidParts field into Car or ValidMakes and ValidModels fields into Part

Covered all bases here, nice!

11.3 - -5

I think a few people came out with -3, I seem to think I got -5 so I'm not too sure.

Please let me know your thoughts on these points! Very Interested to hear
Original post by Frankly Shankly
Pretty sure that if the instruction was decoded in MBR then if there is a direct address operand, the MAR would get the address of the datum and bring it back into the MBR which would overwrite the contents of the MBR and hence the current instruction. Therefore the program would not run any further.

Yeah seems about right, not sure on the exact answer but it'll but something along these lines

I didn't mention the Data protection though as it is irrelevant here- that assumes the data was acquired legally in the first place.

Fair point, i put it as i had a bit of time and wanted to make sure I could gain every mark I possibly could. Pretty sure they don't mark you down for adding in extra content which isn't necessarily included in the markscheme

I mentioned the engineers may not feel what they did was morally wrong if they believed their product would be improving peoples lives more than it harmed them as they did not have nefarious intentions but the engineers should understand fundamentally it is wrong.
As a result it may encourage the company to promote the public to secure their networks to prevent other people with more severe intentions from hacking them.

Again, good point. I didn't really put much for the company learning from the incident so this is good padding for a few extra marks if anyone else put this.

I'm not too sure about "1:30" as that implies it is a string, personally I went for 1.5 ie 1.5 hours == 1hr30m

The "" represent a value for the field in the SQL, not a string. A string would be defined as a VARCHAR in the initial creation of the relationship. All values specified must be surrounded by "" hence their presence. As for the value, the question specified "1:30" which is why I used that as the value, though I'm sure it's open to interpretation in the markscheme (much like the data type for currency can be represented using different terms like SMALLMONEY and CURRENCY etc.)

I did an insert here.

Still unsure as to whether an insert or update is correct. I wasn't sure in the exam so just gambled with an update. Either could be correct from my viewpoint but I guess we'l have to see what the markscheme says.

I think a few people came out with -3, I seem to think I got -5 so I'm not too sure.

Not sure anyone I knew came out with -3. We had a couple of positive values (i think mainly 11?) from people who didn't realise it was two's complement but that's the only real discrepancy I've heard of I'm afraid.

Thanks for the feedback. All of my answers/opinions are subjective and could be incorrect so sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to push my answers as the official markscheme or anything!
Reply 112
Does anyone have the unofficial paper for it?
How does everyone feel like they've done? I'm anxious about tomorrow - most worried about CS because of Paper 1.
Original post by Zentox
How does everyone feel like they've done? I'm anxious about tomorrow - most worried about CS because of Paper 1.

I'm nervous too. I'd like to think I've got at least an A, but can't be certain.
Original post by Tuffyandtab
I'm nervous too. I'd like to think I've got at least an A, but can't be certain.

The spec says it isnt available to private candidates - how are we meant to resit if we need to? (Anyone know?)
Original post by Zentox
The spec says it isnt available to private candidates - how are we meant to resit if we need to? (Anyone know?)

Anyone know the grade boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best of luck everyone , hopefully the aqa gods are merciful with us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending